Rotation Evaluation Comments: How to Interpret

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

avivace

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Halfway through my third year, my rotation comments mostly boil down to "Avivace is a pleasant student who plays well with others and acts like a responsible adult". At first I wasn't too concerned, since those are definitely things I would look for when evaluating someone I might work with someday, but now I'm starting to wonder if I need to do something different. I recently learned that these comments are included in the dean's letter and the sample the school provided made it sound like a good evaluation comment should reference how you cured cancer during your IM rotation, where I was just focused on learning how to diagnose and treat (and navigate the EMR and the hospital itself).

What qualities do residency directors actually look for in these comments, if anything? Should I be concerned? Will good grades (A's and A-'s) and board scores help mitigate any damage from the lack of superlatives or comments describing how, as a third year student, I astonished the attendings with my brilliance? It's not that I wouldn't love to do that, but it does seem unlikely.

Members don't see this ad.

not sure what you can do about this besides do your best, so aside from responding appropriately to the feedback in comments, not really sure there's anything to be gained by worrying about something you have no control over besides doing your best

"Avivace is a pleasant student who plays well with others and acts like a responsible adult".

If this is all true, then you are an outlier. They will be beating on your door begging for a responsible adult who gets along well with others in the medical arena

True story: a PD and a Resident got into a fist fight a few years ago, wrestling and shoving, somewhere south of the Mason Dixon line. The Resident was dismissed. The PD got fired but landed a job at a county hospital with a very prestiguous program

IOW: getting along with people is a skillset few possess. Keep up the great work!

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I hope so. It just seemed odd to be praised for things I've been expected to do since either kindergarten or when I got my first job at 15. I was starting to wonder why that was the best thing they could think of to say and if "can tie her own shoes" was going to make an appearance soon. I'd be happier to earn a comment on my knowledge or clinical skills, but should probably just work with what I have. Crayola has a good point about worrying, but if it was a major issue I was going to steal time from sleep and exercise to study more, at least on a few rotations.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Agreed those are good comments and assuming they are accompanied by a decent overall application will serve you well applying to whatever field you like.

Halfway through my third year, my rotation comments mostly boil down to "Avivace is a pleasant student who plays well with others and acts like a responsible adult". At first I wasn't too concerned, since those are definitely things I would look for when evaluating someone I might work with someday, but now I'm starting to wonder if I need to do something different. I recently learned that these comments are included in the dean's letter and the sample the school provided made it sound like a good evaluation comment should reference how you cured cancer during your IM rotation, where I was just focused on learning how to diagnose and treat (and navigate the EMR and the hospital itself).

What qualities do residency directors actually look for in these comments, if anything? Should I be concerned? Will good grades (A's and A-'s) and board scores help mitigate any damage from the lack of superlatives or comments describing how, as a third year student, I astonished the attendings with my brilliance? It's not that I wouldn't love to do that, but it does seem unlikely.
Ask for feedback 1/2 way through your rotation, and try to respond to the comments given. The students who rotate with me that do this have all received better evaluations from me because I honestly can see what they are capable of. We see new students every week. It's difficult to stand out.

Honestly, I'm going to give all the highest scores and great comments when I eval students as a resident (something a lot of my classmates also are going to do as well). You're evaluated literally on nothing as a third year med student, and I hated the subjectivity and luck involved with third year grades.

subjective evaluations are horse ****. on my OB rotation, I was evaluated by 3 attendings in total: 1 who I worked with for 1 half day of clinic during my first week of the rotation, and she did not complete my evaluation until 4+ weeks after the rotation ended, another who I rounded with 1 time and did not even present a patient to, and the other who I worked with for 1 half day of clinic. All of these evaluations were extremely generic and straight down the middle "third year student" on the grading scales, so you could tell they had no idea who I was and put exactly zero effort into doing the evaluations. Even though I destroyed the written exam as well as the oral exam, I received a HP for the rotation because of these completely ridiculous evaluations. Not that big a deal, but it essentially cost me a shot at AOA considering I honored my other rotations. Clinical grading is stupid

subjective evaluations are horse ****. on my OB rotation, I was evaluated by 3 attendings in total: 1 who I worked with for 1 half day of clinic during my first week of the rotation, and she did not complete my evaluation until 4+ weeks after the rotation ended, another who I rounded with 1 time and did not even present a patient to, and the other who I worked with for 1 half day of clinic. All of these evaluations were extremely generic and straight down the middle "third year student" on the grading scales, so you could tell they had no idea who I was and put exactly zero effort into doing the evaluations. Even though I destroyed the written exam as well as the oral exam, I received a HP for the rotation because of these completely ridiculous evaluations. Not that big a deal, but it essentially cost me a shot at AOA considering I honored my other rotations. Clinical grading is stupid
That's unfortunate and it's harmful. I've written evaluations for third and fourth year medical students for several years. I put an enormous amount of effort into their education, in providing face-to-face evaluation during the rotation, and providing in-person feedback at the end. There is nothing subjective about it at all. I pay attention, so their evaluation is real. This is not uncommon for my faculty colleagues either.

That's unfortunate and it's harmful. I've written evaluations for third and fourth year medical students for several years. I put an enormous amount of effort into their education, in providing face-to-face evaluation during the rotation, and providing in-person feedback at the end. There is nothing subjective about it at all. I pay attention, so their evaluation is real. This is not uncommon for my faculty colleagues either.

What would you recommend to a student facing a similar dilemma, especially if this happens in a rotation of a specialty they are seriously considering? It would be tragic if the student has to change specialty interests because some attending who didn’t bother to put any effort into evaluations ultimately ruined the student’s chances of honoring and finding the experience meaningful.

What would you recommend to a student facing a similar dilemma, especially if this happens in a rotation of a specialty they are seriously considering? It would be tragic if the student has to change specialty interests because some attending who didn’t bother to put any effort into evaluations ultimately ruined the student’s chances of honoring and finding the experience meaningful.
Ask for feedback mid-rotation. It's a massive help, it shows initiative, and people will watch you more carefully. Also, most specialties will weigh a sub-I FAR more heavily than a core rotation because the attending will really get to know you. Never do a sub-I unless it's your home institution. You won't know how the hospital works, and you simply cannot look as good as a local student whom you will be compared to.

It is unfortunate that some students just have 'bad luck' in who they draw for a particular rotation, and it can alter their career trajectory. For example, I was quite open-minded about general surgery but the attendings on service when I was a medical student unfortunately were not engaged in education and they didn't impress me; therefore I never considered it as a career. Classmates of mine had a completely different experience with other attendings, and so redirected their initial career plans to that specialty. Part of it is luck also.

Ask for feedback mid-rotation. It's a massive help, it shows initiative, and people will watch you more carefully. Also, most specialties will weigh a sub-I FAR more heavily than a core rotation because the attending will really get to know you. Never do a sub-I unless it's your home institution. You won't know how the hospital works, and you simply cannot look as good as a local student whom you will be compared to.

What about situations where you don't have a home residency program to do a sub-I? What do you recommend?

You have no control over subjective comments. Focus on honoring the shelf and learning how to tie management to pathophysiology. Also learn how to present and write SOAP notes. That’s it.

Things people like:

-Keeping it simple. Its better to say too little and be prompted for more. Don’t be bear boned and come off as clueless for presentations, but too much detail bores people (whether it’s presentations, talking to residents, etc). The reason I say this is because after two years of medical science and patient skills activities where they are taught to ask everything from travel history to palpate the thyroid , students tend to say more. Think of it as a test where you have to saying the relevant gets you points, but the irrelevant makes you lose points. Don’t play the “let me include XYZ” in case it’s important.

-Pimp questions are not meant to test your knowledge, but to humble you. If you don’t know something and they tell you, show genuine gratitude.
———————————————————-
Some things that make people upset:

-Any vibe you give them to display intelligence or even imply you can do something that’s their job turns residents off. Like cool dude, if they worked the
same ours as us and had no responsibility, they’d have time review and rattle off the differential for a headache too.

-Trying hard with your words, but not actions.
Residents are the accountants of work done in the hospital. They know exactly what you did for the patient so when you act super interested/enthusiastic, but dip without seeing your patient, they’ll understand you’re just after their validation and will lose respect for you.

-Getting in their way. Sometimes residents don’t even bother to hide the fact that they don’t need you there...but unfortunately the reality is they still expect you there. It’s a respect thing...Unfortunately this means you need to basically be the son who sits next to his dad for 4 hours doing nothing, but handing him a tool every once in a while. If you really need to study, you can try the standard “anything else I can do” line which I recommend. Otherwise, have patience and maybe they’ll teach you something later, but who knows if it’ll be useful. Sucky situation to be in tbh.

-Asking needless questions or questions at inopportune times. While some residents are nicer than others, they’re not your encyclopedia and they know when you ask questions you already know the answer to.
———————————————————-
Some things you can do to impress attendings:

-Try to have a plan ready. The best way is to look at a resident note and see what they did for their plan yesterday and use their suggestions as a template in coming up with a new plan. Warfarin on today? Can he eat? Does a service have to be called? Does he need any labs or can we stop any labs? Try to run it by the resident. Also, be ready to answer why you did certain aspects of your plan because attendings are wary of people who take shortcuts.

-Know details like that the patient has a daughter in college or something you can tell the attending (DON’T FORCE IT) that they can then use to develop rapport with the patient. I know all that seems lost in busy ritual of rounding, but attendings appreciate it.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
I supervise the medical students in our department and one thing I definitely have noticed is that I tend to have more specific and positive things to write about when my students are around, engaging with my team (registrar, resident, nurses, allied health), wanting to get stuck in and take the initiative to want to present cases to me (instead of me chasing them). For example I can say they work well within the team, communicate well, are able to present in a structured way, are self-directed in their learning. Otherwise I’m stuck with saying the standard things like they attended, were punctual, were pleasant.