Rotation in covid-heavy area- ask for online?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Doc_Ock

First Aid is life
Removed
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Current 3rd year in a small remote area which has left us largely unaffected by covid. In January I have to go to a different site for a rotation that my site doesn't have but in all honesty with covid spiking it's making me more than a little nervous. I personally know a doctor who died from covid (no pre-existing problems, healthy as a horse). Our school has been doing online rotations so I'd hardly be the first but I don't want to be difficult or do something that's a bad look but by outright asking for it. Thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Are they going to make you see COVID patients? My hospital forbids it. And will you have an N95?

I'm in an area with high covid density and currently on rotation. A small handful of students at the school have gotten it (like 5) and "contact tracing" (if you trust that stuff) determined it came from personal interactions.

I understand the fear though, both for your hearlth and your family's.

Are they going to make you see COVID patients? My hospital forbids it. And will you have an N95?

I'm in an area with high covid density and currently on rotation. A small handful of students at the school have gotten it (like 5) and "contact tracing" (if you trust that stuff) determined it came from personal interactions.

I understand the fear though, both for your hearlth and your family's.
No idea. It's a psych rotation but ffs it's a hospital full of sick people. Here's another layer- since it's away from my normal rotation my school will pay for housing... but it's a student dorm type apartment with 3 other people also going to the hospital. Yeah, seems totally safe. Of course I could pay through the nose to live somewhere else but that would be several grand (not a lot of options in the area)

• Wow
Members don't see this ad :)
No idea. It's a psych rotation but ffs it's a hospital full of sick people. Here's another layer- since it's away from my normal rotation my school will pay for housing... but it's a student dorm type apartment with 3 other people also going to the hospital. Yeah, seems totally safe. Of course I could pay through the nose to live somewhere else but that would be several grand (not a lot of options in the area)
Currently on rotation in a hospital with 100+ COVID patients (almost at capacity). I am not allowed to see any COVID patients, known or suspected. I honestly don't see it as such a huge deal, I wear a mask and have eyewear when I need it. I think the bigger issue is probably the living situation lol, unless you manage to more or less avoid the people you're living with and/or wear a mask around them.

I'd say if you completely couldn't care less about psych and want to have a chill month online, go for it. Otherwise, I don't see it as a huge deal.

Reactions: 2 users

Isn't that true of your other rotations? Or have you not had any?

Bigger issue is definitely the living situation. Comes down to if you want psych I guess?

Reactions: 1 users
Isn't that true of your other rotations? Or have you not had any?

Bigger issue is definitely the living situation. Comes down to if you want psych I guess?
Where I currently am we have almost no cases. Where I would be going there is a quite a bit.

I was on my EM rotation as a third year elective in a relatively hard hit COVID area and we were seeing like 2-3 confirmed COVID cases per day. And I was coming into contact with all of them, because it's the ER, they aren't tested before they come. After a nurse tested positive I contacted our coordinator and told her to transfer me to something else, I wasn't gonna risk my health like that. Do what you gotta do man, stay safe and don't let peer pressure of being "tough" get you sick.

Have you looked into staying at a hotel for the rotation. Not sure what options are in your area, but some hotels can be had for a decently cheap price if you’re staying for awhile. Even if you have to shell out the $, it would be worth it for the peace of mind.

I was on my EM rotation as a third year elective in a relatively hard hit COVID area and we were seeing like 2-3 confirmed COVID cases per day. And I was coming into contact with all of them, because it's the ER, they aren't tested before they come. After a nurse tested positive I contacted our coordinator and told her to transfer me to something else, I wasn't gonna risk my health like that. Do what you gotta do man, stay safe and don't let peer pressure of being "tough" get you sick.

This mindset makes no sense.

You're going to see COVID patients everywhere. It's not being "tough", it's doing your job.

Reactions: 5 users
Yeah no.

You're going to see COVID patients everywhere. It's not being "tough", it's doing your job.
Youd be surprised about how many of my non-medical friends/family member ask me why i cant just opt not to see covid patients....

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Yeah no.

Did you not learn about the XX number of other viruses that DO and HAVE caused myocarditis in the past? I've seen it even several times before COVID (even disregarding the fact she also tested positive for Parvo). News agencies didn't constantly post about the previous cases of mycarditis? Click bait. You might as well leave medicine if you're scared of possibly getting myocarditis.

• Love
Reactions: 5 users

It's not your "job", you're a medical student. If you think it's your "job" you're taking your role as med student way too seriously. You're not responsible for those patients, nor are you being paid to see them. You're paying to be there to learn.

If you read my comment I'm talking about the ER. In every other rotation you will mostly be dealing with patients who have already tested negative for COVID. In the ER you are most prone to interacting with positive COVID cases who haven't been detected yet. I was literally in a COVID patient's room for extended periods of time and then later found out they were positive. So no, you will not be seeing those types of patients every where.

With the exception being as medical students the system functions 100% without them. It's not their job so much as it is all risk and no benefit.

Hence, no med student is allowed to see COVID patients at my institution. They're infection risks to both themselves and everyone else without actually being able to contribute to patient care beyond an occasional note in Epic copied by the resident then copied by the attending. Cui bono?

Reactions: 3 users
FWIW, I just had a clerkship where they had free dorm housing with the medical and nursing students and I got COVID from one of the other students and now I am off rotations for 2 weeks.

• Sad
FWIW, I just had a clerkship where they had free dorm housing with the medical and nursing students and I got COVID from one of the other students and now I am off rotations for 2 weeks.
WHAT?! Ok f*** this then.

Current 3rd year in a small remote area which has left us largely unaffected by covid. In January I have to go to a different site for a rotation that my site doesn't have but in all honesty with covid spiking it's making me more than a little nervous. I personally know a doctor who died from covid (no pre-existing problems, healthy as a horse). Our school has been doing online rotations so I'd hardly be the first but I don't want to be difficult or do something that's a bad look but by outright asking for it. Thoughts?

If you know it's a covid hit area I'd do my absolute best to avoid it, even if I was interested in Psychiatry. Your health comes first and everyone is very understanding of the situation. If a residency program wants to dock you for this, it's not a program you'd be wanting (at least I wouldn't be wanting) to go to in the first place either. That's my opinion.

DM'ed you

Caught covid while voting and missed two weeks of rotations. Was not a fan. I think this is a tough personal choice to make. Dorm house isn't necessarily an issue if you are willing to lock yourself in your room and wipe things down.

Do you know if psych patients will be getting a COVID test prior to admission?

Maybe someone else can comment on if psych patients typically wear masks in the hospital?

Answering these questions might help any decision you make.

Caught covid while voting and missed two weeks of rotations. Was not a fan. I think this is a tough personal choice to make. Dorm house isn't necessarily an issue if you are willing to lock yourself in your room and wipe things down.

Do you know if psych patients will be getting a COVID test prior to admission?

Maybe someone else can comment on if psych patients typically wear masks in the hospital?

Answering these questions might help any decision you make.
Considering someone on this thread still caught covid with a private room, that's not enough.