ROTC student rejected from med school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

more23910

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,
I am currently in undergrad as premed student and contracted with ROTC. I am wondering what happens if I don't get into med school my first go around. Is there any way I can apply again or are my medical school dreams over? What are my options if I don't get in?

Any advice would be awesome, thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Serve out your military commission then apply if you don't get in

Members don't see this ad :)
You will commission into whatever branch you are assessed. Depending on your circumstances, you may be able to get into a post-bac program that will allow a medical school acceptance. In these cases with which I am familiar, the deferment of your ROTC obligation will be contingent on acceptance of HPSP, in which case any remaining ROTC commitment will be additive with HPSP. Otherwise, you will serve out your ROTC obligation and be free to pursue medical school in whatever manner you see fit.

I'm commissioning through rotc next week and then going to medical school with the HPSP. I felt very lucky things worked out for me, but if I had to do it again I would of never taken the rotc scholarship.

But alas, I did it, so can you!

Pm, or openly ask, any questions you want about my journey through rotc to med school.

I did this as well. My advice is when you begin to apply for medical school, save up that stipend money and apply as broadly as possible, both DO and MD schools. If you get into an MD school, great. If not and you go DO, at least you won't be contracting into med services for four years. You won't have the opportunity to take a year off and apply the next cycle. When applications roll around make sure you have your apps in the first day it opens as secondaries will be rolling in soon after. You will probably be in LDAC when some of those secondaries come back so what I did was speak to the NCO or officer in charge of your platoon and politely explain how important a short turn around is for those documents. Mine allowed me to print them out, complete them, and mail them back while I was in LDAC. That way you don't have to explain a one month turn around. You might have some issues with scheduling classes concurrently with ROTC classes and labs, at least I did. The best tool you have is charm. Explain to your cadre early and often how important your classes/ MCAT prep/research/labs are. Some won't care, but some may cut you some slack. You want them on your side when you need time off. You might have a 3 day FTX the weekend before a big test.

If you don't get in and are still gunning for medical school after the Army (I'm just assuming you're Army), you have a few options. Obviously something medical would set you up for the most success. However, I was enlisted with a combat oriented job prior to coming to med school and I think it made my application stand out from the pack. That's just an n of one though. Pick something you'll be happy doing for four years because at that point, that's what you'll be committed to doing. Do the best you possibly can at your chosen career and reapply. Good luck, ROTC to med school is tough.

Reactions: 1 user
I just commissioned via rotc and branched active duty MSC. I'm applying to med school in a few weeks and plan on applying to HPSP while one active duty. I called branch and they said they need more mil doctors than 2LTs so they would grant me the conditional release.

I just commissioned via rotc and branched active duty MSC. I'm applying to med school in a few weeks and plan on applying to HPSP while one active duty. I called branch and they said they need more mil doctors than 2LTs so they would grant me the conditional release.
This is not as easy or as straightforward as your branch reps think. Talk to your S1, CO, and BC when you get to your first duty station, and find an AMEDD recruiter in the region. Expect it to take much longer than you'd think, even if you're lucky enough to find a chain of command who doesn't mind losing a new 2LT without backfill.