Army ROTC to medical school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Marilsanya

Pre-Pre-Med
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys. This is my first time posting, and I have a question that's been causing problems with my family and I. I want to do ROTC in college. Its an opportunity I believe I cant pass up, and ill regret it for the rest of my life if I do. But, being here, I do want to go to medical school and have a career in the medical field. My dad thinks it's near impossible to do activity duty for 4 years and then go on to medical school. Have any of you guys done this? How did it work out? I feel like it can help me mature more as a person and be better prepared for medical school. Is it an option to not take an ROTC scholarship, contract, and then go to the national guard and go to a civilian medical school (not via HPSP, [also yes, I do understand the risk of deployment but I'm contempt with it)], or would I have to go for an educational delay? Thanks for any answers guys, I cant seem to find any solid answer on rather I can just commission into the national guard or not.

Members don't see this ad.

This is not a new topic on this forum. You may find helpful information using the search function. There are also threads discussing National Guard options at length.

I can't tell from your post if you're considering going to medical school immediately after undergrad or after paying off your ROTC obligation.

This is not a new topic on this forum. You may find helpful information using the search function. There are also threads discussing National Guard options at length.

I can't tell from your post if you're considering going to medical school immediately after undergrad or after paying off your ROTC obligation.

agree. search the forum for "ROTC".

i did the ROTC -> HPSP route, but even this required an educational delay. which means not only is it a one shot deal (having an acceptance letter in hand was a prerequisite back when i applied) but they have to approve it for you to go to medschool. in hindsight i was lucky at this crapshoot. which was pre-9/11 and when things were pretty stable and there weren't HPSP bonuses and the stipend was paltry.

if you understand and are OK with the alternative being 4 years as a quartermaster LT and not starting until that is paid off, it may be a good option.

good luck

--your friendly neighborhood crapshooting caveman

For what it's worth, one of my med school classmates back in the day did West Point, finished his term in the infantry, and went to med school afterwards. He was in the top 10% of the class and matched into integrated plastics. So doing med school after a 4 year military stint is very possible, whether you go straight through to HPSP or not.