RPH considering the Navy Reserves

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mydogatemysuboxone27

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I had posted this in Military Medicine thinking it might be a good location but it hasn't had any bites.

Hey all. I emailed to get more info about joining the reserves and I will be getting a call shortly from a recruiter. I just wanted to see if anyone could chime in with some info.

The reserves peaked my curiosity two fold: for the benefits and for the leadership training. As a registered RPH and current pharmacy manager, how likely is it that I'd be called to deploy? And if deployed, would I ever be fighting instead of focusing on pharmacy/medicine? Does anyone here have any experience being a RPH and being in the Navy Reserves?

Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I know back in the 90's when the 1st & 2nd afghanistan war's were underway, a lot of medical professional were called out of the reserves and sent oversea. I don't think that has been an issue since then. So basically the chance is small, but it is a gamble, don't join if it would totally ruin your life to get sent overseas. Also, bear in mind that if you were sent overseas to a war area, being non-combat doesn't mean you are safe from enemy combatants or bombs. There have been lots of people injured or killed in the military while serving in a totally non-combatant position. But on the other hand, there are probably far more people who serve in the reserves and never get called into active duty (and if they do, they might not get sent overseas or at least not get sent to an area of fighting.) Just make sure you are aware of all the risks going in.

I know back in the 90's when the 1st & 2nd afghanistan war's were underway, a lot of medical professional were called out of the reserves and sent oversea. I don't think that has been an issue since then. So basically the chance is small, but it is a gamble, don't join if it would totally ruin your life to get sent overseas. Also, bear in mind that if you were sent overseas to a war area, being non-combat doesn't mean you are safe from enemy combatants or bombs. There have been lots of people injured or killed in the military while serving in a totally non-combatant position. But on the other hand, there are probably far more people who serve in the reserves and never get called into active duty (and if they do, they might not get sent overseas or at least not get sent to an area of fighting.) Just make sure you are aware of all the risks going in.
Yeah I'm definitely aware of the risks. I was more concerned about actually combat fighting. And a lot of people have told me the same thing about how the chance is small about getting deployed, so that's essentially why I'm debating on joining the reserves.