Rush Medical College vs Loyola Stritch School of Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kirbydoughball

Reaction score
(not planning on gunning for competitive specialties)

Rush Medical College
Pros
  • Rotations at Rush Hospital (#2 hospital in Chicago) and guaranteed Stroger Cook County rotations (one of the largest safety-net hospitals in US), unlike other Chicago schools that may or may not get rotations there
  • True P/F M1 and M2
  • Since last year, no more internal rankings (instead will have a “focus” narrative description on dean’s letter where you choose a focus like service and I guess they write about the work you have done in service)
  • Want to practice in Chicago area, and generally Rush Medical College has more name recognition and respect
  • Great experience to live in Chicago, culturally speaking
  • Systems based curriculum
  • Organized shadowing program (helpful for making mentors and career choices)
  • Greater funding for research but still solid output, nothing crazy like some other Chicago schools
  • Low-stake quizzes throughout block but final exam at end of block 90% of your grade (allows more time to get concepts down)
  • Ranks 58 on residency director scores

Cons
  • Huge con for me: Flipped classroom, between 8-10 hours of mandatory group discussions that go over the information you teach yourself. I like teaching myself concepts but usually through lectures but I heard that sometimes professors provide sometimes up to 300 pages of cases to read before a session and I also dislike the huge time commitment, which doesn’t even include lab sessions and other mandatory sessions
  • Living in downtown Chicago will come with its inconveniences for me: I don’t enjoy driving in the city, living expenses are greater here, a little more dangerous than the maywood area

Stritch School of Medicine
Pros
  • P/F preclinical
  • Internal rankings with only 30% on preclinical (still can distinguish yourself in rotations and not have too much pressure on your preclinical grades)
  • Lecture-based curriculum where most is asynchronous
  • The people are extremely nice. I’ve been on campus on multiple occasions. Interviewers were genuinely so kind, I had a residency director from IM call me personally after I emailed the academic director about the internal ranking basically telling me how beneficial it was and gave a whole spiel about how much she loves the school, a non-ambassador student here is inviting me to come to campus and shadow her which no other school has done, other non-ambassador students voluntarily call me when I ask them any questions about the school. My aunt works at the hospital (and has worked at many other Chicago hospitals) and she echoes this sentiment- people at Loyola are a different breed of nice.
  • I graduated from Loyola undergrad, so very familiar with the mission of the school\
  • More likely to get a merit scholarship (I had an M1 tell me to email the dean to ask about merit scholarships, which are often given to students that fit the mission/graduated from Loyola undergrad and have multiple acceptances which I do, still no response yet)
  • More suburban than Rush, feels more comfortable to me (less traffic, less hassle, but still close enough to the city for fun thins on weekends)
Cons
  • Traditional curriculum (makes less sense to me to learn normal state and then abnormal state 1 year later)
  • Supposedly subpar research output
  • Exams every other week or every week (I guess it makes you more accountable and grade value is spread out but to me more exams ultimately mean more stress lol)
  • Ranks 69 on residency director scores
  • #6 hospital in Chicago
  • A little less name recognition

Both

• H/HP/P/F clinical
  • COA is a wash… both about $85,000 for cost of attendance. Rush tuition is cheaper while cost of living is higher there.
  • Non-NBME exams (professor-written)
  • About 50 minutes from home (nice to visit family on breaks, etc.)
  • Very close proximity to their hospitals (Stritch’s is connected to hospital but tunnel, Rush’s hospital is across the street from the medical school)

Summary: Ultimately, I feel Rush is the better choice clinically speaking because of the great rotation sites but the flipped classroom idea and time commitment scares me a lot. Pre-clinically, I like Loyola’s approach better and I know I would do well with studying lectures asynchronously as I am more of an independent learner. If I get a scholarship at any school it would sway me for sure and second look visits will help.

Thank you so much in advance! I’ve done so much research over 2 months and now I just need input from others.

Members don't see this ad.

Suggest you talk / correspond with current Rush students about the flipped classroom approach. It may not be as much of a negative as you think. Some probably have positive things to say about it. I agree, if it were me, I'd choose Rush.

Suggest you talk / correspond with current Rush students about the flipped classroom approach. It may not be as much of a negative as you think. Some probably have positive things to say about it. I agree, if it were me, I'd choose Rush.
thank you for the help! i will continue speaking w students.