Russian Medical Education!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

stalvl

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi there!
There is an opinion that Russian Medical Education is not recognized in US. Or they(Russian MGs) are discriminated - meaning very hard to get residency. Is it true? Or all IMGs from all over the world a kinda "discrimnated" compare to US MDs.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi there!
There is an opinion that Russian Medical Education is not recognized in US. Or they(Russian MGs) are discriminated - meaning very hard to get residency. Is it true? Or all IMGs from all over the world a kinda "discrimnated" compare to US MDs.

Depends on the experience of the applicant.
I know a few physicians who trained in Russia. Obviously they had the same case work as physician would in the US.

You're going to face an uphill battle regardless of where you went to school. US MD>US DO>US IMG>FMG with green card>FMG without green card. That's just how it is. Russian doctors have it worse than Western European or Carib doctors, but equal to most other FMGs.

Members don't see this ad :)
You're going to face an uphill battle regardless of where you went to school. US MD>US DO>US IMG>FMG with green card>FMG without green card. That's just how it is. Russian doctors have it worse than Western European or Carib doctors, but equal to most other FMGs.

I know a "FEW"

I know a "FEW"
There's plenty of Russian doctors in practice. But in the future, matching as a Russian trained physician is going to approach impossible due to the number of US grads exceeding residency positions. Soon there won't even be enough room for citizens, let alone foreigners.

Mad Jack:

not exactly. AUB, Aga Khan, similar institutions' grads held in very high regards by many PDs. Probably just a notch below American MD. Where the Russian schools would fit into this pecking order, hard to say.

Mad Jack:

not exactly. AUB, Aga Khan, similar institutions' grads held in very high regards by many PDs. Probably just a notch below American MD. Where the Russian schools would fit into this pecking order, hard to say.
There's a lot of nuance I didn't bother getting into (top Indian schools, Cornell Qatar, Sackler, and many others buck trends). But most Russian schools are considered on par with average Chinese, Indian, and Pakistani schools.

Reactions: 1 user
There's a lot of nuance I didn't bother getting into (top Indian schools, Cornell Qatar, Sackler, and many others buck trends). But most Russian schools are considered on par with average Chinese, Indian, and Pakistani schools.

Mad Jack -
The nuance is important. The NRMP applicants from elite over seas schools represent a good chunk of people otherwise described as "FMG".

Mad Jack:

39% Pakistani grads matched last year according to the NRMP. Now that includes ALL Pakistani grads from ALL schools regardless of them being fresh graduates/reapplicants etc. Do you see the percentage being much higher if you were only considering grads from Aga Khan? I'm not trying to be snarky/sarcastic etc. i'm genuinely curious because Aga Khan tend to come up a lot around here.

39% Pakistani grads matched last year according to the NRMP. Now that includes ALL Pakistani grads from ALL schools regardless of them being fresh graduates/reapplicants etc. Do you see the percentage being much higher if you were only considering grads from Aga Khan? I'm not trying to be snarky/sarcastic etc. i'm genuinely curious because Aga Khan tend to come up a lot around here.

It probably is, but that would be due to the fact that Aga Khan probably has a lot of the best students.