Rusty Chemistry, any recs ?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gratitude2012

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all!
It has been years since I last took a basic Chem class. Do you recommend any basic review books, apps, etc so that I can refresh my memory before taking any classes? Im thinking about auditing a basic chem class at a local community college during summer but they do not offer any night classes
I just dl Khanacademy app , hope it will help!
Thanks much n wish you all have a beautiful Spring day!

Members don't see this ad.

you did the right thing khanacademy im sure there are other resources out there that someone else can enlighten you with

Members don't see this ad :)
call me crazy but i thought berkeley review chemistry taught chemistry better than any of my classes.

call me crazy but i thought berkeley review chemistry taught chemistry better than any of my classes.

+1

BR Chemistry will teach you the concept (plus test-taking skills) like no others but in the context of MCAT. However, knowing the concept and applying it to a unique situation are different from simple problem-solving skills emphasized in many undergrad classes.

Going back to OP's original post, I would also recommend reviewing some algebra if it has been a while since you took science/math classes.

Last edited:
I was kind of in the same boat, as I had a bit of time between Chem 1 and 2, and bought General Chemistry 1 as a Second Language. You can buy it from Amazon. It is concise and easy to understand.

Are you wanting to review in order to retake Chemistry or are you wanting to review in order to take O Chem? When I took O Chem it had been 7 years since Gen Chem and all I did was borrow the Gen Chem textbook from a friend at school and browse through it during the break before the semester. That was plenty since the first few weeks were basically Gen Chem review anyways.

Hi all! I just want to review the basic concepts before I retake the general chem. and it is a good idea to review math too!! I will check out that book on Amazon.m Thank you all!