Rutgers University MPH program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

slimdentshady

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi!!
I just finished my first year at Rutgers University MPH program in epidemiology. I had a lot of help getting my questions answered about this program so I would love to do the same thing for those that were in a similar situation as me. So any questions you have, ask me and ill try to answer to the best of my ability!!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi!

Congratulations on completing your first year! I applied to the MPH program for the Fall 2020 term and have not heard anything back. Would you mind sharing how long it took to hear back from the program? Did you have to interview for them? As well as any other additional information you would like to share. Thank you so much!

Hi!

Congratulations on completing your first year! I applied to the MPH program for the Fall 2020 term and have not heard anything back. Would you mind sharing how long it took to hear back from the program? Did you have to interview for them? As well as any other additional information you would like to share. Thank you so much!
Hey!
I heard sometime in mid-July. I didn't have an interview for them. I would expect there to be a few delays this round of applications just because of COVID. But I would definitely call them and ask for any updates.
So far the program is great! Love the professors, and the research opportunities are amazing at the school because they have close affiliations with the medical school as it is right next door.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi! Congrats on completion of your first year. (Especially during a pandemic) I am currently looking for which schools to apply for MPH specifically Health Policy and Management. I managed to secure a full-ride for my undergrad, and I don't want to take out a lot of loans for my Masters. How is Rutgers in regards to Financial Aid/Funding? Whether it be Merit Scholarships, Teaching Assistantships/Research Assistantships?

Hi! Congrats on completion of your first year. (Especially during a pandemic) I am currently looking for which schools to apply for MPH specifically Health Policy and Management. I managed to secure a full-ride for my undergrad, and I don't want to take out a lot of loans for my Masters. How is Rutgers in regards to Financial Aid/Funding? Whether it be Merit Scholarships, Teaching Assistantships/Research Assistantships?
Hi!
Are you in state or OOS? I was OOS so I do have to pay more for tuition, so keep that in mind.
For Merit scholarships, I don't know too much on this personally, but I know several people that received financial aid, but not too many that got money from scholarships. Rutgers' MPH also has a policy that only 2nd-year student can be qualified to apply for TA/RA, and that too you'll be looked at after that teacher's PhD students (if they have any) but I know several of my classmates and from the previous class that were able to get TA/RA position in their second year. But the school is also right next to the med school, and there are always profs looking for student researchers. Another thing is, we use Canvas for classes, and we have a portal called career services and it is updated daily on positions specifically for MPH students, and a lot of them are paid. So all in all, yeah the TA/RA kinda sucks cause you're limited but it's not hard to get one once you are a 2nd year, but there are also many other ways to earn money. Let me know if you have any questions!

Hi!!
I just finished my first year at Rutgers University MPH program in epidemiology. I had a lot of help getting my questions answered about this program so I would love to do the same thing for those that were in a similar situation as me. So any questions you have, ask me and ill try to answer to the best of my ability!!
Hi!
Congrats on everything. I recently applied there for Fall 2021. Would you mind sharing your stats? I'd just like to get an idea of what the students they accept are like. Thank you :)

Hi!
Congrats on everything. I recently applied there for Fall 2021. Would you mind sharing your stats? I'd just like to get an idea of what the students they accept are like. Thank you :)
Hi! my UG stats were 3.3 (cumulative) and my GRE was 310, but I also applied with a DAT score cause Im pursuing dental.

Hi! my UG stats were 3.3 (cumulative) and my GRE was 310, but I also applied with a DAT score cause Im pursuing dental.
Hi! I am also interested in applying for Fall 2021, do you mind sharing your ECs?

Hi! I am also interested in applying for Fall 2021, do you mind sharing your ECs?
I had a lot of hours shadowing/working and volunteering in dental offices. I was part of the pre-dent club at my UG. But my classmates and I have very diverse backgrounds. Just make sure that whatever your background is, in your PS, make sure to write your true interest in public health and how everything you have done so far (whatever experiences you have from community service, volunteering, personal experiences), it has always been in the interest of public health.

Reactions: 1 user
I had a lot of hours shadowing/working and volunteering in dental offices. I was part of the pre-dent club at my UG. But my classmates and I have very diverse backgrounds. Just make sure that whatever your background is, in your PS, make sure to write your true interest in public health and how everything you have done so far (whatever experiences you have from community service, volunteering, personal experiences), it has always been in the interest of public health.
Thank you so much, that's very helpful! I'm also a pre-health student coming straight out of undergrad (have more or less the same ECs as you), and I was worried that the adcom might be looking for applicants with a few years of work experience in the public health field. Also, I greatly appreciate you taking the time to respond to all of us - I haven't found any other forums discussing the MPH program at Rutgers, so I'm really happy that I came across this one.

I do have one more question (sorry to bother) but when you say that you heard back from them in July 2020 for Fall 2020 admission, do you recall around when did you submit your application?

I just check ed my email, and Im sorry, I applied in April and heard back in May (around the 8ish)

Reactions: 1 user