RVU-COM... the color of the grass here

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SDocSCox

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
What’s that saying, “the grass is always greener on the other side of the fence,” well apparently some people have very strong opinions about RVU and don’t realize that the grass here is quite green too. This is my outlook to RVU-COM and the variety of pastures we have among us.

First off, people are definitely entitled to their opinions and I think its great to share them with the world. But, remember folks its much easier to complain and dog online to complete strangers then it is to actually do something productive with your complaints. From the very begins of the school opening the administration has encouraged students to voice their concerns in hopes that all “kinks,” can be efficiency and proactively handled. I think the school has proven that they do listen. As the OMS III’s move through their rotations their feedbacks are already shaping how the currents OMS II’s will move into their third year rotations. Study rooms have been built over the past year so that more students can have the luxury of such an environment if they so choose. Professors are asked to structure their materials now into physiology/pathology/or clinical avenues of medicine to facilitate the global understanding of particular systems of medicine, and as far as the boards are concerned OMS II’s and I’s are becoming better prepared to drop kick them right in the groin. These are just some examples of what they school is doing to shape the way we learn.

Study habits vary greatly among medical students. Some people study by themselves, some people in groups and some do both. One of the best things about RUV is the unity of our classes. This might not be seen by an individual who isolated themselves from the class in every avenue of their medical education but this person will be quit shocked once they are moving through rotations and even into residency when team efforts of patient care are paramount. One person can’t possible overcome every hurdle and answer every fact on their own and it is key to know when to ask for help and say, I don’t know. This is something that the staff has encouraged and they are inspired to help RVU students in any way they know how. If they don’t know how they actively seek those who do.

RVU staff and administrate are here every day working hard to make the school the leading osteopathic program in the country. No one profession, with the exception of Dr. Puttoff, knows everything and they all work as a team, including Dr. Puttoff as well. The school is a diverse place in regards to its students because that makes the school that much more a dynamic learning environment… the same is true for the professors as well. Some are leaders in anatomy and structural medicine capable or literally writing their own books, some know every tidbit that is pharmacology and how any drug effects the patient (including their sex lives), and others are slightly green but they come to the school with ambition to achieve greatness but also to convey to the students their specialties and passions for medical education.
Med school is hard, very hard, like guad shot grande caramel machiattos from Starbucks twice a day hard… but that is how it should be. It seems that the schools focus is to overly prepare us for COMLEX 1 and our 3rd and 4th years so we are better prepared and to be honest, so we represent the school in a positive manner.

Being flexible is a big part of that preparation. Medicine is neither black nor white but a grey that requires a different mindset for establishing a diagnosis from a list of differentials. We are asked to help shape the school as a team and every student who is currently enrolled in RVU knew that before signing up for this challenge. Soon the school will be more fluid and pumping out doc’s landing top 90% on their board exams but its not something that is done over night and of those who tell horror stories on Student Doctor Net should probably be studying compared to complaining. Life will demand flexibility and so will being a doctor… so just get used to it folks its not going away.

We are a group of overachieves. It’s a tuff program that demands dedication and passion but constantly confirms that it, and the people that run it, only want what’s best for us and to shape us into truly dynamic doctors. We are a family. I enjoy going to class every day and sitting between two girls that share my passion for medicine and further my life as a medical student. I walk down the halls and am greeted by friendly smiles and people who genuinely care about not only myself but also every student at RVU. We are all human. By nature we make mistakes, we are flawed, but our passion for existence and to make a difference fuels our drive to continue, dust off our feet, learn from our mistakes, and to surge forward in hopes of one day promote health and better the lives of our patients. And we will do that because of the green pastures that we walk among during our time here at RVU.

Members don't see this ad.

Thanks for the post. I am a premed currently in the application process, I've been reading SDN for a while now and find that there are truly a lot of people who argue against RVU, and for legitimate reasons. However, having visited the school multiple times (I live 15 minutes away), talking with Colorado physicians, the AOA board members who visited my school during DO panels, and seeing the progression of the school in the past 3 years really makes me confident that RVU will soon be regarded as one of the top DO schools in the nation in terms of boards and competent physicians.

What does concern me is that if I'm considering going through residency in another state, will they view RVU as a baggage? Maybe I've been too affected by SDN's flaming, but the I don't want my efforts in medical education and boards to be a waste because of people's view of a for-profit school.

Just wondering, what other schools did you apply to and what made you choose RVU over them?

What’s that saying, “the grass is always greener on the other side of the fence,” well apparently some people have very strong opinions about RVU and don’t realize that the grass here is quite green too. This is my outlook to RVU-COM and the variety of pastures we have among us.

First off, people are definitely entitled to their opinions and I think its great to share them with the world. But, remember folks its much easier to complain and dog online to complete strangers then it is to actually do something productive with your complaints. From the very begins of the school opening the administration has encouraged students to voice their concerns in hopes that all “kinks,” can be efficiency and proactively handled. I think the school has proven that they do listen. As the OMS III’s move through their rotations their feedbacks are already shaping how the currents OMS II’s will move into their third year rotations. Study rooms have been built over the past year so that more students can have the luxury of such an environment if they so choose. Professors are asked to structure their materials now into physiology/pathology/or clinical avenues of medicine to facilitate the global understanding of particular systems of medicine, and as far as the boards are concerned OMS II’s and I’s are becoming better prepared to drop kick them right in the groin. These are just some examples of what they school is doing to shape the way we learn.

Study habits vary greatly among medical students. Some people study by themselves, some people in groups and some do both. One of the best things about RUV is the unity of our classes. This might not be seen by an individual who isolated themselves from the class in every avenue of their medical education but this person will be quit shocked once they are moving through rotations and even into residency when team efforts of patient care are paramount. One person can’t possible overcome every hurdle and answer every fact on their own and it is key to know when to ask for help and say, I don’t know. This is something that the staff has encouraged and they are inspired to help RVU students in any way they know how. If they don’t know how they actively seek those who do.

RVU staff and administrate are here every day working hard to make the school the leading osteopathic program in the country. No one profession, with the exception of Dr. Puttoff, knows everything and they all work as a team, including Dr. Puttoff as well. The school is a diverse place in regards to its students because that makes the school that much more a dynamic learning environment… the same is true for the professors as well. Some are leaders in anatomy and structural medicine capable or literally writing their own books, some know every tidbit that is pharmacology and how any drug effects the patient (including their sex lives), and others are slightly green but they come to the school with ambition to achieve greatness but also to convey to the students their specialties and passions for medical education.
Med school is hard, very hard, like guad shot grande caramel machiattos from Starbucks twice a day hard… but that is how it should be. It seems that the schools focus is to overly prepare us for COMLEX 1 and our 3rd and 4th years so we are better prepared and to be honest, so we represent the school in a positive manner.

Being flexible is a big part of that preparation. Medicine is neither black nor white but a grey that requires a different mindset for establishing a diagnosis from a list of differentials. We are asked to help shape the school as a team and every student who is currently enrolled in RVU knew that before signing up for this challenge. Soon the school will be more fluid and pumping out doc’s landing top 90% on their board exams but its not something that is done over night and of those who tell horror stories on Student Doctor Net should probably be studying compared to complaining. Life will demand flexibility and so will being a doctor… so just get used to it folks its not going away.

We are a group of overachieves. It’s a tuff program that demands dedication and passion but constantly confirms that it, and the people that run it, only want what’s best for us and to shape us into truly dynamic doctors. We are a family. I enjoy going to class every day and sitting between two girls that share my passion for medicine and further my life as a medical student. I walk down the halls and am greeted by friendly smiles and people who genuinely care about not only myself but also every student at RVU. We are all human. By nature we make mistakes, we are flawed, but our passion for existence and to make a difference fuels our drive to continue, dust off our feet, learn from our mistakes, and to surge forward in hopes of one day promote health and better the lives of our patients. And we will do that because of the green pastures that we walk among during our time here at RVU.

you guys can't get gov't loans, right? I can't even imagine this. You'd have to be in a desperate place to take that deal

Members don't see this ad :)
We had a 97.6% pass rate with a 99% pass rate for those who were in the top 90% (the bottom 10% was allotted an extra month and a half to study). The average of the top 90% of students on the comlex was a 535. Also, I know loads of kids who not only hit 600 but also notched in the middle upper 600s. Its absolutely hilarious when kids bag on the school and say that we were "desperate" to go here. You have to honestly be kidding me. We did extremely well on the Boards, have a great school, and easily live in the best area of all DO schools in the country (or at least in my opinion). Also, I know loads of kids who did extremely well on the USMLE as well.

I don't want to get into the whole dogging of this school because the Board scores for my class speak for itself. By no means am I saying we have the best school or anything like that (I wouldn't believe anyone that claims their DO school is the best) but its a pretty awesome spot.

We had a 97.6% pass rate with a 99% pass rate for those who were in the top 90% (the bottom 10% was allotted an extra month and a half to study). The average of the top 90% of students on the comlex was a 535. Also, I know loads of kids who not only hit 600 but also notched in the middle upper 600s. Its absolutely hilarious when kids bag on the school and say that we were "desperate" to go here. You have to honestly be kidding me. We did extremely well on the Boards, have a great school, and easily live in the best area of all DO schools in the country (or at least in my opinion). Also, I know loads of kids who did extremely well on the USMLE as well.

I don't want to get into the whole dogging of this school because the Board scores for my class speak for itself. By no means am I saying we have the best school or anything like that (I wouldn't believe anyone that claims their DO school is the best) but its a pretty awesome spot.

But what about the loan issue?

We get them at 8.5% via a bank called Bank of Lake Mills...also like everyone else, you can take them out through sallie mae (which the rates are not fixed but I know a few people who got it and last year they said it was around 3-5% depending on your credit...I don't take it out through that so I don't have a lot of info on sallie mae).

I'd say probably at least 75% of the class (and that is an estimation) got into other schools (MD schools included) and because everyone wanted the opportunity to ski, hike, and live in CO, they were willing to take the hit on the loans for the opportunity to live in denver. The school certainly attracts a certain style of people and regardless of the loan situation, the school will continue to have no difficulty finding high quality students. From a personal level, I'd much rather pay a little bit extra on loans and live in Colorado than live in the middle of some flat, rural state with nothing to do. For me, its an easy compromise. However, I know that that is not for everyone though and there are some great schools in rural places...all personal preference.