RVU Second Campus in Southern Utah

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AlteredScale

Staff member
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
10+ Year Member
Reaction score

I don't think so. I think the bit about working with Dixie State and SUU was talking about the early acceptance program. This school was originally going to be located in Cedar City, where SUU is located. Now it's going to be much closer to St. George, which is much bigger than Cedar City. From the article though it doesn't look like it's going to have any close affiliation with either of the region's state schools.

Members don't see this ad :)
Curious why they settled on Ivins, UT for the campus after looking at potential sites in Cedar City and St. George. Its a beautiful area but quite a bit more rural. I like the early acceptance for students that express interest in rural medicine. Be interesting to see where the clinical rotation sites are.

I heard a rumor there were politics involved. That to get the legislature to approve the school despite the U of U's outcries the school really pitched the "DOs practice rural medicine" cause. Because So. Utah has a desperate PC shortage. According to what everything says they actually will have an admissions committee that will cater to that mission, if they actually do it then the school might actually do some good.

I heard a rumor there were politics involved. That to get the legislature to approve the school despite the U of U's outcries the school really pitched the "DOs practice rural medicine" cause. Because So. Utah has a desperate PC shortage. According to what everything says they actually will have an admissions committee that will cater to that mission, if they actually do it then the school might actually do some good.

Honestly why does the U of U fight this? Surely they can't see RVU as a threat. Why would the legislature need to approve this school? It's not state funded. If the school isn't going to hurt funding for the U, the U should shut up.

Opening a med school in the middle of nowhere isn't going to make physicians more likely to move back after residency. But there will be hundreds of Utah rejects lining up to go to this school because for some reason nobody wants to leave this state.

Honestly why does the U of U fight this? Surely they can't see RVU as a threat. Why would the legislature need to approve this school? It's not state funded. If the school isn't going to hurt funding for the U, the U should shut up.

Agreed-- but the U and IHC are very accustomed to being the only game in town. I'm not all that surprised that they're opposed to even the perception of competition.

Opening a med school in the middle of nowhere isn't going to make physicians more likely to move back after residency. But there will be hundreds of Utah rejects lining up to go to this school because for some reason nobody wants to leave this state.

You don't think that opening a medical school and training in a rural area, early acceptance for qualifies local residents, and a stated mission of preparing students to practice in the local rural area will increase the amount of physicians that return after residency? They may still need to leave the area for residency that is true but I bet quite a few return. Who is more likely to work in the area, a physician who has never set foot there or a physician that spent 4 years training, putting down roots, and making connections?

As one of those hundreds of Utah rejects you allude to I feel like this school is a step in the right direction and will benefit the people of southern Utah.

Reactions: 1 users
You don't think that opening a medical school and training in a rural area, early acceptance for qualifies local residents, and a stated mission of preparing students to practice in the local rural area will increase the amount of physicians that return after residency? They may still need to leave the area for residency that is true but I bet quite a few return. Who is more likely to work in the area, a physician who has never set foot there or a physician that spent 4 years training, putting down roots, and making connections?

As one of those hundreds of Utah rejects you allude to I feel like this school is a step in the right direction and will benefit the people of southern Utah.

I have no real plans to return to the Mesa-Gilbert AZ area. But being from Utah, and having family roots in the area of Springdale-Cedar City-St. George area I plan to look long and hard at jobs in that part of the state next year when the time comes.

Reactions: 1 user

I think Utah has a law that any medical school that is built in the state need legislative approval. I'm not a hundred percent sure but I've been told this by multiple people who are in a position to know. The U honestly is so dumb, they really have a complex.

As someone from Utah I think that if the school actually admits a certain amount of students from the state/region then yes a large number will return to practice in So. Utah. People from Utah usually return to Utah as was mentioned.

Personally I will probably never come back, both my wife and I don't really see it happening.

The state of Utah produces more DO applicants per capita that any other state. This school will attract tons and tons of Utah applicants, most of whom will want to stay in Utah. I have so many classmates from Utah who would have loved to stay there, and who will be going back there after residency if not for residency. So I think this school is better positioned to produce doctors for Utah than other schools are for their respective states.

I hope this school can develop quality clinical rotations. RVU already has a few residency programs in the works at non-IHC hospitals. I have a feeling a lot of students will have to move north to the Salt Lake/Ogden metro area, which they honestly will probably be fine with. If they can develop GME programs in state, then they'll be even better able to produce doctors for the state.

Members don't see this ad :)
I know right? They're taking over medicine.

So I wasn't crazy when I thought all my interviews had a larger-than-normal number of mormons

So I wasn't crazy when I thought all my interviews had a larger-than-normal number of mormons
Based on anecdotal evidence and personal observation it seems AZCOM, KCOM, ATSU-SOMA, Touro-NV, DMU, and KCU have large numbers of LDS students. Not that other schools don't, but it seems those ones in particular have a lot.

Damn! I love that area. I'm going to have to send them a CV!

Ditto for my school, which might or might not be on this list. My LDS students (especially ones from BYU) tend to be top performers.

Based on anecdotal evidence and personal observation it seems AZCOM, KCOM, ATSU-SOMA, Touro-NV, DMU, and KCU have large numbers of LDS students. Not that other schools don't, but it seems those ones in particular have a lot.

Damn! I love that area. I'm going to have to send them a CV!

Ditto for my school, which might or might not be on this list. My LDS students (especially ones from BYU) tend to be top performers.

I'm sure your students don't want you to leave!!! Would you ever consider teaching at Texas?

It's clearly a regional thing, as my class at UMDNJ-SOM had exactly zero Mormons.

It's clearly a regional thing, as my class at UMDNJ-SOM had exactly zero Mormons.

Eh more like a non-east coast thing. The east coast schools have less because most Mormons apply out of Utah and very few want to go out there that far from family. But everywhere else has a plethora, especially some of the BYU "pipeline" schools like Midwestern and DMU for DO and Ohio State and the Texas schools for MD. I think in the last three years only like 60 total BYU students applied to Rowan.

BYU-Idaho student here and soon to be RVU student. I agree with everything said here. The western USA is for me :)

Eh more like a non-east coast thing. The east coast schools have less because most Mormons apply out of Utah and very few want to go out there that far from family. But everywhere else has a plethora, especially some of the BYU "pipeline" schools like Midwestern and DMU for DO and Ohio State and the Texas schools for MD. I think in the last three years only like 60 total BYU students applied to Rowan.

This is true, but then again, DMU is pretty far from the mountain west.. I mean isn't a flight from Des Moines to Salt Lake or Boise or Phoenix just as inconvenient as a flight from Philly or Florida? I think you're right. I think there's sort of an informal pipeline.

This is true, but then again, DMU is pretty far from the mountain west.. I mean isn't a flight from Des Moines to Salt Lake or Boise or Phoenix just as inconvenient as a flight from Philly or Florida? I think you're right. I think there's sort of an informal pipeline.

I know you would think, but there had be an informal pipeline m. Of course I'm just basing my thoughts on BYU information but DMU accepted 11% of BYU applicants it received last cycle. Interestingly enough though it didn't recieve nearly as many apps as the mountain west region schools. So it receives less than those schools but accepts a decent amount in comparison.

I know you would think, but there had be an informal pipeline m. Of course I'm just basing my thoughts on BYU information but DMU accepted 11% of BYU applicants it received last cycle. Interestingly enough though it didn't recieve nearly as many apps as the mountain west region schools. So it receives less than those schools but accepts a decent amount in comparison.
There are is a disproportionate number of Mormons at every medical school. Not just DO schools. This is because BYU produces more medical students per capita than any other school. Also because there is only one state school in Utah, which prides itself in trying to be diverse, even though our state is not very diverse. This results in only about 15 - 20 BYU students that go to their state school, leaving approximately 180 qualified applicants who can't get into their state school every year. And this isn't even including the fact that there are many LDS students at other schools in the region

There are is a disproportionate number of Mormons at every medical school. Not just DO schools. This is because BYU produces more medical students per capita than any other school. Also because there is only one state school in Utah, which prides itself in trying to be diverse, even though our state is not very diverse. This results in only about 15 - 20 BYU students that go to their state school, leaving approximately 180 qualified applicants who can't get into their state school every year. And this isn't even including the fact that there are many LDS students at other schools in the region
Yup, just my class at KCOM had 6 from BYU, 6 from Utah State, 6 from U of U, 1 from Weber State, a few from SUU and all were LDS but two of them. This isn't counting the LDS classmates that didn't come from BYU or Utah at all.