RWJ vs Wake Forest vs GWU

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hopefully2019

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
RWJ
Pros
  • --Well established, great school with plenty of opportunities to get involved
  • -- in state tuition (COA around 65k)
Cons
  • -- Kind of want to leave NJ, NB is quite bland
  • -- Not sure about the atmosphere because I have not met any students

Wake Forest
Pros
  • --highest ranked school that has accepted me—cool curriculum
  • -- Winston Salem seems nice with good weather and is much cheaper than NJ
Cons
  • -- Would be 100% loans, they didn’t even give me 5$ off tuition lol (62k tuition so COA about 320k).
  • -- have never visited the city, so it could be completely incompatible
GWU
Pros
  • --Oldest and most established program with a good match list and DC is a nice city.
  • -- Have granted me about 20k a year in scholarships which puts it at almost same tuition as RWJ (4k difference)
  • Offers 1$ a day unlimited metro through a partnership with the city
  • Bigger city, more housing options
Cons
  • -- DC is expensive so the apartment would be much smaller
  • --could it be better to visit than live in?
  • About 3 hours from home, so less able to visit friends and family

Summary:

• Does the price and reputation of bland RWJ beat the higher ranked WF and better located GWU?

Members don't see this ad.

I’d rule out Wake on COA differences alone. I think they have pretty good programs for a lot of competitive specialities but you can look more into that yourself if it’s important to you. Negligible prestige difference between these schools. DC is an awesome city but you lose some of your support system. Personally I’d go GW to get a change of scenery and you can always take the train up to see family.

I vote GW! Great school and a seemingly good fit at a similar price to RWJ feels like a great option for you

Members don't see this ad :)
Get rid of wf due to cost

I’d probably go with RWJ but either would be fine imo

I would go with RWJ. I think the support system is one of the most important things in a med school life when there is so much general stress. Being able to see your family and friends nearby might really make your experience a lot better. Also, DC is super expensive and may not be worth the extra cost of living.

RWJ for strong support system and DC is way overpriced. RWJ has an amazing match list.

Take out WF.

Choose between RWJ and GWU. I will say its very nice to have family/friends/support nearby in medical school and RW historically has a varied/strong match list. That being said, DC isn't that far if you really want to experience a new place.