Sackler: Intensive Ulpan

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jonathani1

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm considering doing an intensive 1 month Ulpan (Hebrew learning course) perhaps at TAU prior to starting at Sackler in the Fall. Has anyone done/considered anything similar? I see this as a potentially good way of killing two birds (Hebrew and Sackler familiarization) with one stone. --That's if it doesn't mentally wipe me out before classes start.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm considering doing an intensive 1 month Ulpan (Hebrew learning course) perhaps at TAU prior to starting at Sackler in the Fall. Has anyone done/considered anything similar? I see this as a potentially good way of killing two birds (Hebrew and Sackler familiarization) with one stone. --That's if it doesn't mentally wipe me out before classes start.

Yes, I'm considering doing the exact same thing! I'm likely going over to Israel around mid-June.. I was debating whether to take an intensive ulpan through a university, regular Hebrew school, or on a kibbutz..

Have you heard of any good programs?

I was actually considering the same thing. But I don't really know where to find one, how to sign up, where I would stay, etc. So, if you do find some information, please forward it on to me. I was thinking of moving to Israel in early to mid June also.

Members don't see this ad :)
just to warn you, theres not much to familiarize yourself with when it comes to sackler...plus you'll get very familiar with it and tel aviv university during the orientation...you kids are crazy!...go have fun...dont worry about school until it starts!!

Unfortunately, I have to work until Aug. 1st, otherwise I would leave early to do the same thing.

I was thinking of getting the Rosetta stone program. Anyone try that program out for other languages? Or Hebrew for that matter.

They are quite expensive, I heard they work well but I havent found anyone that has actually used it yet lol.

You can download a demo program from Rosetta Stone, although I'm not sure if you can choose a specific language.

I purchased the Pimsleur CDs. They're almost entirely verbal, and thus good for playing in the car or on an iPod where you can't follow along in a book.

Hebrew's an extremely phonetic language. It's not all that difficult to teach yourself the alphabet and basic reading skillz. For those with a little more experience, a lot of the Ulpanim seem to be using a set of books called "Ivrit me’alef ad tav" (Hebrew from A to Z) by Dyunon Press.

Unfortunately, I have to work until Aug. 1st, otherwise I would leave early to do the same thing.

I was thinking of getting the Rosetta stone program. Anyone try that program out for other languages? Or Hebrew for that matter.

They are quite expensive, I heard they work well but I havent found anyone that has actually used it yet lol.

I also thought to get the Rosetta stone program... but it is pretty expensive. For now I just bought a book that's Hebrew in 10 min/day (or something like that)... I want to brush up on some vocab before going, but I realize that it is going to take living there to really learn the language.

I won't be heading over there until August (on the group flight- which I think will be a lot of fun!) I figure I'll be there for the next few years, I should probably enjoy my last summer at home!

At the beginning of the small booklet in the info packet, it mentions a couple of places. I called Sackler's office to see if they had any more info and the guy seemed pretty clueless. I think I might do Ulpan Gordon in Tel Aviv for a month (starting ~July 20th). Anyone else have updates on what they might do?

I decided to get the Rosetta stone Level 1 for starts. It costs about 200$, I will keep you guys posted on what I think of it, seeming I just started to use it yesterday.

They have a 6 month money back garuntee, so I may return it before the group flight out.

Josh, if I can sell my place and move in time, I hope to do an Ulpan also. Maybe I'll join you at the Tel Aviv program. I'm currently going through Pimsleur Hebrew II. The course is purely conversational so I play it in the car and am learning the lazy way :) It's very well designed.

I've been having a hard time finding an ulpan-like course that runs for only 1 month (most run for several months). I think it would have to be private lessons in this case. Perhaps someone else has more info.

I've been having a hard time finding an ulpan-like course that runs for only 1 month (most run for several months). I think it would have to be private lessons in this case. Perhaps someone else has more info.

Actually I just found a course tonight that lasts for 6 weeks or 8 weeks. I don't know if that's too long for your schedule..

I'm starting at Sackler this coming September, but I'll be arriving in Israel at the start of June and (hopefully) living on a kibbutz for the summer and doing their 6 or 8 week ulpan program.

Go to http://www.kibbutzprogramcenter.org/
And search the 'summer ulpan' options..

It looks like a pretty good program.. if you're keen on living on a kibbutz (which has always been a dream of mine..). Anyways, I'm calling the program center tomorrow, so if I find any good info, I'll keep you posted.

See you in Tel Aviv!

Hey, I saw that program, gave them a call and got some more info emailed to me. I don't think that I'm going to do it - primarily because it's pretty long. No other programs I found had good dates. I think, if I go to Sackler, I'll arrive a week or two early, perhaps have an apt already set up with someone from the school, and try to find a Hebrew tutor (if that's possible)

Hey, I saw that program, gave them a call and got some more info emailed to me. I don't think that I'm going to do it - primarily because it's pretty long. No other programs I found had good dates. I think, if I go to Sackler, I'll arrive a week or two early, perhaps have an apt already set up with someone from the school, and try to find a Hebrew tutor (if that's possible)
Looks like your not planning on taking the group flight.

School starts Sept. 7th, group flight is August 20th... anyone plan on taking it?

to clarify, i meant arriving a week or two before aug 20, so maybe around the 10th or so

Looks like your not planning on taking the group flight.

School starts Sept. 7th, group flight is August 20th... anyone plan on taking it?

Hi! As of now I'm planning on taking the group flight... it's a good deal for ElAl and I figure the return ticket will give me flexibility to travel back when tickets are normally super expensive.

I'm also trying out the Rosetta Stone (good idea with the 6 months money back, it's so expensive!). So far so good, I've been doing it for about a week and can recognize all the vocab they've thrown at me, although it's a lot of matching or multiple choice so I'm not sure I can actually form any sentences myself.

Hi! As of now I'm planning on taking the group flight... it's a good deal for ElAl and I figure the return ticket will give me flexibility to travel back when tickets are normally super expensive.

I'm also trying out the Rosetta Stone (good idea with the 6 months money back, it's so expensive!). So far so good, I've been doing it for about a week and can recognize all the vocab they've thrown at me, although it's a lot of matching or multiple choice so I'm not sure I can actually form any sentences myself.

Yeah I agree, I try to do it every other day. Its all multiple choice, so I think I am getting the vocab, but I cant help to think that its really not teaching me much lol. I guess we'll see.

Yeah I agree, I try to do it every other day. Its all multiple choice, so I think I am getting the vocab, but I cant help to think that its really not teaching me much lol. I guess we'll see.

Is there a vocabulary list for the three Rosetta Stone packages. I'd like to see how far along I happen to be.

If you're looking to learn to speak, then Pimsleur is a great way to go. It's intensively conversational, although the vocabulary is, I guess, more limited than Rosetta.

I did a one month intensive ulpan before starting Sackler at Haifa University. I knew zero Hebrew and came out of it with reading and writing abilities, plus a minimal conversation ability. More importantly, I had a blast. We traveled a lot, I made a lot of Israeli contacts, and was entirely acclimated by the time orientation and classes started up. Definitely would recommend it.

What year are you in, EBKame, and how's your Hebrew now? Do you find you are able to learn during the med school years?

I'm in my last year of Sackler (in the States now). My Hebrew was conversational and I could understand / interview in the hospitals. It could have been a lot better, but academics can be pretty hard to balance. My advice would be to find some Israeli friends and keep at it. You can definitely do an ulpan and not be burned out by the beginning of the year.