Sackler vs. American school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

joshkolb

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I got into a US school (Rosalind Franklin, in North Chicago), and now have to decide between it and Sackler. I posted something similar to this in the normal forum, but I'd like to get the opinions of Sackler graduates or students at Israeli medical schools. Which would you choose? A once-in-a-lifetime experience and a potentially worse residency (or getting stuck in a different field entirely - definitely a concern), or a US education (very cold winter) and going through the residency match as a US student?

Members don't see this ad.

Obviously this is a highly personal question that no one will be able to answer for you, but I will give you my impressions. As a Sackler pretty close to the end of my tenure in Israel, I have to say that I wouldn't have traded this experience in for anything. I was tempted by the prospects of living outside of the US and experiencing a new culture while having all the benefits of graduating from a US recognized MD program. I figured if I'm going to put myself through four years of medical school it might as well offer beach access and a great climate year round. People have different reasons for coming, but this is definitely a perk. I also found that the students here have solidarity and interests beyond purely excelling in academics. You have the opportunity to get involved with the Bedouin population, with refugees from Africa, with the underserved in the West Bank. The doctors and professors are very receptive and invested in teaching. There are plenty of research opportunities and alumni throughout the US. At times it is frustrating to communicate with family and friends in the States and there is extra bureaucracy involved in applying for electives in fourth year. However, the school administration does a good job of helping you mediate the process and I never felt that this was a handicap.

I've attached this years match list should there be any concern about not matching into a desired program.

Feel free to PM me.

Attachments

• 2008 match results.pdf
    80.7 KB · Views: 219
I read that not going to a US school could also hurt you if you're trying to get a fellowship. Any validity to this notion? Also, since you're graduating, any info on the students that have to scramble in the end?

Members don't see this ad :)
maybe you should compare match lists

the match results are similar, but because Rosalind Franklin has ~170 or so students, there are a lot more people getting diag. radiology and other harder residencies. It's hard to compare, because ratio-wise, they're similar for the most part

I suggest going to the US :) That's because I didn't get in anywhere else, and I am still waiting to hear from Sackler! Give a man a chance! (Good Karma never hurt anyone!)

in 4 years you'll be a doctor, it may be harder to get a competitive residency coming from sackler, but it is possible...you have to figure out where you'll be happier at...have you ever been to chicago in the winter?...winter in that area can start as early as october and end as late as may

So I got into a US school (Rosalind Franklin, in North Chicago), and now have to decide between it and Sackler. I posted something similar to this in the normal forum, but I'd like to get the opinions of Sackler graduates or students at Israeli medical schools. Which would you choose? A once-in-a-lifetime experience and a potentially worse residency (or getting stuck in a different field entirely - definitely a concern), or a US education (very cold winter) and going through the residency match as a US student?

I suggest going to the US :) That's because I didn't get in anywhere else, and I am still waiting to hear from Sackler! Give a man a chance! (Good Karma never hurt anyone!)

some of us have no US acceptances... so it would be pretty great for me if you go to Rosalind Franklin. its a great school! especially since i am trying to get off the sackler waitlist.

I had the professor who interviewed me at Columbia for the BGU program flat-out tell me that if I got into an American school I should go there rather than going to BGU. I loved the BS-free environment at my BGU interviews! :)

One of my friends was going to Sackler and got off a Rosanlind Franklin waitlist in July. He goes to RF now. He's way more miserable than I am. But, he's originally from the Chicago area and that's where he plans on doing his residency. If you want to do your residency in Chicago, Rosalind Franklin gives you a much better chance at that. If you want to do your residency on the coasts, Sackler gives you a better chance at that. If you want neurosurgery in the midwest (even though someone placed at Brown this year in that here), I would say go to Rosalind. You still will have to work your tail off regardless, since RF is a low-tier US MD school.

Also RF is not directly in Chicago. It's North Chicago, which is much different.