Safe strengths and weaknesses

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Radishguy

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Are there any safe strengths and/or weaknesses to give during an interview? I feel like this is such a trap. If you give a legitimate strength you might come across as arrogant. If you give a real weakness, you might again come across as arrogant if the weakness is considered a strength by some, or you could come across as a weak candidate if the weakness is a potential liability. So what is safe? What are some strengths and weaknesses that you have given/heard that were seen as interview positives?

I’m tempted, if asked, to respond with, I’m really strong when it comes to benching and curls, but a little weak in squats because who like leg day…

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I said something along the lines of not being good at delegating as a supervisor and preferring to do everything myself.
They asked me how I can improve on it. I said that I started out by giving small tasks that I know people could complete.

Another weakness I had was wanting to have as much information as possible before making a decision. I said that I understand that in medicine this is not always possible and that sometimes it is necessary to make a decision without knowing certain info.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
It especially helps if you can tell how you have used your strengths to benefit others, as well as what you have done to improve on your weaknesses. For instance, "I am really good at (subject) so I volunteer to tutor other students" or "I am really shy, so I make a point of introducing myself to other people and starting conversations".

is it too cheeky to express a strength and weakness as opposite sides of the same coin?

ex: a strength in thinking at the level of the forest but a weakness of overlooking the level of the trees

Are there any safe strengths and/or weaknesses to give during an interview? I feel like this is such a trap. If you give a legitimate strength you might come across as arrogant. If you give a real weakness, you might again come across as arrogant if the weakness is considered a strength by some, or you could come across as a weak candidate if the weakness is a potential liability. So what is safe? What are some strengths and weaknesses that you have given/heard that were seen as interview positives?

I’m tempted, if asked, to respond with, I’m really strong when it comes to benching and curls, but a little weak in squats because who like leg day…
For God's sake, do NOT say that "you work too hard" is a weakness.

how do I say “unmedicated adhd” without saying unmedicated adhd lol

Reactions: 1 user
For strength, I said I'm open to new experience. From immigrated to this country as a teen and constantly trying new things that might be gender nonconfirming like ballet. And this extends to meeting new people
For weakness, I might say public speaking, or that I'm an introvert, so I do my best to speak up in meetings. It's still a struggle but I do my best to address it

I think for weakness, you want to say something that everyone can relate to. Public speaking is like a safe one I think. And as long as you mention how you are overcomning it it's fine