Safety Schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ISU_Steve

Cranky old man
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have heard people say they have "safety schools"- backups in case they don't get admitted where they really want to go.

I was just wondering what school(s) everyone is using as their "safety". Why? Is that particular school supposed to be easier admissions?

Personally my "safety" would probably be IUSD. It's my state school, but I really want out of Indiana ASAP. My first choice (I would almost literally kill to get in) would be OHSU simply because of where it is located. But then again, I probably won't get in there and anyhow IU is a whole lot cheaper.

What's everyone else's plan?

Members don't see this ad.

Steve, I have two, so called, safety schools on my list... NYU and BU. Both of these schools have lower stats admittance. NYU has the largest class (300 ppl) among US dental schools, which makes it less competitive by far. I wouldn't say it's an advantage from educational stand point. But it is definitely a turn off point for many applicants. Also, consider the price. I think BU is as expensive as NYU and many people take a school price into their consideration as well.

Hope this helps with you decision making :)

Thanks for sharing....it doesn't really have anything to do with any decision of mine. I was just being nosy.

Personally you couldn't pay me to live in New York. It's too crowded for my taste (I grew up in a town of less of less than 200 people, so I feel out of place in any place like that). Not to mention too expensive and the taxes are outrageous.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes, New York's life style is not for everyone :)

if you grew up in a town of 200, i think you might feel out of place at every dental school in the country! i think they are all located in metropolitan areas of 300,000-400,000 and up, except for maybe 1 or 2.

organichemistry said:
if you grew up in a town of 200, i think you might feel out of place at every dental school in the country! i think they are all located in metropolitan areas of 300,000-400,000 and up, except for maybe 1 or 2.

I can deal with it for a few years, but the thing of it is that I think going to school in NY would be a bit too much. I spent two years in Washington DC and enjoyed it, but I don't think I would want to try out NYC.

my safety schools: NYU and Nova
my schools I'll hopefully get into: UF, Columbia, UPENN, UMD, Marquette
my reach schools: Harvard, UCLA

Ok so I REALLY want to go to my state school, MCG. Am I crazy for only applying there and none others??

1st Choice School: OHSU
Safety: Indiana, NOVA, Temple
Reach Schools: UMKC, Case, Arizona, UMDNJ, and Pittsburgh

Both NYU and BU are easier schools to get in; however, both NYU and BU start with approximately 300 students and only let approximately 155 students to graduate.

Just remember, there is no guarantee to graduate from these schools if you are accepted.

It's great for the schools, because they get your money. But it sucks for poor students since it's 50/50 to become a dentist.

ISU_Steve said:
1st Choice School: OHSU
Safety: Indiana, NOVA, Temple
Reach Schools: UMKC, Case, Arizona, UMDNJ, and Pittsburgh

Where do you come up with these generalizations?

How do you know NOVA and Temple are safeties? To me there is no such thing unless you are in a position such as being in state at West Virigina, Indiana, and those schools who have very small amounts of in state students applying to the dental school. Also, unless you are a resident of MO, I would say save your money...they only accept MO students, the IDEP (or whatever its called) students, and very very few out of state students. With the rest of the schools...who knows? Basically its a crapshoot where you really dont know the outcome until its over...besides you arent applying until May 2007 right??? Things will change drastically and admissions could be much harder or much easier...you never know.

IUSD I can understand seeing you that are in state and there are so few who interview (who are in state students in IN) for 70 SPOTS!!!! I think I read something like 100-120 in state students applied, 100 got interviewed and 70 get in. Pretty good chances there. It was different for me b/c I was out of state and there were only 30 seats, however, the waitlist moves very deep and it all worked out.

balance said:
Both NYU and BU are easier schools to get in; however, both NYU and BU start with approximately 300 students and only let approximately 155 students to graduate.

Just remember, there is no guarantee to graduate from these schools if you are accepted.

It's great for the schools, because they get your money. But it sucks for poor students since it's 50/50 to become a dentist.

Sorry, but I don't buy that. No school loses half of it's class. The very idea is absurd. Sure, some students have academic trouble and some withdraw for other reasons, but 145 students don't just up and leave each year.

Bullfan16 said:
Where do you come up with these generalizations?

How do you know NOVA and Temple are safeties? To me there is no such thing unless you are in a position such as being in state at West Virigina, Indiana, and those schools who have very small amounts of in state students applying to the dental school.

Good points. "Safety schools" are really only such for individual students, and even then many students are suprised when they get rejected from their "safety schools".

A safety school, in broad terms, is a school where the applicant's scores exceed the average acceptance marks for that school in previous years. It also helps to know somebody on the admissions committee.
:)

But you're right in that a safety school for one person may not be for another.

Members don't see this ad :)
balance said:

False.

balance said:
both NYU and BU start with approximately 300 students and only let approximately 155 students to graduate.

Where did you get this information?!

It is a long spread rumor that's been terrorized SDN for some years. I even asked that question to the director of admissions at my NYU interview and his first question was "where do you guys get this from?" Then I told him I read this on SDN, to which he replied that every single person that asks this question refers to SDN.

Funny, but it is a myth just like this myth that dentists have the highest suicidal rate :D

IcemanDDS said:
LOL, I agree completely ridiculous. Where do people get their information :confused:

The information is coming from a student at NYU. I might have been mistaken on the actual number of graduates, but I am very sure that these schools like to get a lot of students, and not help them to graduate.

Bullfan16 said:
Also, unless you are a resident of MO, I would say save your money...they only accept MO students, the IDEP (or whatever its called) students, and very very few out of state students.

IUSD I can understand seeing you that are in state and there are so few who interview (who are in state students in IN) for 70 SPOTS!!!! I think I read something like 100-120 in state students applied, 100 got interviewed and 70 get in. Pretty good chances there. It was different for me b/c I was out of state and there were only 30 seats, however, the waitlist moves very deep and it all worked out.

Notice, I listed UMKC as a "reach" school. I know my chances aren't good of getting in, but then again there are tons of people here who have far worse GPA's than mine who apply to Harvard and I don't seem them being criticized. I'm not angry or anything, just a little curious as to why a school I picked warranted that kind of response but we see people list Harvard and other notoriously picky schools and they are not told to not waste their money.

By the way, there were 170 in-state applicants and 1,003 out of state applicants for the 2004 entering class (the newest statistics posted on IUSD website).

balance said:
The information is coming from a student at NYU. I might have been mistaken on the actual number of graduates, but I am very sure that these schools like to get a lot of students, and not help them to graduate.
Ok just think about what you're saying. 50% of dental students dont graduate??? Common sense would tell you that's crazy, I dont care who told you.

DDS2BE said:
Where did you get this information?!

It is a long spread rumor that's been terrorized SDN for some years. I even asked that question to the director of admissions at my NYU interview and his first question was "where do you guys get this from?" Then I told him I read this on SDN, to which he replied that every single person that asks this question refers to SDN.

Funny, but it is a myth just like this myth that dentists have the highest suicidal rate :D

Of course, the dean is not going to tell you about this. They kick out about 80 student by the second year of dental school, Here is the math: 80 students * 2 years of tuition ( $60,000/year ) = $9.6 million. That is some chunk of change.

Ask the students in NUY and they will tell you about this.

IcemanDDS said:
Ok just think about what you're saying. 50% of dental students dont graduate??? Common sense would tell you that's crazy, I dont care who told you.

I might be mistaken about 50%. But I am sure a great number of them will get kicked out.

balance said:
Of course, the dean is not going to tell you about this. They kick out about 80 student by the second year of dental school, Here is the math: 80 students * 2 years of tuition ( $60,000/year ) = $9.6 million. That is some chunk of change.

I did talk to the students as well and they weren't selected by the office of admissions. We walked into the operatory room I grabbed a couple of random D3 students and asked them that same question. They laughed at me :) They did mention 3 students from their class quit, but for different reasons besides being kicked out.

Now, where did U get that information?

There are some angry people that simply didn't get their long-waited acceptance. To make themselves "feel better" they simply spread rumors and some of us buy this nonsense without verification. Show some scientific mindset people! :)

balance said:

You still make no sense. Sure, the school makes a lot of money in the first two years from students, but WHY would they "kick out" 80 students for any reason? This doesnt free up space for anyone else, and the school would make less money if students left. Its just absurd. That is the last thing I'm gonna say on the subject, as I heed the sig of Bill Johnson. :laugh:

I dunno, since I'm under probation, I'm goign to refrain from calling balance an idiot. I don't know why this rumor of NYU failing half of the class is always perpetuated, it is not true at all. My godfather taught there just 2 years ago and said they're not out to fail anyone, but rather people just end up failing themselves by not doing the work. Every school is going to have less than 100% graduation rate, some drop out, some pursue other careers, and some never make it out of preclinic because their hands just simply aren't damn dextrous enough. It's just that at smaller schools, when you slack off you might get a visit from administration telling you to pick up the slack... but ultimately the reason for failing is on YOUR shoulders. And also, since NYU has a large student body, it simply means taht there will be more who don't graduate simply on the numeric basis.

Sure it's a large institution and some people might view that negatively. The school might not "coddle" you as much as a small school but c'mon, you need someone to hold your hand as you walk down the road of life?? If you do, I'm thinking of a word, it starts with P, and rhymes with Debussy.

Sure the school's curriculum is "competitive" in a sense, but it's nowhere near cut-throat and I hate to break it to some of you people, but life is competitive. It always has, and always will be. It competitive when you're trying to get a high class rankign so you can specialize, and it's competitive when you're trying to get patients to come to YOUR practice, and it's competitive when you're fighting for the affection of that charming lady against all the other collared-shirt, Marc-Jacobs cologn wearing guys that's around her. You know what I'm talking about, at every club, there is always just one gal that seems to just have a presence, she's not the hottest, she's not the most scantily dressed, she's not the one that's dancing on the bar chasing Jagermeisters, but she's the one that just walks through the room with such assured grace and charm, such confidence without a trace of haughtiness, and has such an air of approachability that you know she's a gal that you would have fun simply talking to. She's friendly, easy on the genuine laughter, and is there simply to talk to people and have a good time, and she has no need to engage in the "bitch look" that every women gives when the next slinky, hot, scantily dressed number walks through the door. So now tell me, you going to cry that there's "competition"? Or you going to run your hand through your hair, put one hand in your front jeans pocket so you look relaxed, get a classy-looking drink like a vodka collins, tuck in one side of yoru shirt, think better of it and pull it out, and then go talk to her ?
Sean Connery in The Rock summed it up the best, "losers whine about having done their best, winners go home and f* the prom queen". So take your pick.

Sure the school has a large international contingency who are already practicing dentists. But it's not like they don't have to deal with their own set of challenges and circumstances. Many of them are older, have family and additional financial obligations, and many many have difficulties grasping the English language... I can score pretty high on a Spanish proficiency test and I might be able to get by for an alcohol binge in Mexico, but I'm goign to be lost as hell if I have to go to an institution of higher education and learn... in classes that's taught in high leveled, proficient, and HIGHLY technical Spanish, competing against younger students who are native speakers. Pick up a technical journal in a foreign language, and try to elucidate stuff like "phospholipid bilayer" in Spanish/French/whatever. I'm from an immigrant family and I watched my dad go through dental school in the US. I remember coming home from friends' houses at 4am, and seeing him laboriously hunched over and reading, text book on one side, DICTIONARY on the other.... I remember him being frustrated at the fact that he can do the procedures on patients better than most of the faculty, but unable to pass because he can't remember their proper English names... At no time do I remember him saying, Gee! This is easy! All I've got to do is compete against freshly-admitted American undergrads!

School is what you make of it. Go get it done.

IcemanDDS said:
You still make no sense. Sure, the school makes a lot of money in the first two years from students, but WHY would they "kick out" 80 students for any reason? This doesnt free up space for anyone else, and the school would make less money if students left. Its just absurd. That is the last thing I'm gonna say on the subject, as I heed the sig of Bill Johnson. :laugh:

I was told bya friend at NYU that they have about 220 chairs and they take 300 students. So, they have to let go off 300-220=80 students by the third year. As I said before, I could be wrong, but that's what I have heard.

balance said:
I was told bya friend at NYU that they have about 220 chairs and they take 300 students. So, they have to let go off 300-220=80 students by the third year. As I said before, I could be wrong, but that's what I have heard.
I said I was gonna stop, but I can't resist...

So 80 students, approximately, have to STAND for the first two years? LOL. I guess you'd better get to class on time at NYU or you may be standing for lecture! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

1) They matriculate 250.

2) Why don't you make sure you have yoru information straight before spreading it?

3) I heard from a friend that Los Angeles is goign to be auctioned off on Ebay to Lithuania so UCLA dental grads will not be able to practice in the US.

what are you trying to say? We know life is competitive. but, you don't have to compete for your spot if you are accepted to dental school.

mvs04 said:
I dunno, since I'm under probation, I'm goign to refrain from calling balance an idiot. I don't know why this rumor of NYU failing half of the class is always perpetuated, it is not true at all. My godfather taught there just 2 years ago and said they're not out to fail anyone, but rather people just end up failing themselves by not doing the work. Every school is going to have less than 100% graduation rate, some drop out, some pursue other careers, and some never make it out of preclinic because their hands just simply aren't damn dextrous enough. It's just that at smaller schools, when you slack off you might get a visit from administration telling you to pick up the slack... but ultimately the reason for failing is on YOUR shoulders. And also, since NYU has a large student body, it simply means taht there will be more who don't graduate simply on the numeric basis.

Sure it's a large institution and some people might view that negatively. The school might not "coddle" you as much as a small school but c'mon, you need someone to hold your hand as you walk down the road of life?? If you do, I'm thinking of a word, it starts with P, and rhymes with Debussy.

Sure the school's curriculum is "competitive" in a sense, but it's nowhere near cut-throat and I hate to break it to some of you people, but life is competitive. It always has, and always will be. It competitive when you're trying to get a high class rankign so you can specialize, and it's competitive when you're trying to get patients to come to YOUR practice, and it's competitive when you're fighting for the affection of that charming lady against all the other collared-shirt, Marc-Jacobs cologn wearing guys that's around her. You know what I'm talking about, at every club, there is always just one gal that seems to just have a presence, she's not the hottest, she's not the most scantily dressed, she's not the one that's dancing on the bar chasing Jagermeisters, but she's the one that just walks through the room with such assured grace and charm, such confidence without a trace of haughtiness, and has such an air of approachability that you know she's a gal that you would have fun simply talking to. She's friendly, easy on the genuine laughter, and is there simply to talk to people and have a good time, and she has no need to engage in the "bitch look" that every women gives when the next slinky, hot, scantily dressed number walks through the door. So now tell me, you going to cry that there's "competition"? Or you going to run your hand through your hair, put one hand in your front jeans pocket so you look relaxed, get a classy-looking drink like a vodka collins, tuck in one side of yoru shirt, think better of it and pull it out, and then go talk to her ?
Sean Connery in The Rock summed it up the best, "losers whine about having done their best, winners go home and f* the prom queen". So take your pick.

Sure the school has a large international contingency who are already practicing dentists. But it's not like they don't have to deal with their own set of challenges and circumstances. Many of them are older, have family and additional financial obligations, and many many have difficulties grasping the English language... I can score pretty high on a Spanish proficiency test and I might be able to get by for an alcohol binge in Mexico, but I'm goign to be lost as hell if I have to go to an institution of higher education and learn... in classes that's taught in high leveled, proficient, and HIGHLY technical Spanish, competing against younger students who are native speakers. Pick up a technical journal in a foreign language, and try to elucidate stuff like "phospholipid bilayer" in Spanish/French/whatever. I'm from an immigrant family and I watched my dad go through dental school in the US. I remember coming home from friends' houses at 4am, and seeing him laboriously hunched over and reading, text book on one side, DICTIONARY on the other.... I remember him being frustrated at the fact that he can do the procedures on patients better than most of the faculty, but unable to pass because he can't remember their proper English names... At no time do I remember him saying, Gee! This is easy! All I've got to do is compete against freshly-admitted American undergrads!

balance said:
what are you trying to say? We know life is competitive. but, you don't have to compete for your spot if you are accepted to dental school.

What spot are you talkign about? You get into dental school, you do your work, and graduate.

Dang
BIG and 2pac are back

aceking said:
Dang
BIG and 2pac are back
:confused: I'm not sure which way is up after reading the latter part of this thread...

mvs04 said:
What spot are you talkign about? You get into dental school, you do your work, and graduate.

Let's see if you can graduate. My friend used to have nightmares about getting kicked out from NYU. I hope you have a better time.

Why is there always "my friend.... blah blah blah....[then follows some nonsense]..... formula appears more often and often on SDN?! ;)

Post what you know not what you've heard

ISU_Steve said:
Notice, I listed UMKC as a "reach" school. I know my chances aren't good of getting in, but then again there are tons of people here who have far worse GPA's than mine who apply to Harvard and I don't seem them being criticized. I'm not angry or anything, just a little curious as to why a school I picked warranted that kind of response but we see people list Harvard and other notoriously picky schools and they are not told to not waste their money.

By the way, there were 170 in-state applicants and 1,003 out of state applicants for the 2004 entering class (the newest statistics posted on IUSD website).

You dont get what I am saying...

When you apply to schools you have to figure out where you are from (ie state). In your case its Indiana. If you apply to UMKC, you are theoretically wasting your money. They just dont take many out of state students. Forget Harvard and how it is notoriously picky...its private and hence they dont have to take a certain amount of students from Massachusetts. So they can take whomever they want to take. A great example is my state school UIC. You could have a 26+ DAT, a 4.0 gpa, but if you are from Alaska you will get a big, fat rejection letter. They take ZERO out of state students. Its all about money the school receives from the state and the so-called "promise" to educate only state-born students. If you do well on the DAT, by all means apply to Harvard (just count on going into research...if thats your thing then great).

My advice to you (and you have 2 cycles to get this done) is to call the schools admissions offices, tell them your situation and ask them point blank if you should apply to their school....I did this...it seems not many people want to spend the time or energy doing this but it saves time, money, and a lot of stress. Two schools flat out said "dont apply here" and in the end I was glad I didnt. Dont rely on the people here on SDN...we give opinions and not facts (as shown by the NYU "rumor"). Admissions will give it to you straight....except when you ask what your particular chances are to get in. If you tell them where you are from, your approximate stats, if you have a BS (or not) and other information they will tell you whether you should apply or not. As to if you will get in...thats anyone's guess....apply early and you give yourself a much beter shot.

About NYU, there are people who cant hack it and it is on themselves (and no its not 80 students) when they fail out, however, they are not "kicked out". They are given multiple chances to redeem themselves (remediation) and if they cant make it, then NYU wasnt for them. Personally, I would rather go to a smaller school so I dont have to look over my shoulder just to get by....yes pressure and stress pushes us on...but dental school is going to be crappy enough and I dont want to have to worry about losing 40 k per year (and fortunately wont have to). I think the fact that I recognize that I dont want to go there is better than going and not being able to hack it.

mvs04 said:
1) They matriculate 250.

2) Why don't you make sure you have yoru information straight before spreading it?

3) I heard from a friend that Los Angeles is goign to be auctioned off on Ebay to Lithuania so UCLA dental grads will not be able to practice in the US.
Please don't get banned MVS....you might be rude and crude at times, but you can also be very entertaining.

Bullfan16 said:
You dont get what I am saying...

When you apply to schools you have to figure out where you are from (ie state). In your case its Indiana. If you apply to UMKC, you are theoretically wasting your money. They just dont take many out of state students. Forget Harvard and how it is notoriously picky...its private and hence they dont have to take a certain amount of students from Massachusetts. So they can take whomever they want to take. A great example is my state school UIC. You could have a 26+ DAT, a 4.0 gpa, but if you are from Alaska you will get a big, fat rejection letter. They take ZERO out of state students. Its all about money the school receives from the state and the so-called "promise" to educate only state-born students. If you do well on the DAT, by all means apply to Harvard (just count on going into research...if thats your thing then great).

My advice to you (and you have 2 cycles to get this done) is to call the schools admissions offices, tell them your situation and ask them point blank if you should apply to their school....I did this...it seems not many people want to spend the time or energy doing this but it saves time, money, and a lot of stress. Two schools flat out said "dont apply here" and in the end I was glad I didnt. Dont rely on the people here on SDN...we give opinions and not facts (as shown by the NYU "rumor"). Admissions will give it to you straight....except when you ask what your particular chances are to get in. If you tell them where you are from, your approximate stats, if you have a BS (or not) and other information they will tell you whether you should apply or not. As to if you will get in...thats anyone's guess....apply early and you give yourself a much beter shot.

About NYU, there are people who cant hack it and it is on themselves (and no its not 80 students) when they fail out, however, they are not "kicked out". They are given multiple chances to redeem themselves (remediation) and if they cant make it, then NYU wasnt for them. Personally, I would rather go to a smaller school so I dont have to look over my shoulder just to get by....yes pressure and stress pushes us on...but dental school is going to be crappy enough and I dont want to have to worry about losing 40 k per year (and fortunately wont have to). I think the fact that I recognize that I dont want to go there is better than going and not being able to hack it.
Thanks for the honest advice Bullfan. Didn't mean to miss it earlier. The cold medicine is messing with my head a little today so I'm thinking as clearly as I normally do.

balance said:
both NYU and BU start with approximately 300 students and only let approximately 155 students to graduate.

Dude, you are so off...thats fine if you get your info from your friend at NYU. I still dont believe it, but, I dont go there, so I couldnt say for sure. However, Im not sure how you got that info regarding BU...that they start with 300 students and only 155 graduate. Here is the problem: BU's class size is 115. Know what you are talking about before you post.

balance said:

How bout this math??

80 students that they keep * 4 YEARS of tuition = $19.2 million.

I hope that my math is not rusty, but I believe that 19.2 million is larger than 9.6 million.

Balance, get off these forums.

I don't really know or care one way or another on this issue, but if you're going to start throwing math around lets factor the schools cost of educating a student into the equation. I don't know how to do this. I would assume that the school spends more on 3rd and 4rth years because of the chairs (the dental ones) and maybe some other factors. You guys are just talking gross income, not net profit. But then again, I don't really know what I'm talking about either.

balance said:

NYU may start off with around 300 students (about 250-270 first year and more than 300 second year) but BU definitely does not. BU's initial class size is about 115.

mvs04 said:

This is so freakin long that I won't even read it. You may have some great points here but you lose an audience by going on and on.

souperman said:
This is so freakin long that I won't even read it. You may have some great points here but you lose an audience by going on and on.
Well put. I read everything you typed but only the first couple lines of the other guy's.

Point was: lots of wusses here.

souperman said:

It a great post, you should read it. And mvs04, you dont have to compete for a gurl, all you have to do is say a couple of the words you mentioned in that post and you will be going home with her. Keep the funny posts coming man :thumbup: , but don't go over the line and get banned.

So it was a pretty good post, but moslty I want to go clubbing now instead of learning biochem for tomorrow's final like I should be.