Safeway phone interview/grad intern question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

john888

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I recently received a call from a Safeway recruiter, who scheduled a phone interview for me with a pharmacy recruiter. The interview is for a grad intern position, but I am not currently a licensed pharmacy intern in that state! I do have an intern license in one state, but I don't think that means anything in other states.

I had applied to a bunch of grad intern positions across the country a couple of weeks ago, not thinking about the fact that I don't have an intern license in those states (which I'm sure is required to fulfill the duties of the position). I feel like an idiot for not realizing this, but it totally slipped my mind.

Just curious if anybody else has been in this boat, or any suggestions. I called into the board earlier today and found out that getting an intern license would probably take 1-1.5 months..my interview is in a week, so no chance of even being close to having my intern license by then

Anyone know if I still have a chance with the position? The recruiter said they were also interviewing fully licensed pharmacists, so I'm sure they have the real advantage, but everyone with an intern license has an advantage over me lol. I'm also curious what percentage of applicants they choose for phone interviews - I imagine it must be pretty high, because I was surprised to hear back from them as a random out of state applicant

I'm considering letting him know during the interview that while I don't have an intern license, I'd be willing to work as a technician until it comes through (or until I'm actually a licensed pharmacist, which may come first). Not sure he'd go for that lol but it's the only alternative to waiting for my intern license that I can think of

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I had the same situation and the recruiter told me he wanted to hire me, but first I had to get an intern license in that state so I went to the state's BOP website, printed out the form, filled out my part, took it to my dean's office so they can do their part then I picked it up when they told me it was ready (about 4 days) and mailed it to the state BOP for that state. It took them like a week or 2 before my name appeared on their website where you can search for license registrations. The recruiter told me to just keep searching my last name and to get my intern license number off there and send it to him asap. I did and it only took less than a week for that state to mail me my hard copy version. Was easy and quick process.

Reactions: 1 user