Salary a Pharmacist VS a nurse

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
You're a nurse?

No. I absolutely HATED it. It was horrible. I think it was the school I went to. Anyhoo, I dropped out during the medical surgical semester. Best thing I ever did. If I hadn't, I wouldn't be pursuing pharmacy. :rolleyes:

Members don't see this ad.

Hi,

How much does a clinical pharmacist (working in a hospital) start out at? I know it's lower than retail. How much lower? Thanks

Members don't see this ad :)
Hospital pharmacist's salaries have been making strides to close the gap. The last I saw, in Illinois, the average is somewhere in the 80s, while community is in the mid to high 90s.

I'm a Registered Nurse in the midwest at a children's hospital, and our new nurse grads start out at about $22/hr (not including shift differentials). Pharmacists definitely earn a higher income than nurses.

just my 2 cents but...

I just graduated and signed a contract with Walgreens for 104k with 35k sign on bonus. This is the STANDARD starting salaries and sign on bonus for Walgreens in my area (middle of illinois). The nice thing is that I keep my technician/intern years so I have a total of 5.5 years with the company that roles over into my pharmacist seniority. As such you get 3 weeks paid vacation and 3.27:1 profit sharing matched up to 2% of your annual income. Alot more benefits are offered (stock, etc) but that should give you an idea of what is out there....

Is there anyone who has any working experience at a hospital? I was just wondering who is making money better. A pharmacist or a nurse (specially RN)? Calculate- stress+social respect. Start $80.000 (a pharmacist) ..WWow.. RN starts $35/hr..How long does it take to be a RN. 4 years I guess..P.S I am the man who loves money.. kidding!!

Haha you know the answer "who is making better money?" ? You answered that for me even. A pharmacist is known as the most trusted in the health profession.
RN'S WORK hard, they work along side doctors they are respected for there work, as well as an lpn whom has direct patient care. You have to find your mold what fits you. Dont do it for social respect becasue if you hate it, it wont work for you.

Haha you know the answer "who is making better money?" ? You answered that for me even. A pharmacist is known as the most trusted in the health profession.

You obviously haven't been reading the gallup polls for the last decade or so.

I"ve worked in a hospital for almost 6 years. Rn's in my area start at $20.70 an hour. They max out at $30.00 an hour BUT it takes 15 YEARS to reach the max. RN's have to deal with feces,urine, vomit, sputum, blood, pus, bedsores, open wounds, lesions,etc. They also have to get juices/soda, food, snacks for pts and sometimes family members. In some hospitals they change linens, clean beds and empty the trash. By the way I live in a major city so imagine living on $20.00 something dollars an hour. It's very difficult. If I'd known about pharmacy before I went to college I definitely would have gone to pharmacy school. Pharmacists make twice the money and don't have to deal with patients(ie hands on patient care) and gross bodily fluids.

My brother is becomming a RN, he said it takes 5 years to become.

Also, he went to class on wensday and someone there told him that the salary of a RN went up to $80 an hour because there is this new test that you have to take in order to graduate which is very difficult. He said out of 500 people, 22 pass, you have 10 seconds for each question. However, I highly doubt this.

Current RN's do not get paid the 80 an hour untill they pass this exam.

Complete BS.

I'm a new grad RN. New grad RNs do not make as much as new grad pharmacists. It doesn't matter where the pharmacist works, it doesn't matter where the RN works, it also doesn't matter geographically. Sure, an RN can earn advanced degrees and surpass a pharmacist in some situations, but if you're going to compare apples to apples, new grad pharmacists make more. Period.

And the above poster's brother is incredibly gullible.

Also, for anyone interested in getting into the field, it is important to consider the inflation which is occurring in the salaries of pharmacists--it had been averaging about 8% a year. So someone entering school this year can have a reasonable expectation of $125,000 by the time they graduate.

The flip side is that there won't be any JOBS in 20 years because of the huge increase in grads.

The flip side is that there won't be any JOBS in 20 years because of the huge increase in grads.

I read that come the year 2020 the job shortage is predicted to be around 150,000.

yea, but if you become a nurse anesthesist, then dough increases

but for RN, pharms make more

Members don't see this ad :)
I used to be a nurse and now I'm a pharm. student - so I know both sides.
At least here, in midwest, regular nurses make 22-25 $/hour whereas regular pharmacists make 48-50$/hour.
I am not sure about Cal, but again if you make 100K in Cal you have basically the same buying power as if you make 50K in midwest.
The only way to make good money in nursing field is to become a CRNA, but it's supercompetetive, in addition, they are constantly being sued.

An RN here, now CRNA student, thought I'd chime in here while I was reading some of the posts by one of your colleagues I respect. Here's an apples to apples comparison. New RN's in my area start at $17.50/hr. For the typical 3 twelves/week that is $33k/year. Most new nurses start on the night shift which adds another 20% differential. Some areas of the country we make more, but there is also a higher cost of living. I work at a medical university and our pharmacy school recently published that the average starting salary for the last class was $91k. The minimum education for a RN is a diploma program or associate degree....2-2 1/2 years. PharmD is 5 years? At the end of that time, the RN that started college with you and got an associate degree will be making around $36k with the usual 3% raises every year.
Soooo....if you are in it for the money.....$36K v. 91K......that's a no-brainer. If you are trying to decide what you want to do with the rest of your life and enjoy it.....that's difficult for most. A was man once said that you are lucky if you can do something you enjoy and makes some money at it.

The best thing so far about my nursing school experience is that it has taken me from "think I might like pharmacy" to "pharmacy is the one thing I love above all else."

I got some (good-natured) glares today in class when I complained about only having two semesters of pharm. Not fair of me, of course, "If you love pharmacy so much, why are you in nursing school?" Good question :)

-RD

I used to be a nurse and now I'm a pharm. student - so I know both sides.
At least here, in midwest, regular nurses make 22-25 $/hour whereas regular pharmacists make 48-50$/hour.
I am not sure about Cal, but again if you make 100K in Cal you have basically the same buying power as if you make 50K in midwest.
The only way to make good money in nursing field is to become a CRNA, but it's supercompetetive, in addition, they are constantly being sued.

An RN here, now CRNA student, thought I'd chime in here while I was reading some of the posts by one of your colleagues I respect. Here's an apples to apples comparison. New RN's in my area start at $17.50/hr. For the typical 3 twelves/week that is $33k/year. Most new nurses start on the night shift which adds another 20% differential. Some areas of the country we make more, but there is also a higher cost of living. I work at a medical university and our pharmacy school recently published that the average starting salary for the last class was $91k. The minimum education for a RN is a diploma program or associate degree....2-2 1/2 years. PharmD is 5 years? At the end of that time, the RN that started college with you and got an associate degree will be making around $36k with the usual 3% raises every year.
Soooo....if you are in it for the money.....$36K v. 91K......that's a no-brainer. If you are trying to decide what you want to do with the rest of your life and enjoy it.....that's difficult for most. A was man once said that you are lucky if you can do something you enjoy and makes some money at it.

6 years is minimum but I think more and more people spend 7 to 8 years now. But yeah, man those salaries and bonuses are good, lol. I can't wait to get into pharmacy school, but I doubt I will get in. Anyway since someone mentioned 2020, I found a website that may interest you.
http://www.erieri.com/index.cfm?FuseAction=CareerPlanning.SalaryPotential

how is that possible? what state do u live? RN $17hour? maybe you are talking about LPN. LPN start at that pay. My friend is a CNA right now starts at $15 and $17 on weekends.

how is that possible? what state do u live? RN $17hour? maybe you are talking about LPN. LPN start at that pay. My friend is a CNA right now starts at $15 and $17 on weekends.

It is not only possible it is a fact. That is for a new grad RN....most hospitals in the area, biggest city in the state, start them at $17.50/hr. The state is Arkansas.....and yes it's sad. Most of the surrounding states pay significantly more.

In the state of Florida, hospital RNs start at 17 to 22 an hour. In Georgia, hospital RNs start at 18-21 an hour. Office nurses usually get paid less.

And they wonder why there is a shortage.

The southern states are notorious for lousy pay and worse conditions for nurses. When I graduated in 1993, I started at 12.50/hr plus (lousy) diffs for being responsible for the care of 8-16 patients, on a medsurg floor. Some of my patients were fresh postops, receiving blood, or possibly on epiderals for pain control.

I obviously do much better these days, but most of my assignments are northern, I am a traveler and I am certified in onco and do chemo.

(I still see where some for profit hospitals haven't learned - they are offering $23/hr for travelers for the Florida winter season). The Virgin Islands/Hawaii (notorious bad payers) are offering more than many hospitals in Florida. And I personally will freeze up north rather than accept that kind of pay.

Yes, Pharmacists do make more than RNs, but BSN/RNs make more than a 2 year RN. I know because my wife is an RN and I am pharmacist.

Some of these cocky young pharmacists brag about having a nice salary and a cushy job, but you screw up - which is not hard to do - your career can be finished! I will also say that as a pharmacist fresh out of school I signed with one of the major chain and began making $65,000 a year (1995) w/o sign-on bonus. I make about $25,000 more now, but I can guarantee that my salary won't increase much more. Pharmacists salaries tend to increase slowly and there is a cap at about 20 years service with a company. Nurses I think go through the same, but I know that Nurses with bachelors degrees make a bit more than LPNs/2 year RNs, moreover depending on where you work it can be significantly higher than the scant $17-$20 per hour. If a nurse wants to make more money - $60K-$140K then go to grad school and be a NP or CRNA. My wife will be an NP soon and her pay will skyrocket and she'll also have a bit more autonomy. But, I'll bet that CRNAs and NPs will be paying malpractice insurance just like doctors, in fact I think some CRNAs already do.

But, mark my word Pharmacist will be paying malpractice insurance before too much longer, especially with all the greedy lawyers out on the prowl. In fact, there is a lot of talk already about mandatory malpractice insurance for pharmacists. So some of you neophyte PharmDs enjoy it while it lasts!

I can say this Nursing does have a lot of pluses - like the ability to work in different areas - travel nursing, ICU, ER(excellent pay, but stressful), wound care and psychiatry. Pharmacist do have some specializations, but they don't the options and flexibility that nurses do.

As for nursing education, 2 year degrees and LPN programs will eventually be phased out for BSN/RNs. That should help the pay and prestige of nurses move up. I have even read in medical/nursing mags and journals that in 20 years you will see NurseDs (NDs) - Doctors of Nursing. It is the same phenomenon that happened to pharmacy a few years back. As I understand to get into nursing school in 20 years will be a more rigorous undertaking meaning that there will be a 2 year pre-nursing curriculum and then applying to nursing school with your previous coursework and nursing college entrance exam (just a speculation- but it will probably be called NCAT). But that is 20 years off, and if you are an BSN or NP by then you will probably be grandfathered into the NurseD title. It's what happened to me a few years ago. I came out of Pharmacy school with a Bachelors of Pharmacy - which are now defunct in lieu of PharmD. Personally, I think it was silly to change the whole thing! :thumbdown:

So nursing isn't so bad. I think nurses actually are more respected than pharmacists in a lot of ways. Pharmacists are even more respected than doctors in some areas too - especially their ability to call a doctor on a mistake.

Do what you like, but if you are in it for the money you will be sadly disappointed, especially when malpractice insurance becomes a reality for pharmacists. It probably won't be as expensive as what doctors pay, but it will suck to see a few thousand go to protect you from the medical malpractice attorneys. :(

I've had my own malpractice insurance for the 30 years I've been a practicing pharmacist.

You don't have any yourself:eek: ?

But, mark my word Pharmacist will be paying malpractice insurance before too much longer, especially with all the greedy lawyers out on the prowl. In fact, there is a lot of talk already about mandatory malpractice insurance for pharmacists. So some of you neophyte PharmDs enjoy it while it lasts!

As for nursing education, 2 year degrees and LPN programs will eventually be phased out for BSN/RNs. That should help the pay and prestige of nurses move up. I have even read in medical/nursing mags and journals that in 20 years you will see NurseDs (NDs) - Doctors of Nursing. It is the same phenomenon that happened to pharmacy a few years back. As I understand to get into nursing school in 20 years will be a more rigorous undertaking meaning that there will be a 2 year pre-nursing curriculum and then applying to nursing school with your previous coursework and nursing college entrance exam (just a speculation- but it will probably be called NCAT). But that is 20 years off, and if you are an BSN or NP by then you will probably be grandfathered into the NurseD title. It's what happened to me a few years ago. I came out of Pharmacy school with a Bachelors of Pharmacy - which are now defunct in lieu of PharmD. Personally, I think it was silly to change the whole thing! :thumbdown:

So nursing isn't so bad. I think nurses actually are more respected than pharmacists in a lot of ways. Pharmacists are even more respected than doctors in some areas too - especially their ability to call a doctor on a mistake.

Do what you like, but if you are in it for the money you will be sadly disappointed, especially when malpractice insurance becomes a reality for pharmacists. It probably won't be as expensive as what doctors pay, but it will suck to see a few thousand go to protect you from the medical malpractice attorneys. :(

Wow...just some incredible and very interesting insight from someone with experience. Really the entire post, I'm just conserving space by selecting key points (ok, essential I selected the whole post). Thank you for sharing this information, I certainly appreciate it. :thumbup:

Ive always thought pharmacists were paid on a hourly basis...

Very interesting topic and very informative posts.
I have a question though: It seems to me that the market will be flooded with pharmacists eventually (mabe 20-30 years from now). When that happen, how much will you expect the salary to drop in retail? Does it go the same way for clinical salarywise?
Another question: If lets say, a newly graduate signs a contract with cvs or walgreens etc,,,, 100k . Would it be possible that this salary will drop 10 years later because of more Pharmacist supply? or it is unlikely that a salary will drop below the starting salary, regardless of supply?

I hope to get your opinion.

Very interesting topic and very informative posts.
I have a question though: It seems to me that the market will be flooded with pharmacists eventually (mabe 20-30 years from now). When that happen, how much will you expect the salary to drop in retail? Does it go the same way for clinical salarywise?
Another question: If lets say, a newly graduate signs a contract with cvs or walgreens etc,,,, 100k . Would it be possible that this salary will drop 10 years later because of more Pharmacist supply? or it is unlikely that a salary will drop below the starting salary, regardless of supply?

I hope to get your opinion.

No and No.

In 30 years my income has never dropped. The thing that changes is how easy it is to get a job. I've known positions to be eliminated, but even in the bad economic times of pharmacy, the income has not been reduced.

btw.....green is very difficult to read....

My sister is a pharmacist and she has malpractice insurance as well, I thought it was standard for everyone to have it. But then again I don't know tooo much.

Do most pharmacists have malpractice insurance?

There needs to be a sticky at the top this forum. There's too many salary posts that cover the topic of pharmacy salary vs. dentist/nurse/lumberjack salary.
Just something that covers the salary topic or at least provides links to other websites that give an idea of salaries for various careers.

Pharmacists make nearly double that of nurses to start, $50,000 vs. $100,000. To become an RN requires 4 years of school while to become a pharmacist requires a minimum of 6 years... probably more in most cases. I would also say that a pharmacists job is much less strees than a nurses. As far as respect, from my time working in the hospital and retail pharmacy, pharmacists are very respected, nearly as much as physicians in many cases but nurses also seem to get a lot of respect also.

It should be standard for every pharmacist. Its so cheap that it's well worth the money.

How much does malpractice insurance cost for a pharmacist?

My pharmacology teacher said even the techs have malpractice insurance. That may only be California, though that seems unlikely. I know he said we got a discount through the school of like $120/yr, but I don't know what the caps were on that policy. After that I think he said it's regularly $300/yr. That was for the techs. I'm certain it's higher for pharmacists since they'd have more liability.

I am an RN and my base salary is not so great at 22.70/hr. I work every weekend and get paid time and a half (called Weekend Work Program), so I actually make 34.05/hr. If I choose to work another day, I get my base pay + $150.00 bonus. It's not bad money when you work it like that. Without working more than 24 hours a week, I am paid over 42k a year. I usually work more. I have a family to feed!

But no way will I ever (nor should I be able to) make as much as a pharmacist.

As for the BSN/ADN debate; this argument is as old as the hills, while the nursing shortage is spiking not just rising. Economics will be the driving force behind any ADN change, and I suspect that not only will it not change, but there will be a Dakotas dissolution of the current requirement of BSN.

My buddy in Sacramento starts his pharmacists at $60 per hour with 1 weekend a month I believe. He's a good guy. He and I have a wager going. His bonus for this quarter is $15,000.. I said after taxes..his take home will be closer to 8K, he thinks 12K. Whoever is closer wins..the loser gets to fly to the other guys town and must buy sushi.

His 8k should be enough to cover the flight and sushi. Enjoy that!

But, mark my word Pharmacist will be paying malpractice insurance before too much longer, especially with all the greedy lawyers out on the prowl.
I have never met a pharmacist who doesn't have malpractice insurance. It's pretty cheap considering. You should look into it.

Pharmacist do have some specializations, but they don't the options and flexibility that nurses do.
Their are a lot of specialty opportunities available to pharmacists. Graduating from pharm school and immediately signing a contract with a retail chain is not a great way to open the door to these opportunities. They really are everywhere.

It's what happened to me a few years ago. I came out of Pharmacy school with a Bachelors of Pharmacy - which are now defunct in lieu of PharmD. Personally, I think it was silly to change the whole thing! :thumbdown:
Were you really "grandfathered in"? I know RPhs are able to practice pharmacy without further education, but I actually know quite a few BS R.Phs who are currently reenrolled in PharmD programs with hopes of going back for residency as they were unable to do residencies without the PharmD. Please don't take this as disrepect, as I know many RPhs who are not PharmDs who have incredible pharmacy knowledge and experience far surpassing that of their PharmD colleagues.

how much do pharmacists get paid per hour in the DC AREA, does any1 know?...starting out

I'm a new RN graduated & I love my job... New graduated RN doesn't get pay $17.50 an hr.. I went to school for two years.. and now I get paid $34 an hr.. I think it depend on the state.. but California salary are much higher compare to other states... Anyway.. do something that you love..if you really want to become a nurse... then go for it.. really rewarding job.. if you love helping people.. then you will love the job.. if you just go for the money.. then this is not the job for you..

My aunt is a nurse and makes $55/hr in Northern California. She has a BSN + 20yrs experience.

PS the original post was written horribly, IMO. High school student?

California does pay a lot higher than in most of the country because of cost of living. I was once with a nursing student when she was looking through a nursing magazine. There was an ad for some hospital saying starting salary was $65k. She was surprised at that amount, but when she realized it was in San Francisco, it made sense. From what I hear, new RNs in the Chicago area start somewhere in $20-$25 per hour range.

For an associate's degree, it takes about 2 years as an RN. For your BSN, 3 years. As a new R.N. grad in Southern California, you can start at $30/hr. Of course, nurse practicioners and nurse anesthetist with more education get paid from $80-120K or so. But, generally speaking, pharmacists make more income than an R.N.

For an associate's degree, it takes about 2 years as an RN. For your BSN, 3 years. As a new R.N. grad in Southern California, you can start at $30/hr. Of course, nurse practicioners and nurse anesthetist with more education get paid from $80-120K or so. But, generally speaking, pharmacists make more income than an R.N.

i have a friend also in LA, with associates in nursing. She makes 42 per hr after working 5 years.

seems like pharm should be making slightly more than they are now since the amt of responsibility that is involved,

Ok so for those that think a nurse makes $80 an hour are very confused. MY fiance is graduating with her BSN to become an RN in December. The test they have to take after graduation to become an RN is the NCLEX and about 85-90% pass not the low rate i heard in this thread. RNs make between 20-35 an hour starting. Pharmacists make more like 45+ an hour starting and are more respected in the hospital (if you have ever worked in a hospital you will notice how doctors disrespect nurses more often than pharmacists.

CA Rn's salary = CA PharmD salary

My aunt makes 52/hr in Cali

Ok so for those that think a nurse makes $80 an hour are very confused. MY fiance is graduating with her BSN to become an RN in December. The test they have to take after graduation to become an RN is the NCLEX and about 85-90% pass not the low rate i heard in this thread. RNs make between 20-35 an hour starting. Pharmacists make more like 45+ an hour starting and are more respected in the hospital (if you have ever worked in a hospital you will notice how doctors disrespect nurses more often than pharmacists.

again it depends where u guy live. But i agree 80 an hour is a big exaggeration. however for RN who have BS/MS, 40+ is not uncommon in CA.

cvs just offered me a mimimum of 115,752 dollars (salaried) for 42 hours a week. I will probably be raking in 120k+. I dont even know how people can think a newly graduated nurse/pa can have a higher pay on average than a newly graduated pharmacist. Do they even get paid vacations (i am going to be getting 3 weeks), holidays, stock options, 401k matching plan, bonuses (not talking about one time deals), etc?

ps. next year, the rate will even go up higher by 3-4 percent.