Salary Comparison

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hawkeye

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know this should never be a question, but do D.O. earn less than M.D.'s? I have heard both sides of the story, but I am still unclear.

Members don't see this ad.

not just because of those letters. if you are a good doctor you will make the money. i know a DO and he has too many patients. plain and simple, he's a good doctor. he's doing better than his MD counterparts.

There is no difference in the salary that a DO earns from what an MD earns. A cardiologist is a cardiologist and earns the same same average of $260K per anum-it doesn't matter if he/she is an MD, DO, DM, MBBS, BM, MBchir, etc.

Anyone who tells you otherwise has NO idea what they are talking about.

Johan Aasbo
MS-II CCOM

Members don't see this ad :)
Hawk - in my cardiology practice, there is no pay raise/ pay cut for what type of physician you are. Both the MD's and DO's make a salary based upon the number of years with the practice, number patients, etc. Though, I presume there may be some salary prejudice that still exists, example: women in general make less than men. Go figure. (there is a lot of guessing rational for this, type of medicine practiced, etc.) This said, I would hate to see a person go into the MD field as opposed to the DO b/c of money. Pick the type of medicine that best fits you and your idea of medicine.

------------------
Sara
Class of 2004 at XXXXX

Thank you all for responding to my question. I am in my junior year at the University of Iowa. I would like to go to an osteopath school, but I am not too informed on many of the schools. I would like to go into surgery (heart or orthopedic) does anyone have any suggested schools?

Hawk,

Just a matter of friendly advice, prior to apllying to any medical schools...I would strongly suggest you improve your knowledge base. The schools, DO & MD alike, will ask questions that will make your lack of knowledge apparent. Then, it is highly probably, they will interpret this a lack of motivation/dedication. It would be a shame for someone who has worked their butt off to be competitive as an undergrad to blow it on such an easily remedied [sp?] topic.

------------------
'Old Man Dave'
KCOM, Class of '03

Thanks for you wonderful words of wisdom, Dave! I am sure with your comment in mind I will gain admission to any medical school in the nation