Salary potential

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Im not talking about private practice,. I don't know in what capacity you are talking about working but I am talking about inpatient work which tends to pay the most due to the most heavy clinical load. Im talking about hospitals with residency programs attached to them. I have worked in 4 different ones in two different states. All of them require attendings to be on call even when the residents or fellows were there moonlighting. This is common and it is the standard of care around here

On call as in in house even overnight?

Members don't see this ad.

Yes, the 80 hour rule applies; not the 1 day off per 7 days rule.
Is that so? My program was telling me that I'm still bound by the 1 day off per 7 days rule. It would be great if that weren't true because I'd be fine with just 2 days off some months.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Moonlighting doesn't count toward duty hours. Even if it did, I'd still be within limits.

"Many attendings", "higher moonlighting rate", "Many still don't hit 500k so as a resident, seems impossible". Where are you getting this information from? You need to talk to more psychiatrists in private practice. I personally know a few making 700k-1 million plus, but they work very hard for it. Majority I know in private practice make at least 400-500k, and that's working a pretty reasonable schedule.

It's not a single job that is paying me this much. I have more than one gig. I make that much in total; the range exists due to variation in the census.

Interesting. So (Im guessing) you work 2-3 jobs over the course of a weekend? Can you explain how this works to hit the dollar amount you specified?

Also how easy would it find these jobs for a hard working individual?

Members don't see this ad :)
Just wanted to add my piece. I'm in my fourth year of private practice in C&A psych and adult (50/50). I started my pp in my last year of fellowship and didn't take insurance. I now charge $500/45 min. I work 9-430 with an hour lunch everyday and see 40 pts a week on avg. I have a wait list and my schedule is usually booked 4-6 weeks in advance. Many of my patients are weekly therapy patients. I see low income patients one weekend day a month for free.

I made over 1.1 million last year and 700k my first year out of fellowship. I have little overhead, have a great assistant, great referral base (many of which are word of mouth from therapists and families). I have a great work life balance (<40 hours work week) and great satisfaction in my work with generally happy patients. It's definitely possible to make over
one million in psych and I will have accomplished it three years running by the end of this year. I hope to hear from others with similar success!

Reactions: 6 users
Just wanted to add my piece. I'm in my fourth year of private practice in C&A psych and adult (50/50). I started my pp in my last year of fellowship and didn't take insurance. I now charge $500/45 min. I work 9-430 with an hour lunch everyday and see 40 pts a week on avg. I have a wait list and my schedule is usually booked 4-6 weeks in advance. Many of my patients are weekly therapy patients. I see low income patients one weekend day a month for free.

I made over 1.1 million last year and 700k my first year out of fellowship. I have little overhead, have a great assistant, great referral base (many of which are word of mouth from therapists and families). I have a great work life balance (<40 hours work week) and great satisfaction in my work with generally happy patients. It's definitely possible to make over
one million in psych and I will have accomplished it three years running by the end of this year. I hope to hear from others with similar success!

Congrarulaions! A few questions:

What area of the country are you in?
What was your thought process when you were thinking about where to open your office?
Do you share an office with any other therapists and/or psychiatrists or is it just you and your assistant?
How did you go about marketing your practice when you first opened up shop in your last year of fellowship?

You can PM me if you don't want to share publicly. Thanks!

Congrarulaions! A few questions:

What area of the country are you in?
What was your thought process when you were thinking about where to open your office?
Do you share an office with any other therapists and/or psychiatrists or is it just you and your assistant?
How did you go about marketing your practice when you first opened up shop in your last year of fellowship?

You can PM me if you don't want to share publicly. Thanks!

I am also interested in the answers to these questions.

But you do C&A so you REALLY deserve those stacks of chips. God bless. Parents....