Salutation in emails

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

stoleyerscrubz

Registered User and Stuff
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
When sending a letter to someone in an administrational role do you address them with their credentials if that is how it is listed in the school directory?

"Dear Stoleyerscrubz, M.P.S"

This is someone I never met. I have read to not assume someone is married/unmarried,male or female and and not use Mr./Mrs/Miss.

I would rather make it more personal than "Dear sirs," or "Dear Administration Officer of X Department". Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Well, Ms. would be appropriate for both married and unmarried females and Mr. for the same in the male gender. If the person has a professional degree, ie, a PhD, (sadly, there are PhDs working in administrative positions) then you could address them as Doctor, but frankly, I see nothing wrong with using Dear Ms. X or Mr. Y. Obviously this assumes that you can figure out their gender by their first name. A little more personal as you note than To Whom it May Concern or Dear Sir or Madam.

Good question. I have not been mentioning their credentials cause I think you really only that for prof or dr or whatever. You don't call someone with a master's degree "Master CaMD." --unless you're into that kind of thing.. ;)

I just say Dear Ms/Mr. Administrator.

I do think the last things you listed are too formal and akward.

While people put their degrees in their own signature, you don't include it when addressing them.