San Antonio Laptops

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mercury26

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is anyone from the San Antonio dental school that would be willing to share their experience with working with a laptop? Do your eyes get extremely tired? Do you feel the need to print a whole lot of stuff? Any input would be appreciated.
Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

The eyes aren't the main problem; yes, I probably print at least $50 worth of sheets per semester at the library (10 cents/page -- still cheaper than inkjet cartridges).

I'd be looking into/asking lots of questions about VitalSource technologies if I were you. Have you interviewed yet? You can ask Dr. Thomas or any other administrator for the canned "public" answer, but you need to talk to students for the frustrations assoc. with this learning method.

Members don't see this ad :)
Mercury26 said:
Is anyone from the San Antonio dental school that would be willing to share their experience with working with a laptop? Do your eyes get extremely tired? Do you feel the need to print a whole lot of stuff? Any input would be appreciated.
Thanks!

I am a DS1 at San Antonio and I absolutely love having a laptop. In addition to the cd with over 200 books on it, you also get printed lecture manuals for every class, so yes, you can take real notes during lecture. It allows teachers to pull the info they believe is important and teach it rather than having to choose a single (or 2 or 3) book to go by. The lecture manuals are also on the cd so when the professor talks about a structure etc you can click on the link in the manual and it pulls up a picture (the picture the prof expects you to know). Also very good for prereading dissections when you could waste a lot of time looking for a good pic of a structure you are supposed to find the next day, just click on the computer link in the dissection instructions. A med student (they still use hard books) was over studying and kept using my computer because going through his lecture notes, every time he needed to look up a word he'd have to sort through his books and then through the index and finally get what he wanted -- we just enter the word into the search box and 2 seconds later have a list of multiple text and graphics findings. It's especially good for its medical/dental illustrated dictonaries, very helpful when you need to look up every other word in a reading. Plus carrying a laptop sure beats carrying books everywhere. Also, I found that almost everything I needed printed the teachers have realized we needed printed and have done it for us - I think I printed $5 worth of powerpoints all semester but that's it. Hope this helps (although I realize you posted your q awhile ago). Feel free to email with questions about San Antonio.

Yeah I've seen you dentites wish your cushy laptops....medical administration is reluctant to change, they see it "nearly" as a threat??? Needless to say the med school got reaccreditation for 8 years so the whole medical curriculum is being changed next year (poor MS1s) and major strides in technology are being made: histo lab is gone and replaced with some software program, and other stuff that is completely unnecessary, we also got some new building that is suppose to be for us??? they have yet to convince me of that but hey, thats what it says on paper....

-yeah yeah I know I took over your thread but hey! ;)

TexDent2008 said:
I am a DS1 at San Antonio and I absolutely love having a laptop. In addition to the cd with over 200 books on it, you also get printed lecture manuals for every class, so yes, you can take real notes during lecture. It allows teachers to pull the info they believe is important and teach it rather than having to choose a single (or 2 or 3) book to go by. The lecture manuals are also on the cd so when the professor talks about a structure etc you can click on the link in the manual and it pulls up a picture (the picture the prof expects you to know). Also very good for prereading dissections when you could waste a lot of time looking for a good pic of a structure you are supposed to find the next day, just click on the computer link in the dissection instructions. A med student (they still use hard books) was over studying and kept using my computer because going through his lecture notes, every time he needed to look up a word he'd have to sort through his books and then through the index and finally get what he wanted -- we just enter the word into the search box and 2 seconds later have a list of multiple text and graphics findings. It's especially good for its medical/dental illustrated dictonaries, very helpful when you need to look up every other word in a reading. Plus carrying a laptop sure beats carrying books everywhere. Also, I found that almost everything I needed printed the teachers have realized we needed printed and have done it for us - I think I printed $5 worth of powerpoints all semester but that's it. Hope this helps (although I realize you posted your q awhile ago). Feel free to email with questions about San Antonio.

There is a new aprtament complex opening up called Braodstone Colonnade. The complex is the nicest I've seen in the area and they have great move in specials. A good number of current medical students are moving out there next year icluding myself, so I thought I'd let you guys know about it. If you end up checking it out, tell them Neil from the medical school sent you. She'll hook you up with 4 weeks free prorated over a 12 month lease. If you end up filling out an application, put my namedown, Neil Shah in the referral section. I get a little kick back once you have lived there for a month... once I find out that you put me down as a referral, I'll slip a $50 check into your school mailbox. The complex is really worth checking out... they have a nice gym with multiple treadmills with individual LCD TVs and a indoor basketball court. They have a really nice sports lounge with a kitchen, a huge plasma TV, a nice pool with outdoor TVs, a outdoor poolside fireplace, a a lot of BBQ grills by the pool. The floor plans are big and the interiors are really modern(wooden floors, lofted ceilings, nice views). There information is as follows:

1bd/1bth 568sq ft $577
1bd/1bth 664sq ft $655
1bd/1bth 707sq ft $687
1bd/1bth 858sq ft $779

2bd/2bth 997sq ft $926
2bd/2bth 1099sq ft $995
2bd/2bth 1146sq ft $1045

3bd/3bth 1311sq ft $1350

The typical rent for a 1bd/1bth in the area is $475 to $900 depending on the quality. This complex is the nicest I've seen in the area and not nearly as expensive as the rest of the nicer places. That's why a bunch of med/dent students are moving there next year.

Melissa Garcia (or whoever is working there at the time)
Broadstone Colonnade
4330 Spectrum One
San Antonio, TX 78230
210-877-9926
210-877-9944 fax

Shoot me an email if you end up signing a lease and putting me down as a referral at [email protected]
I'll confirm it with Melissa and then once you've lived there for a month I'll hook you up with your $50.

See you guys at school soon...

Neil
MS-II

TexDent2008 said:
Also very good for prereading dissections when you could waste a lot of time looking for a good pic of a structure you are supposed to find the next day, just click on the computer link in the dissection instructions.

1. Does Dr. Williams still teach gross anatomy? I was a TA/tutor under him.
2. When I was a UTHSCSA student the DVD's you bought weren't good after you graduated (they "erased" themselves) and therefore you didn't have any dental textbooks when you graduated. Is that still the case? I was the last class to NOT use the computer piece of ****.

txdent2be2007 said:
I'd be looking into/asking lots of questions about VitalSource technologies if I were you. Have you interviewed yet?

One of the shadiest companies ever, as far as I'm concerned. I know the package they offered San Antonio is probably different than the one they offered us at Arizona, but we haven't received even 1/3 of the items they promised us.

It's a rip-off and now I just chalk it up under misc. fees. --the money is gone and I'll never see it again.

tx oms said:
1. Does Dr. Williams still teach gross anatomy? I was a TA/tutor under him.
2. When I was a UTHSCSA student the DVD's you bought weren't good after you graduated (they "erased" themselves) and therefore you didn't have any dental textbooks when you graduated. Is that still the case? I was the last class to NOT use the computer piece of ****.

hey you

I think this may be Williams' last year. also retiring: Cavazos (fixed), Nicholson (operative), Dale (sadly deceased)

and NO the vital book does not erase when you graduate - we just got instructions on how to update to a permanent registration. however, you never use the dang thing after 3rd year anyways
i could see myself using it to look up random stuff in the future, and the books i'd refer heavily to (about 5-6) I bought the hard copies anyways

the crappy thing about the computers lately is in the clinic: they totally did away with the 5-ply carbon copy encounter forms for this homemade intranet program that documents patient encounters/procedures. its unbelievably clumsy and time consuming. all kinds of legwork required for any deviation from the electronic treatment plan. yes you have to wrap your laptop in saran wrap for infection control. blah.
a cool thing they did in clinic w/computers is that we can check the status of lab cases and manage patient scheduling online

anyways im about to have an ulcer over WREB - its that time of year!