Scared so much for Saturation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

guidancelover36

Reaction score
I am a freshman in college and I have gone through a lot this year. I found the PA profession and loved it (shadowed and everything). My school has a PA school attached to it so it is nice. Now I hear so much about saturation and NPs and how if 6-7 years, this field will become like pharmacy. Should I still do PA, or should I do something like optometry, PT, OT, or perfusion.

Members don't see this ad.

I am a freshman in college and I have gone through a lot this year. I found the PA profession and loved it (shadowed and everything). My school has a PA school attached to it so it is nice. Now I hear so much about saturation and NPs and how if 6-7 years, this field will become like pharmacy. Should I still do PA, or should I do something like optometry, PT, OT, or perfusion.
Go on the PA Reddit this is talked a lot about. Long story short it seems like PA/NP are going to be saturated very soon. People are already having trouble finding jobs, and wages are decreasing.

Reactions: 2 users
Yep. Getting saturated. But NP is a better route overall, because if you have a hard time landing a job, you have RN as a fallback.

Utah passed a bill allowing independent practice for nurse practitioners. PAs got some sort of consolidation prize where they can work without a supervising physician after 10,000 hours working with one in whatever specialty they want to be independent in. So if they want to be in derm, you have to be supervised by a derm doc for 10,000 hours. Then if you want to practice independent in family practice, you just need to go and be supervised for 10,000 more hours in family practice. I think NPs there need to work alongside a mentor NP for 6 months to then be able to practice independently.

But yes.... saturation is here. I know NPs still working bedside as RNs while they wait for Np job opportunities.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just suck it up and go to a 3 yr MD/DO program. By the time all is said and done the time commitment is about the same vs RN to NP or Paramedic/whatever to PA. I have 10 years of post high school education. My attendings have 11. If I had thought this through I would have opted for the medschool route and one extra year of school for infinitely more happiness and respect.

Reactions: 2 users
Just suck it up and go to a 3 yr MD/DO program. By the time all is said and done the time commitment is about the same vs RN to NP or Paramedic/whatever to PA. I have 10 years of post high school education. My attendings have 11. If I had thought this through I would have opted for the medschool route and one extra year of school for infinitely more happiness and respect.
Residency is another 3-7 yrs... Job market in city and nice suburbia is not great for docs right now. Very frustrating!

Reactions: 1 user
Residency is another 3-7 yrs... Job market in city and nice suburbia is not great for docs right now. Very frustrating!
I am aware of the typical MD/DO path of 11 years(minimum) with undergrad, medschool, and residency. I was just saying that in my case the difference was one year after Paramedic school, 2 BS degrees, A masters, 3 post masters certificates, and a doctorate.
I also prefer the rural jobs and have more hours than I want as do all the physicians I work with.
Yes, the job market is tight in major metro areas.

Reactions: 1 users
How many of these 3 year programs are out there now? I think the last I heard of was in Texas. I've seen a few articles over the years questioning the necessity and validity of premed courses, and I think that and the gap year that post-bacc people have is largely one of the least attractive things about medicine and ultimately why I picked nursing-NP as a career changer. I couldn't stop working and worked full-time from start to finish for five years while training up for NP. I realize in med or PA school you can't effectively do that, but for me (and I assume many) the career (occupation v. vocation?) isn't worth putting life on pause.

I'd guess traditionally, the train up is 4 years college then 4 years school then 3+ years residency, but for kids in college who decide late or non-trad students the train up is another 2-3 years on top of that. I can't see why anyone would want to be a physician with that being the case although I understand people's "be the best at what you do....." I still don't see the appeal, but with condensed programs or a couple of years premed followed by med school like the pharmacy chaps were doing makes sense to me.

Maybe it's time to create and NP--->MD/DO primary care (IM/FM/Peds)

A good design would be prereqs sans physics, 2 yrs MD/DO and then 2 yrs residency.

A good design would be prereqs sans physics, 2 yrs MD/DO and then 2 yrs residency

A good design would be prereqs sans physics, 2 yrs MD/DO and then 2 yrs residency.
I was looking at the PA curriculum at the same school I did NP at. There is really no overlap between NP clinically relevant coursework and PA courses so I can't imagine how a NP could make a transition to medical school without starting from scratch.

Reactions: 1 users
Yep. Getting saturated. But NP is a better route overall, because if you have a hard time landing a job, you have RN as a fallback.

Utah passed a bill allowing independent practice for nurse practitioners. PAs got some sort of consolidation prize where they can work without a supervising physician after 10,000 hours working with one in whatever specialty they want to be independent in. So if they want to be in derm, you have to be supervised by a derm doc for 10,000 hours. Then if you want to practice independent in family practice, you just need to go and be supervised for 10,000 more hours in family practice. I think NPs there need to work alongside a mentor NP for 6 months to then be able to practice independently.

But yes.... saturation is here. I know NPs still working bedside as RNs while they wait for Np job opportunities.

It seems that the NPs have a stronger more aggressive lobby than PA's. Why would that be?

National Academy of Medicine (NAM) calls for PAYMENT PARITY for Nurse Practitioners​

AANP Applauds National Academy of Medicine Recommendations for Future of Nursing

Depends on the field. Be careful in your specialty choice and it can be fine. You'll also run into this problem as a NP, since they're tracked, if you pick the wrong field.

How many of these 3 year programs are out there now? I think the last I heard of was in Texas. I've seen a few articles over the years questioning the necessity and validity of premed courses, and I think that and the gap year that post-bacc people have is largely one of the least attractive things about medicine and ultimately why I picked nursing-NP as a career changer. I couldn't stop working and worked full-time from start to finish for five years while training up for NP. I realize in med or PA school you can't effectively do that, but for me (and I assume many) the career (occupation v. vocation?) isn't worth putting life on pause.

I'd guess traditionally, the train up is 4 years college then 4 years school then 3+ years residency, but for kids in college who decide late or non-trad students the train up is another 2-3 years on top of that. I can't see why anyone would want to be a physician with that being the case although I understand people's "be the best at what you do....." I still don't see the appeal, but with condensed programs or a couple of years premed followed by med school like the pharmacy chaps were doing makes sense to me.
You can work during a gap year. Medical school isn't putting your life on hold, nor is residency. Most people I know met their partners and got married in med school or early residency, and many started families. Most of us have met close, lifelong friends. Life will keep moving forward, and people just need to ask themselves: whatever ageyou will finish, be it 30, 32, 35, etc, do you want to be that and a physician or do you want to be that and a nurse or PA. Medical training isn't lost time but it is far more stressful overall. There's also a lot of debt, which some people are averse to. However, the rewards (intellectually, professionally, and financially) are immense and multiplied out over a 30 year career really add up. It isn't for everyone, honestly, but I'm glad I was talked into it when I was thinking of going the PA route

Reactions: 4 users

ICU NP explaining PEEP on Chris Cuomo show. We are losing our jobs to these people.

You can work during a gap year. Medical school isn't putting your life on hold, nor is residency. Most people I know met their partners and got married in med school or early residency, and many started families. Most of us have met close, lifelong friends. Life will keep moving forward, and people just need to ask themselves: whatever ageyou will finish, be it 30, 32, 35, etc, do you want to be that and a physician or do you want to be that and a nurse or PA. Medical training isn't lost time but it is far more stressful overall. There's also a lot of debt, which some people are averse to. However, the rewards (intellectually, professionally, and financially) are immense and multiplied out over a 30 year career really add up. It isn't for everyone, honestly, but I'm glad I was talked into it when I was thinking of going the PA route
I realize nontrads go to med school, but it's a young person's game. It's a journey that would be much easier to accomplish without a family and other stressors of adulthood. If I were a welder or something it could be a life change for me, but I'm already older than the ages you listed, married, kids, etc. I got lucky and have done well enough financially it would take decades to catch up if I took out loans for med school, plus their role isn't one I want. I'm more interested in climbing out of the healthcare hole rather than going back in, lol. I'm looking to work in this capacity for 12 more years before I eject fully. I've worked via telemed platforms for at least six years, but I've learned I have absolutely zero desire to ever go back into a clinic or hospital and am working on some business deals to transition to a permanent remote work setting.

I realize nontrads go to med school, but it's a young person's game. It's a journey that would be much easier to accomplish without a family and other stressors of adulthood. If I were a welder or something it could be a life change for me, but I'm already older than the ages you listed, married, kids, etc. I got lucky and have done well enough financially it would take decades to catch up if I took out loans for med school, plus their role isn't one I want. I'm more interested in climbing out of the healthcare hole rather than going back in, lol. I'm looking to work in this capacity for 12 more years before I eject fully. I've worked via telemed platforms for at least six years, but I've learned I have absolutely zero desire to ever go back into a clinic or hospital and am working on some business deals to transition to a permanent remote work setting.
Yeah if you're in your 40s it's not really worth it unless you have some intrinsic factor to consider and are independently wealthy

A lot of people want the money without all the hardwork, and the pile of student loans, without doing exams every week, without doing board exams, residency, and many more years of school.....
And get paid a lot too.... I dont blame them, its just a way the system is built. One extra year of school is not the right way to compare med school, one extra year of RN school is not exactly one extra year of med school...

A lot of people want the money without all the hardwork, and the pile of student loans, without doing exams every week, without doing board exams, residency, and many more years of school.....
And get paid a lot too.... I dont blame them, its just a way the system is built. One extra year of school is not the right way to compare med school, one extra year of RN school is not exactly one extra year of med school...
Everyone appreciates that, but the advice is pretty prescient. I worked full time, and went to school full time, and became a nurse practitioner. I spent my time the way that I wanted to, and in a way that motivated me. I had the grades to go to med school, or at the very least head to the Caribbean and start there, but I’m satisfied with the outcome, and actually feel like I came out ahead. It was sacrifice in a different way, and led to different limitations on my income and career. No problem on my end. But some folks need to think that through. If it takes someone 11 years to become a PA, they may be better served looking at the big picture to see if the sacrifice to become an MD would be a better use of their time. Incidentally, EMedPA is counting education he took on after he got his PA certification, so he was physician assisting it before a lot of that extra education. Retrospective advice is a healthy thing.