Scary Situation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Oladapo Onasanya

Reaction score
Ugpa:2.5
DIY postbacc gpa: 3.41
Mcat 493

I attend touros masters program and the gpa to matriculate into the touros DO program is 3.45. I found out how to study to late and having been exposed to anatomy at such a high level for the first time I got a C in anatomy( 7 credit course) and Bs in in the rest of my classes for my first semester . Assuming I finish strong and end my smp at touro with 3.38-3.4 what would be my options? What does a 3.3-3.4 look like to medical admissions. I thought I was ready considering my gap years and upward trend but I’ve stumbled once more. Here are some options I was thinking of

-Retake mcat and apply to same masters school as a regular applicant

- retake mcat and go to Caribbean
- not my favorite decision but change to another healthcare profession

Members don't see this ad.

It's clear that you need to retake and crush the MCAT, AND finish your masters program strong to really evaluate where you stand.

Regardless of what happens, Caribbean is not the way. Don't roll the dice.

Reactions: 1 users
Agreed with above. Don't do carribean. I think getting a 507+ on mcat would be good enough to get you into DO school if you finish strong. Possibly the following cycle. Find out if your school does a waitlist. For my SMP program those who didn't go right into the MD program are kept in the pool for the following application cycle. Im currently in classes with students from 2 cycles ago. So see if that's something that could be a saving grace.

I think backup plans are always good to have. Do some soul searching and consider things you are interested in. My buddy did Cardiac perfusion in NY instead of the MD/DO route and he loves his job and his salary.

Reactions: 1 users