Scheduling away rotations

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

monkeyarms

jello wrestler
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have heard in some specialties (ie Ortho) it can be relatively more difficult to get interviews in geographic regions far from your medical school, and therefore you should do aways in parts of the country you'd like to go. Does this hold true for EM, or are interviews offered more liberally for solid applicants?

Members don't see this ad.

I think it is true in EM but probably to a lesser degree than ortho. Think of it like this.. if you get a LOR from someone the PD at a place you want to go to knows that will help.

All that being said I rotated at Orlando and Cook and I got interviews in Cali and in every other part of the country. I applied to a ton of programs but I got interviews at most of them.

If you are a solid candidate then you will get a bunch of interviews but some places might be more picky than others.

EctopicFetus said:
I think it is true in EM but probably to a lesser degree than ortho. Think of it like this.. if you get a LOR from someone the PD at a place you want to go to knows that will help.

All that being said I rotated at Orlando and Cook and I got interviews in Cali and in every other part of the country. I applied to a ton of programs but I got interviews at most of them.

If you are a solid candidate then you will get a bunch of interviews but some places might be more picky than others.

muchas gracias

monkeyarms said:
I have heard in some specialties (ie Ortho) it can be relatively more difficult to get interviews in geographic regions far from your medical school, and therefore you should do aways in parts of the country you'd like to go. Does this hold true for EM, or are interviews offered more liberally for solid applicants?

Based on my personal experience and that of other M4s that I've spoken with, interviews out of region are very attainable for EM, even if you don't do an away nearby. If you can swing an away in the region it will help you decide and demonstrate your seriousness/interest.

My only away was in NYC and I am an east coast guy, but the interviews came along pretty nicely, thankfully.

Of course, if you are serious about a particular program out of region, be sure to explicitly communicate your interest both when you interview and afterward. And be prepared for some to challenge you on this in the interview.

Good luck.