Scheduling conflicts - RPD/committee point of view

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

s_no7

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I had to decline an interview offer from a program that I'm really interested in, because of date/time conflicts with other interviews. Although I like the programs I have confirmed interviews with, I'd say this one was a bit higher on my list of preferences. I was wondering how others approached this situation - I'm still waiting on a few programs that I love, and don't want to have to decline again. My understanding is that you shouldn't ask a program if it can provide another date/time option because it's already been planned out and they have plenty of candidates who don't need accommodations. Also, that you shouldn't ask a program if you can change an interview date that's already been confirmed (makes you seem unprofessional/unreliable) unless it's for an urgent reason like weather issues, etc. RPD/committee members/others, any thoughts/advice would be appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

I had to decline an interview offer from a program that I'm really interested in, because of date/time conflicts with other interviews. Although I like the programs I have confirmed interviews with, I'd say this one was a bit higher on my list of preferences. I was wondering how others approached this situation - I'm still waiting on a few programs that I love, and don't want to have to decline again. My understanding is that you shouldn't ask a program if it can provide another date/time option because it's already been planned out and they have plenty of candidates who don't need accommodations. Also, that you shouldn't ask a program if you can change an interview date that's already been confirmed (makes you seem unprofessional/unreliable) unless it's for an urgent reason like weather issues, etc. RPD/committee members/others, any thoughts/advice would be appreciated!

I've rescheduled a residency interview before. It is reasonable if you explain briefly your conflict. They SHOULD understand you have a lot going on. If they don't, I would personally say that program is probably not one you want. If they are not budging on a first interview KNOWING candidates have multiple options, I think that speaks more to them than to you.

If you have confirmed an interview, I would have RESERVATIONS about rescheduling because then it SEEMS like you are prioritizing another interview over that one no matter what argument you throw in. This is a different situation that a program trying to schedule you in for a date you already had booked from a professionalism standpoint.

I have done both. Feel free to PM me if you want any thoughts about my approach.

Reactions: 1 users
exactly - most places will send out their list of dates and it is first come first serve (we send out top candidates the list of dates first while we are still determining who to extend the other spots to). If you confirmed a date and then ask for a reschedule it better be for a darn good reason (family emergency, etc). IF you even mention it is because you have another interview - you already eliminated yourself from that program's consideration. This isn't because the program "is afraid you like somewhere else better", to each their own, but it is MASSIVELY unprofessional .

Reactions: 1 users