Scheduling Interview during away rotation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

*hopefully*

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm wondering if scheduling your interview for a program during the time that you are there for an away rotation is ok? It's only a short 3 week rotation and is missing a day or two leave a bad impression? I could easily schedule it another time, but this would save me a cross country flight. What do you guys think? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I'm wondering if scheduling your interview for a program during the time that you are there for an away rotation is ok? It's only a short 3 week rotation and is missing a day or two leave a bad impression? I could easily schedule it another time, but this would save me a cross country flight. What do you guys think? Thanks!

I think its not up to you or us, but rather the program.

Some programs will give you a courtesy interview during your away rotation, but others would rather have you attend on the specific days set aside for interviews to see the entire program presentation.

Ask them if they have a policy or practice regarding this.

There is a formal scheduled interview day while I am there.

There is a formal scheduled interview day while I am there.

Most programs will understand, and there is obviously no travel time involved (i.e. you only miss one day). If your away rotation involves call, you might want to be sure that your interview day does not line up with a post call day -- that would suck. If it lines up with an on call day, you can always go back to take call at the end of the interview day.

If you start trying to interview at the competition across the street, well, then.....

I would just ask the program. When I ran into this I asked if it was appropriate, and they said, "yes, of course" we'll interview you during the rotation. I think that will be the most common response.