scheduling interviews during SubI rotations

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wjm

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I was just wondering if there will be consequences for scheduling an interview for IM (say hospital A) during a sub I rotation at a different institution (hospital B)? I heard that it looks really bad if I did that from one of my friends. Is that really true? Thanks!!

Members don't see this ad.

I would advise against scheduling a residency interview during a subI at a different institution. How would you explain the time off? While this should not affect how they think of you, it could rub them the wrong way.

Anyways, at my med school we could not take time off from a SubI. Not for Step exams or even residency interviews.

Last edited:
Alright, thanks for the input. I will schedule any interviews while I am doing sub I rotations.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, I agree with IUSM. Interviewing somewhere else while you're on your away is kind of classless at best, and it could get you on the PD's bad side at worst. Just do the subI earlier in September or October, and you can avoid the problem. Or, if you don't need a letter from that subI, you could still do it in February (or January if you'll be done interviewing by then).

Hmmm...I wouldn't schedule interviews during a Sub-I, but if I absolutely had to, I would try my best to make up that time. Extra call, weekends, stay late and make sure it's known that you made up that time...

G'luck,
A

Unfortunately, my only available slots for SubI's were Nov and Dec, so I will likely be in this situation. Obviously not ideal, but I'm *hoping* the two programs I'm sub-interning at will be somewhat understanding about the realities of how this process works.

Anybody have any other opinions/advice for those of us in this predicament?

Maybe you had a typo, or maybe I am reading it wrong, but try your best to NOT schedule residency interviews during SubI.

good luck!

Sorry thats what I meant. I will NOT schedule interviews during SubI months. In fact, I called and changed my interview that was during a SubI month to another date..

Now what about this? Would it be beneficial if I DID schedule an interview during a SubI month if I was at the SAME institution? Just curious.

I had friends do that. Some requested it, and at others the PD offered to do it at the same time. Completely acceptable.

IUSM, thank you so much for all your advice!

I think people are understanding for the most part... you're trying to look for a job for the next 3 years!

yeahhhh i have away electives scheduled for october and november so i really hope these programs wont murder me for taking a few days off each month. what do you guys think is acceptable? like 3-4 days off a month with offer to make it up on another day?