Scholarship at undergrad vs accelerated program?

aquaelmo

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is it better to go to undergrad with almost a full scholarship, then go to dental school, thus completing school in 8 years, or go to a accelerated program at University of the Pacific that is 6 years, but also very expensive.

Do you think being out two years early will help with eliminating debt.

I think if I went to the normal path it would cost me about 360,000
If i went to the accelerated program it would cost me about 400,000, but I get out 2 years earlier.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

In general I would reccomend doing the cheapest one. It will also allow you to have time to think out your different options and have a better time in undergrad in general and allow you to enjoy yourself while also learning a lot. Two years of your life in the long run really is not a lot; when you're 50 having graduated two years earlier won't seem all that significant.

However, everyone I know who has been to UoP has completely hated it there so maybe I am biased against you going there lol

Members don't see this ad :)
If you're completely sure about going the Dental route, and you have no other professions in mind, you should do the 6 year program. Even if it costs more, you're getting out 2 years earlier, which economically means, you're making 2 more years of salary which will completely offset the price difference so don't think about it money wise. And it saves you a lot of hassle through the years with applications and what not.

But like I said, you have to be completely sure that you want to go Dental, because its a serious commitment. I know I wasn't sure about what I was going to do in high school, so if you are, then this is a good program for you. But if you decide halfway through that you don't want to do Dental anymore, and you hate teeth, then you'll essentially have wasted some time/money.

And further more, it depends on the person, I've had plenty of friends change majors 3 or 4 times throughout undergrad, and not minor changes either.

Is it better to go to undergrad with almost a full scholarship, then go to dental school, thus completing school in 8 years, or go to a accelerated program at University of the Pacific that is 6 years, but also very expensive.

Do you think being out two years early will help with eliminating debt.

I think if I went to the normal path it would cost me about 360,000
If i went to the accelerated program it would cost me about 400,000, but I get out 2 years earlier.

Thanks!

Quicker is better. Also factor in that the applications process for applying to dental schools will cost you some money, and that you might not get in if you get screwed on a bad DAT.