Scholarship for Vet School?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

walnutboi

UMN CVM c/o 2027
Reaction score
Hello!

I’m going to be a first year vet student and I just have some questions about scholarships. I think scholarships for 1st years are very limited (from what I’ve heard), and most scholarships are for 2nd year and up. Where do folks usually look for scholarship, and what kind of scholarship do you guys usually recommend applying for (better chances)? Also, how would you prepare yourself to be a good applicant for the scholarships? (A lot of them requires leaderships and rec letters)

Thank you so much in advance!!

Members don't see this ad.

Yeah, unfortunately, the options for an incoming first year student are very limited.

Your program will send out emails with external scholarship opportunities and also has a pretty extensive internal scholarship program, but they are definitely prioritizing 2nd-4th years with those. I apply for any scholarship I'm eligible for, and while most scholarships are not a lot of money, it does add up if you're persistent.

Reactions: 1 users
Yeah, unfortunately, the options for an incoming first year student are very limited.

Your program will send out emails with external scholarship opportunities and also has a pretty extensive internal scholarship program, but they are definitely prioritizing 2nd-4th years with those. I apply for any scholarship I'm eligible for, and while most scholarships are not a lot of money, it does add up if you're persistent.
Hi Shorty! I think we both are going to UMN (!!) Thank you for the info! I'm not entirely sure how to make myself a better candidate and more appealing (?) to scholarships, and was hoping to get some advices! I know UMN got a bunch of clubs and organizations; do you think joining those clubs (and like SAVMA) as a first year will help with scholarship application? Thank you in advance!!