scholarship opportunites & healthcare

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gsinccom

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

What can you tell me about schoarships available? What schools work hardest, through offering scholarships, to help their students financially besides just helping with their FAFSA paperwork? Do all schools provide decent health insurance options for their students or are some better than others?

thanks...

Members don't see this ad.

Hi,

I know UCB's health insurance (SHIP) is super expensive, like $587/semester!!!!!!!! So I just kept my parent's health insurance instead and hope that I don't get too sick. If I do, perhaps I'll have to fly all the way back to Michigan to get treated :)

Ning-Ju

Ning,

Your from Michigan? Are you going to Opt school at UCB? I was just wondering... why you decided against Ferris for Opt School? I am from Michigan too, and am currently applying to Opt school. Any feedback would be great! Thanks

Members don't see this ad :)
gsinccom said:
Hi everyone,

What can you tell me about schoarships available? What schools work hardest, through offering scholarships, to help their students financially besides just helping with their FAFSA paperwork? Do all schools provide decent health insurance options for their students or are some better than others?

thanks...

I know SCO has some scholarships that you apply for automatically with your application. The school has a really good financial department that helps you with everything and try really hard to help you not borrow more than you need. They have a 0% default on student loans record going for several years and are trying to keep that.
I'm not sure what the school's health insurance options were this year...I know they were better than last year because they were trying to make it more affordable for the students.

sco1styear said:
I know SCO has some scholarships that you apply for automatically with your application. The school has a really good financial department that helps you with everything and try really hard to help you not borrow more than you need. They have a 0% default on student loans record going for several years and are trying to keep that.
I second that. After my interview at SCO, I was quite disappointed at Nova’s and UHCO’s fin aid offices.

Many students at UHCO get their insurance through UH Health Services. It costs about $400/sem and you have to go to their clinic (nicely staffed) for non-emergency consultations.

Hey,

I replied to your question on the other thread. Probably should have sent you a personal message instead. Anyway...there are several reasons I chose UCB over MCO.

1. Location- Although MCO was much closer to my family, it was far far away from anything fun to do! And as I mentioned before, moving further up north would only mean colder weather. The weather in Berkeley is much more moderate and the only thing they get here is rain. Cali is a great place because it has everything I wanted: food (yes, that's important too), national parks, great scenery, and city life. Basically a mixture of everything.

2. Campus- The campus at MCO seemed a little lifeless and cold, with not much going on. I really just couldn't picture myself being there for the next four years of my life. UCB's campus is really pretty, which might cheer you up in times of stress :)

3. School name- Personally, I think Berkeley's a better school than MCO (that's only my opinion though!!!!) I'm not very sure about this, but I think UCB's NEBO passing rate is higher.

4. Diversity- There really was a lack of diversity at MCO. Most of the people there were white. I also noticed this in IU. Of course you can also say there's a lack of diversity in UCB, as 80% of the class is Asian! But I suppose I feel more comfortable around Asians.

Hmm...I think that's about it. Some things I really like about MCO was the small class size (lots of personal attention) and the fact that it was in state and very close to home. I'm currently pay out of state tuition but they said it was pretty easy for grad students to get in state status the following year. Another thing...I think I had the best interview experience at MCO. They were soo nice and non-intimidating, which really helped cause it was my first interview. Whereas during UCB's interview date, they had to inteview 60 people, consequently it seemed quite non-personal.

So which schools are you thinking about applying to? OSU...nothing to do there as well and bad weather. But I did hear that it was a good school. I didn't apply to that school though. I think their tuition is extremely high and I don't know if you can even get in-state status after one year. Good luck applying and do tell me what happens!

Ning-Ju