Other OT-Related Information Scholarships... What's the reality of them?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OTledo

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just graduated in May and I'm looking at my student loan balance. It's not exactly bad, I'm at about 27k. However, this freaks me out because I know OT school will be more expensive than my undergrad and my final balance can be astronomical.

I would like to know if anyone has received scholarships for OT programs, whether it be from the school or a private party, and how much they covered. Is it realistic to get a great scholarship for OT school? Also, any advice on how to nab them?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I know there are scholarships out there, but from what I have seen they are few and far between. I believe many grad schools offer assistantships for which you can receive some money toward your schooling. I have not found any scholarships through the universities themselves but there are outside parties that do offer scholarships. The outside scholarships can range from a couple hundred to a couple thousand dollars... so if you can manage to snag one or more it may put a dent in the finances or at least help you purchase a few text books ;) This is just from what I have found thus far in my research, but I would love to know if anyone else has found anything on the subject!

Reactions: 1 user
I have found some scholarships specifically for OT, however, they tend to be more towards OT students that have finished one year of a program. Some vary depending on whether you want to specialize on anything in the field. There are scholarships but you really need to look for them. There are letters of recommendations and essays that need to be submitted in order to be considered. I am hoping more scholarships become available through AOTA

Reactions: 1 user