Scholarships?!?!?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
J

jkh1886

who knows anything about the scholarships the admissions committee offers? are there any? I'm one of those SDN'ers who have high DAT's and my GPA suffices for all schools except Harvard. But it won't mean a thing to get into Penn, cuz it's so dang expensive! who wants to pay 75-85k for a school?

ps, this is not an issue of loans. I want reduced costs!!!

Members don't see this ad.

jkh1886 said:
who knows anything about the scholarships the admissions committee offers? are there any? I'm one of those SDN'ers who have high DAT's and my GPA suffices for all schools except Harvard. But it won't mean a thing to get into Penn, cuz it's so dang expensive! who wants to pay 75-85k for a school?

Every school offers some form of scholarships, whether they are need based or academic. Usually you qualify for them based on your financial income or based on high GPA/DAT scores. Contact the schools you are applying to for exact numbers on how much scholarships they offer. :luck:

jkh1886 said:

you aren't paying 75-85K for school. budgeted expenses at penn is 75K this year. and about 20K is for your living expenses...which you would've had to pay anyway. effectively, you're only paying 55K for tuition & equipment at penn.

Members don't see this ad :)
r0entgen said:
you aren't paying 75-85K for school. budgeted expenses at penn is 75K this year. and about 20K is for your living expenses...which you would've had to pay anyway. effectively, you're only paying 55K for tuition & equipment at penn.
And since we're not working, we're taking out loans for 75-85K.

But, point being... who gets the scholarships and how much? I know there's another thread on this topic now.

jkh1886 said:
And since we're not working, we're taking out loans for 75-85K.

But, point being... who gets the scholarships and how much? I know there's another thread on this topic now.

but everyone attending private schools is in the same boat. and they still manage. anyway, penn has a dean's scholarship. they offer it to the top students of each class. it accounts for half of your tuition.

but if public costs 15-20k/yr plus costs, and private costs 65-85k, why go to private? There's a reason why privates have been closing down.

jkh1886 said:
but if public costs 15-20k/yr plus costs, and private costs 65-85k, why go to private? There's a reason why privates have been closing down.

Yet, Harvard thrives...amazing.

jkh1886 said:
not everyone's harvard....including northwestern, georgetown, emory, wash u...
:laugh: I'm pretty sure every dental college in the US has a full class every year, those schools likely closed down for reasons not related to high tuition ;)

I'd be pumped to get a 4K/year scholarship. I'm hoping that my stats are good enough to get something.

getting back to the original point of this...

most schools do have scholarships and the best way to find out is to ask the school itself. Also, during the interviews, almost every school will give you financial aid and scholarship presentations so you learn about what they have at that school available for you. There are some schools that have scholarships but will not tell you about whether or not you have recieved a scholarship to their school until AFTER you have accepted and paid the $ to reserve your seat at the school...a bit messed up, but it happens.