Scholl Fellowship for Students not matching in Residency Placement

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Pedes_Primus2018

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm hoping someone can share some more information about this. I'm hoping to start DPM school in the fall, and would like to go to either Scholl or DMU. Scholl would be my first choice for a number of factors, namely family and location, plus potential for residency sites, but I am hesitant to even start with Pod. school at all, namely because of residency shortages across the country. I heard from a friend who is a second-year student that they offer some sort of Fellowship program for unmatched students. It is set so that you can obtain a Master's degree free of charge and secure a stipend as well for living expenses.

Does anyone know if this is legit? And if so, what would be the incentive to utilize this as an option (vs. a Preceptorship or other internship-like experience to help for a better match)?

What is the dollar amount that is offered by Scholl to theses students? (Are there currently any unmatched Scholl grads going through this program currently that could shed more light on your experiences)?

I'm hesitant again because I consider myself to be a borderline student:

3.34 cGPA
3.26 sGPA
24 MCAT (after three tries...this is the highest of the 3 attempts)

Any help or further clarification would be greatly appreciated!!

Members don't see this ad.

Students who aren't matched can apply for preceptorships where they get paid but not every unmatched student receives one.

Not a "Fellowship." Fellowships are additional training after residency.

Members don't see this ad :)
That's what I thought. I wasn't sure if this was geared more towards an internship or preceptorship, but the potential allure of a PAID Master's and/or living stipend was what may make the potential sting of not matching a bit more bearable.

I'm sorry, but this wouldn't make it any more bearable. Keep you in contact with your professors, motivated, busy, focused - probably and all good things. Taking the sting out of not matching? Not even close. You either have a residency or you don't. No amount of masters can make up for not having a residency. There's no salve for that wound. Picking Scholl because you think they are an excellent program or they are close to friends and family - all good ideas. Picking Scholl because they offer you an umbrella when you need a parachute - not a good reason. If the stories of some schools abandoning their unmatched graduate are true then Scholl deserves some praise, but this shouldn't be a motivator.

I wouldn't discourage you from really evaluating yourself as a candidate - and I don't mean for matriculation - I mean for the long road of "ifs" in front of you. Most people will do fine, eventually, but this path leaves a lot of bodies on the side of the road and to dismiss it with "I won't be one of them" probably isn't enough. There is a very real attrition rate and it is even larger than the number of unmatched graduates from last year. That sort of information is hard (impossible) to find.

I'm sorry, but this wouldn't make it any more bearable. Keep you in contact with your professors, motivated, busy, focused - probably and all good things. Taking the sting out of not matching? Not even close. You either have a residency or you don't. No amount of masters can make up for not having a residency. There's no salve for that wound. Picking Scholl because you think they are an excellent program or they are close to friends and family - all good ideas. Picking Scholl because they offer you an umbrella when you need a parachute - not a good reason. If the stories of some schools abandoning their unmatched graduate are true then Scholl deserves some praise, but this shouldn't be a motivator.

I wouldn't discourage you from really evaluating yourself as a candidate - and I don't mean for matriculation - I mean for the long road of "ifs" in front of you. Most people will do fine, eventually, but this path leaves a lot of bodies on the side of the road and to dismiss it with "I won't be one of them" probably isn't enough. There is a very real attrition rate and it is even larger than the number of unmatched graduates from last year. That sort of information is hard (impossible) to find.

What would you say the attrition is at DMU? How many people start and out of that many people how many people are left after fourth year?

I agree. In fact, I asked a student at kent and her class number is now at 78 compared to the original 100 because a bunch of students failed out/left.