School list 3.74c 3.65s 515 MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sdac

Reaction score
Hi guys would really appreciate feedback regarding my chances at some of these schools. Thank you in advance!

cGPA and sGPA as calculated by AMCAS
- cGPA 3.74 and sGPA 3.65
Unsure if i have an upward trend so I’ll post GPA each semester
Fall 2018 : 3.47
Spring 2019 : 3.88
Fall 2019 : 3.278 (started working here)
Spring 2020 : 3.529
Summer 2020: 3.429
Fall 2020 : 4.0
Spring 2021 : 3.92
Fall 2021 : 4.0
Spring 2022 : 4.0
MCAT score(s) and breakdown
- 515 (130/126/131/128)
WARS
State of residence or country of citizenship (if non-US)
- New Jersey
Ethnicity and/or race
- Asian Male (Vietnamese)
Undergraduate institution or category
- State school
Clinical experience (volunteer and non-volunteer)
- 2700 hours ER Tech at a Level 1 Trauma Center
- 133 hours ER volunteer (1 summer)
Research experience and productivity
- 1800 hours nanotechnology lab creating nanoparticles (no current pubs, but will have manuscript submitted within next 2 months so possible publication for an update letter. 1 conference presentation)
Shadowing experience and specialties represented
-32 hours family medicine
24 hours Emergency medicine
Non-clinical volunteering
- 120 hours food kitchen for food insecure individuals
- 120 hours tutoring grade 4-7
- 90 hours tutoring grades 4-7 for kids in poverty
Leadership
-250 hours president of biotechnology organization (completely revamped the organization and connected multiple students to internships in biotech companies. Also created a mentorship program between students and alumni)
- 300 hours as co-founder of organization that collected over $8,000 in charity money for those in poverty
-200 hours as VP of organization overseeing all on campus students (18,000 students). Few impacts we did was installing water fountains in every dorm and lights on unsafe areas on campus
-50 hours peer mentor for honors program students
Paid Employment Non medical
-114 hours as chemistry lab assistant on a bioinformatics project (not sure to include this as research given all I did was look at journal publications to identify relevant ones for the PI. This was via federal work study)
-264 hours warehouse associate for Amazon
Hobbies
Putting 7,000 hours brazilian jiu jitsu (started young and continued to practice. Related this to me being SES disadvantaged since parents had to work 80 hours a week and I had to find guidance elsewhere and it shaped me as a person)
Anything else not listed you think might be important
-LOR from 2 science professors (1 is PI that taught me in a classroom course, other from my major department), 1 non science, 1 from advisor for the on campus organization mentioned earlier, 1 from nurse manager from ED job, 1 from physician from ED job
- Applying SES disadvantaged
-Mainly interested in primary care
- 1 C, 1 C+, 1 W on transcript
- Have FAP so 20 schools are free. Would appreciate it if we could cut down my school list to this number!
School list
Albany
Rosalind Franklin
Drexel
Eastern Virginia
Quinnipiac
George Washington
Georgetown
Seton hall
Temple
Loyola
NYMC
UVermont
Rush
RWJMS
TCU
Toledo
Tulane
Uwashington
VTech
Wake first
NJMS
Cooper
Tufts
Brown
Dartmouth
Emory
Virginia commonwealth
Nova MD
Miami
Einstein
Penn State
Jefferson
Case
Kaiser
UCF
USF
Rowan DO

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Remove Washington, Toledo, Rush, Brown, Kaiser, Loyola, Case, UCF, TCU, Emory. That’s 26 MD left. Virginia Tech has a small class size with preference for VA residents or those in the bordering areas, so perhaps remove them. Wake, Georgetown, Rosalind Franklin, Tulane and George Washington receive a very high number of applications, so those might be worth removing too. Albany, NYMC and Drexel are like that too, but being a NJ resident might be more significant to them vs other OOS students.

I suggest these schools from your list:
Albany
Rosalind Franklin
Drexel
Eastern Virginia
Quinnipiac
George Washington
Georgetown
Seton hall
Temple
Loyola
NYMC
UVermont
Rush
RWJMS
TCU
Tulane
Wake first
NJMS
Cooper
Tufts
Dartmouth
Virginia commonwealth
Nova MD
Miami
Einstein
Penn State
Jefferson
Kaiser
UCF
USF
Rowan DO

Members don't see this ad :)
I appreciate both of your responses! Do you also think I should apply to more DO schools other than my state school (Rowan)? Also, do you think with my GPA semester by semester that I should apply as if I had a slightly higher GPA considering my last 4 semesters were almost all 4.0s? I am concerned that my GPA is a little low for schools like UCF where I am above the MCAT median threshold, but I am a solid 1-2 tenths of a decimal point below the GPA median.

Yes the upward trend over the last 2 years helps (it goes by years, not semesters usually). The school lists provided are appropriate. No need to apply for DO, but Rowan is one of the best and in your state, so it is worth sending an app there.

I apologize for reviving this thread. I thought about it and I decided that I also wanted to apply to maybe 3 or a few more reach schools. Do you think I have a chance at any of these schools?

UVA
Mayo (I think I decently fit the mission and im at the 25th percentile for stats)
Sinai
Boston
Duke
Pitt
Keck
Hofstra
UCLA (last class was 61% SES disadvantaged)
Thank you guys once again!