School List? (3.9+/523)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

overnightoats4ever

Reaction score
Hey y'all! I wanted some help with a potential school list as I have no clue where to start for next cycle. I really really want to ED to Feinberg but I am on the edge, as many have said it's a big risk. I appreciate you so much for even taking the time to read this!

I am a Biomedical Engineering Major! TX Resident
GPA: 3.93
MCAT: 523

ECS REMOVED FOR PRIVACY

Overall, I am lucky to have experiences I enjoyed and love to talk about, but as a student who is quite clueless on all the details of applying, I would 100% appreciate help with a school list and consideration of whether I should be able to reach out to Feinberg for ED.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hey y'all! I wanted some help with a potential school list as I have no clue where to start for next cycle. I really really want to ED to Feinberg but I am on the edge, as many have said it's a big risk. I appreciate you so much for even taking the time to read this!

I am a Biomedical Engineering Major! TX Resident
GPA: 3.93
MCAT: 523
Research: 1800+
hours in one lab since my freshman year. At least one poster. One publication.
Clinical Experience: 1500+ hours as a medical technician involving patient intake/triage. I want to note that out of luck my clinical experience and research are very intertwined and I believe I can talk about them meaningfully in development of my potential of doing research and practice. I also have 40 hours of ER volunteer work.
Non-Clinical Volunteering: I work with seniors in person and also do food bank volunteering, I'm at 100 right now but I am hoping to have at least 200 by the time I apply by working on this category my winter break. I have a meaningful 10 hour project with children in my community, and I made a children's book from this experience (would this be weird to bring to an interview?...)
Shadowing: 40 hours shadowing primary care at a native health community hospital.
Work Experience: My freshman year I worked 400 hours as the team trainer at a grocery store.
Leadership: 3 semesters as a TA in engineering, 1 semester as a TA in organic chemistry, I am in an executive role for an organization on campus and am in the process of setting up a university-wide event.

Overall, I am lucky to have experiences I enjoyed and love to talk about, but as a student who is quite clueless on all the details of applying, I would 100% appreciate help with a school list and consideration of whether I should be able to reach out to Feinberg for ED.
If you didn't already realize it, you are in GREAT shape with those stats and your ECs. You would be competitive anywhere, but the tippy top schools are such a crapshoot that you can't limit yourself to them and count on success. There is a tool that I am a big fan of, which I will link below, that will help you develop a list.

Finally, for most people, ED is a terrible idea, both because it limits your choices to one school, destroys your opportunities to receive competing merit scholarship offers, and it forces you to wait until October to apply anywhere else if you aren't accepted, which is a significant disadvantage when thousands of other people with profiles similar to yours will be interviewing by then. If you haven't already, buy yourself a subscription to the AAMC MSAR. It will be the best money you spend with respect to be being able to research ALL the schools, including giving you access to profiles, stats, etc. Good luck!! :cool:

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I suggest:

NYU
Columbia
WashU
Vanderbilt
Yale
JHU
U Chicago
U Penn
Northwestern
Harvard
Mayo
Cornell
Stanford
Case
Duke
Sinai
U VA
BU
Baylor
UCSF
Pitt
USC/Keck
UCSD
UCLA
U MI
Rochester
Hofstra
Ohio State
U Cincy
UTSW
Dartmouth
Western MI
USF Morsani
SUNY-SB
U MA
U IA
Albert Einstein
Emory
Tufts
NYU-LI
Jefferson
Miami
SLU
U WI
U CO
U VM
Your state school

Members don't see this ad :)
Please report back on how you do.

As a super high stats TX resident, you should be able to get offers from T20 out of state medical schools, despite the perception that TX residents will stay instate due to lower tuition.

Any reason why you are focused on Feinberg?

Reactions: 1 users
I suggest:

NYU
Columbia
WashU
Vanderbilt
Yale
JHU
U Chicago
U Penn
Northwestern
Harvard
Mayo
Cornell
Stanford
Case
Duke
Sinai
U VA
BU
Baylor
UCSF
Pitt
USC/Keck
UCSD
UCLA
U MI
Rochester
Hofstra
Ohio State
U Cincy
UTSW
Dartmouth
Western MI
USF Morsani
SUNY-SB
U MA
U IA
Albert Einstein
Emory
Tufts
NYU-LI
Jefferson
Miami
SLU
U WI
U CO
U VM
Your state school
this list looks long and also why schools like SLU with those stats and ECs?

Yeah, I disagree with this list for a TX resident. I would only apply within TX and then OOS schools you would realistically select over the top TX schools, like Feinberg for example. No need to apply to schools like SLU or Cincinnati.

Reactions: 2 users
If I'm not mistaken, when the adcoms give lists they are not meant to be used as-is. They are meant to be a starting point from which the poster does further research and culls the list down. As I said, I preferred curating my own list using the WARS tool and MSAR, but, to each his or her own! :cool:

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
If you didn't already realize it, you are in GREAT shape with those stats and your ECs. You would be competitive anywhere, but the tippy top schools are such a crapshoot that you can't limit yourself to them and count on success. There is a tool that I am a big fan of, which I will link below, that will help you develop a list.

Finally, for most people, ED is a terrible idea, both because it limits your choices to one school, destroys your opportunities to receive competing merit scholarship offers, and it forces you to wait until October to apply anywhere else if you aren't accepted, which is a significant disadvantage when thousands of other people with profiles similar to your will be interviewing by then. If you haven't already, buy yourself a subscription to the AAMC MSAR. It will be the best money you spend with respect to be being able to research ALL the schools, including giving you access to profiles, stats, etc. Good luck!! :cool:

Thank you so much for your thoughtful response! This is a great resource I will use in building my school list

Please report back on how you do.

As a super high stats TX resident, you should be able to get offers from T20 out of state medical schools, despite the perception that TX residents will stay instate due to lower tuition.

Any reason why you are focused on Feinberg?
I will for sure! I was born in Chicago and partially grew up there, so location wise I would love to go back. I also like the emphasis on the combination of clinical interaction and research that Feinberg places on its matriculants. I know for sure I would have the chance to build on my research. In addition, the community interaction and culture there seems amazing!

If I'm not mistaken, when the adcoms give lists they are not meant to be used as-is. They are meant to be a starting point from which the poster does further research and culls the list down. As I said, I preferred curating my own list using the WARS tool and MSAR, but, to each his or her own! :cool:
I thought you have to take the list as-is since it's coming from adcoms not from premed commentators (sarcasm intended). On serious note I am concerned about some of the schools in the list may do yield protection given OP's high stats and strong ECs.

Last edited:
  • Haha
TMDSAS (+/- RGV, El Paso based on if you would go)
T20s you'd realistically take over Baylor, UTSW, or McGovern. Consider if you'd pay $40K/yr more to leave Texas.

I was strong stat Texan, used that, and applied to ~ 13 out of the 20. If I reapplied, I'd stick to the same strategy.
Ooo awesome, thanks so much!

if you ED to feinberg i think you'd have a great shot, considering a lot of people with similar stats are aiming for T5s or something

if you ED to feinberg i think you'd have a great shot, considering a lot of people with similar stats are aiming for T5s or something
Based on what? Who do you know who applied ED to Feinberg (or anywhere)? What were their stats, and what were their results?

In any event, what's the value of a single great shot when, based on superlative stats, an overall excellent application, and the ability to be IS in TX, OP could have multiple great shots, at better schools, with possible scholarships? If you don't have demonstrated financial need, applying ED basically takes you out of the running for scholarships since there is no competition for you. ED is for someone who is tied to a particular area, and not typically someone with such high stats.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I thought you have to take the list as-is since it's coming from adcoms not from premed commentators (sarcasm intended). On serious note I am concerned about some of the schools in the list may do yield protection given OP's high stats and strong ECs.
That's why you start with the list and take it from there! If for any reason a school doesn't work for you, you don't have to apply. :cool: Don't all high stat, excellent applicants risk being yield protected out by not simply applying to top schools and their state schools?

Based on what? Who do you know who EDed to Feinberg (or anywhere)? What were their stats, and what were their results? In any event, what's the value of a single great shot when, based on superlative stats, an overall excellent application, and the ability to be IS in TX, OP could have multiple great shots, at better schools, with possible scholarships?
I agree. Unless there is a compelling reason to ED to Feinberg, there is no reason to ED to that school over UTSW or Baylor or miss other T20 schools.

Don't all high stat, excellent applicants risk being yield protected out by not simply applying to top schools and their state schools?
I never get these double negatives :) Again why would lot of schools in that list think realistically that a high stat, strong ECs TX candidate will come to their school and send an II?

I am looking at MSAR right now and I actually don't know if I would be able to apply for many schools because I took AP credit for gen chem and did cc physics online (although I have taken much more advanced physics). Am I screwed?

I am looking at MSAR right now and I actually don't know if I would be able to apply for many schools because I took AP credit for gen chem and did cc physics online (although I have taken much more advanced physics). Am I screwed?
Absolutely not. What year are you in? Almost all schools will allow you to substitute advanced courses for prereqs. If in doubt, call the school. You can always pick up any required class, either in UG or as a post-bacc. With your profile, you will definitely not be unable to apply to any schools!

Absolutely not. What year are you in? Almost all schools will allow you to substitute advanced courses for prereqs. If in doubt, call the school. You can always pick up any required class, either in UG or as a post-bacc. With your profile, you will definitely not be unable to apply to any schools!
I am a junior! I have taken two semesters of organic chemistry + lab and biochemistry. I am currently in a biochemical engineering course as well. My bio credits should be fine.

Looks at MSAR closely. Which schools do you think won't accept AP credit?

I am a junior! I have taken two semesters of organic chemistry + lab and biochemistry. I am currently in a biochemical engineering course as well. My bio credits should be fine.
Call the schools. I did not take the AP chem exam for this very reason. You might need to take more upper level chem, or even retake intro chem, depending on the school and how receptive they are to waivers, whether they require both semesters of orgo in addition to biochem, etc. There is no general rule, but you have a year to fix anything that might need fixing. The cc physics should be okay, due to the pandemic, as well as what the rest of your stats look like.

Call the schools. I did not take the AP chem exam for this very reason. You might need to take more upper level chem, or even retake intro chem, depending on the school and how receptive they are to waivers, whether they require both semesters of orgo in addition to biochem, etc. There is no general rule, but you have a year to fix anything that might need fixing. The cc physics should be okay, due to the pandemic, as well as what the rest of your stats look like.
Thank you so much! I took the online physics lab in CC my Freshman year though. :( Ok! That's good to hear. Thanks for all your help again, navigating this process is so difficult.

Yale, Columbia, Harvard, to name a few. I might be not looking closely enough.
Both Yale and Columbia doesn't talk about general chemistry but says 2 semesters of inorganic chemistry. So besides biochem and organic chem you need to take additional chem classes.

Thank you so much! I took the online physics lab in CC my Freshman year though. :( Ok! That's good to hear. Thanks for all your help again, navigating this process is so difficult.
My pleasure! The CC class was only one, and, since COVID, schools have been okay with online, and CC were always accepted, although not preferred. Since it's only one class and you've done well on everything else, it won't hurt you. Even though the online class wasn't during COVID, again, it's only one and they are accepting them now, so it once again will be not preferred but not fatal given the rest of your record. You just need to make sure that you are okay with the chem, or, if not, what you need to do to fix it prior to matriculation.

Some schools don't show AP credits if you take equivalent classes in college.
Yeah, well mine doesn't allow you to waive the credit if the score report shows a passing grade. I took bio and physics, but had a heads-up that chem would be an issue, so I didn't take the exam. My transcript would have shown it as a retake, and, since I wasn't going to use the credit anyway, there was no reason to take the test.

Last edited:
My pleasure! The CC class was only one, and, since COVID, schools have been okay with online, and CC were always accepted, although not preferred. Since it's only one class and you've done well on everything else, it won't hurt you. Even though the online class wasn't during COVID, again, it's only one and they are accepting them now, so it once again will be not preferred but not fatal given the rest of your record. You just need to make sure that you are okay with the chem, or, if not, what you need to do to fix it prior to matriculation.
I believe I will be able to take an additional inorganic chem elective. Hopefully one extra semester should suffice for most places, along with my two semesters of biochem!

Yeah, well mine doesn't allow you to waive the credit if the score report shows a passing grade. I took bio and physics, but had a heads-up that chem would be an issue, so I didn't take the exam. My transcript would have shown it as a retake, and, since I wasn't going to sue the credit anyway, there was no reason to take the test.

How did you figure this out in high school ? Were you full time on SDN during high school too ? :);)

That was a smart move.

• Haha
How did you figure this out in high school ? Were you full time on SDN during high school too ? :);)

That was a smart move.
No, I asked during a premed session at an admitted student day at two different UGs. I didn't stumble onto SDN until last year. My Internet go-to before that was College Confidential, which is actually more parents than students, and is absolutely filled with misinformation! :cool:

• Haha
No, I asked during a premed session at an admitted student day at two different UGs. I didn't stumble onto SDN until last year. My Internet go-to before that was College Confidential, which is actually more parents than students, and is absolutely filled with misinformation! :cool:
I was expecting you to say that your start following SDN from middle school :cool:

• Haha
I was expecting you to say that your start following SDN from middle school :cool:
I would have had I known about it! :cool: Actually, had I been plugged in earlier, I would have seriously considered BS/MD, at least the ones that allow you to apply out without giving up your seat!!!

Actually, had I been plugged in earlier, I would have seriously considered BS/MD, at least the ones that allow you to apply out without giving up your seat!!!
SDNer don't talk about BSMD that much. I thought you were active on CC and hated BSMD threads. Also you would have paid full-tuition at those private schools?

SDNer don't talk about BSMD that much. I thought you were active on CC and hated BSMD threads. Also you would have paid full-tuition at those private schools?
When I said plugged in earlier, I meant much earlier!!! I wasn't focused on any of this stuff until the summer before senior year in HS. Too late to do anything about BS/MD. Would I have paid full price? That would have depended on my parents, but, at the right school with the right opportunity (Northwestern :)), I assume so, since they certainly would have paid for Harvard or Princeton. :cool:

Yes, I not only hate CC BS/MD threads, I hate all parent dominated threads there, which is just about all of them. That doesn't mean I don't wish I knew more about BS/MD as a premed option as I was working my way through HS.

Yes, I not only hate CC BS/MD threads, I hate all parent dominated threads there, which is just about all of them. That doesn't mean I don't wish I knew more about BS/MD as a premed option as I was working my way through HS.
No point in hating, you can filter and find the info you needed. Despite all the theatrics, some of us (parents) do provide useful info :) Remember there are no adcoms to guide on CC.

Last edited:
No point in hating, you can filter and find the info you needed. Despite all the theatrics, some of us (parents) do provide useful info :) Remember there are no adcoms to guide on CC.
Sounds great, but when you are just starting out and don't know anything, it's very difficult to know what to filter and what to listen to. Now that I am somewhat more knowledgeable, it's very hit or miss with regard to the value of parental information and opinion. Much more so than from actual participants. In general, the parents on these forums tend to be way less knowledgeable, and way more arrogant and inflexible than they will ever realize. :cool: Of course, there are exceptions to this general observation (here's looking at you, helicopter man :)), but they are more rare than you will acknowledge, and, again, it's impossible to separate the good from the bad when you are starting out.

In my experience, parents who have nothing better to do than to actively participate in forums designed for COLLEGE, STUDENTS, DOCTORS, etc., when they are none of the above, simply have way too much time on their hands, are trying to live through their kids, are such control freaks that they cannot bear to allow their kids to make their own mistakes and to learn and grow from them, etc. In general, I really don't think I have a lot to learn from people like that, and I guess I'm pretty lucky that my parents allow me to do my own thing and learn as I go.

In my experience, parents who have nothing better to do than to actively participate in forums designed for COLLEGE, STUDENTS, DOCTORS, etc., when they are none of the above, simply have way too much time on their hands, are trying to live through their kids, are such control freaks that they cannot bear to allow their kids to make their own mistakes and to learn and grow from them, etc. In general, I really don't think I have a lot to learn from people like that, and I guess I'm pretty lucky that my parents allow me to do my own thing and learn as I go.
where did you get the experience to judge the parents? You don't know any of these parents personally? Learning from own mistakes is overrated. You can learn from parents mistakes (like being focused on studies and ECs than wasting time on things like SDN) . As per time, lot of people have free time but they chose to use it differently. For example, I find its more entertaining to engage with you than watch TV :) Lately I am noticing that you are finding some of the adcoms advice is also not that great.