School list 32 mcat 3.7 gpa 3.55 bcpm??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gnsxxx

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I applied to MD schools last year and didn't get a single interview so I am planning a reapplication this coming cycle. I would like advice on schools to apply to. What I should add, remove, etc. THANKS :)

My Stats: 32 MCAT, 3.7 cumulative GPA, 3.55 science GPA, Ohio Resident

I'd say my ec's are about average. I have some research, hospital volunteering, non hospital volunteering, shadowing, artistic endevours, etc.

Here are my preliminary school lists. I have an MD & a DO list, i'm more worried about MD though:
1. Ohio State (OH)
2. Case Western
3. Toledo
4. Northeast Ohio
5. Cincinnati
6. Wright State
7. Vanderbilt (TN)
8. Indiana (IN)
9. Albany (NY)
10. Yeshiva Einstein
11. NY medical college
12. Rochester
13. Drexel (PA)
14. Penn State
15. commonwealth
16. Temple-short
17. MC Wisconsin (WI)
18. St. Louis (MO)
19. Creighton (NE)
20. UCLA (CA)
21. Virginia CW (VA)
22. Tufts (MA)
23. Boston
24. Florida International (FL)
25. Iowa (IA)

1. CCOM/MWU Chicago college
2. NSU-COM Nova
3. MSUCOM Michigan St
4. OU-HCOM Ohio U
5. PCOM Philadelphia
6. UNTHSC/TCOM fort worth tx
7. VCOM Virginia Tech
8. UCOMP Pomona
9. MU COM indianapolis

Members don't see this ad.

Hi everyone,

I applied to MD schools last year and didn't get a single interview so I am planning a reapplication this coming cycle. I would like advice on schools to apply to. What I should add, remove, etc. THANKS :)

I'd say my ec's are about average. I have some research, hospital volunteering, non hospital volunteering, shadowing, artistic endevours, etc.

Here are my preliminary school lists. I have an MD & a DO list, i'm more worried about MD though:
1. Ohio State (OH)
2. Case Western
3. Toledo
4. Northeast Ohio
5. Cincinnati
6. Wright State
7. Vanderbilt (TN)
8. Indiana (IN)
9. Albany (NY)
10. Yeshiva Einstein
11. NY medical college
12. Rochester
13. Drexel (PA)
14. Penn State
15. commonwealth
16. Temple-short
17. MC Wisconsin (WI)
18. St. Louis (MO)
19. Creighton (NE)
20. UCLA (CA)
21. Virginia CW (VA)
22. Tufts (MA)
23. Boston
25. Iowa (IA)

2. NSU-COM Nova
3. MSUCOM Michigan St
4. OU-HCOM Ohio U
5. PCOM Philadelphia
7. VCOM Virginia Tech
8. UCOMP Pomona
9. MU COM indianapolis

I'd take out UCLA, Case, Rochester and Vandy and replace them with Rush, Loyola, Jefferson and USC.

I applied as an Illinois resident this cycle and got rejected from Rush, Loyola, & USC pre interview. Would you still recommend me reapplying to those over what I have listed?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi everyone,

I applied to MD schools last year and didn't get a single interview
so I am planning a reapplication this coming cycle. I would like advice on schools to apply to. What I should add, remove, etc. THANKS :)

1. Ohio State (OH)
2. Case Western
3. Toledo
4. Northeast Ohio
5. Cincinnati
6. Wright State
7. Vanderbilt (TN)
8. Indiana (IN)
9. Albany (NY)
10. Yeshiva Einstein
11. NY medical college
12. Rochester
13. Drexel (PA)
14. Penn State
15. commonwealth
16. Temple-short
17. MC Wisconsin (WI)
18. St. Louis (MO)
19. Creighton (NE)
20. UCLA (CA)
21. Virginia CW (VA)
22. Tufts (MA)
23. Boston
25. Iowa (IA)

2. NSU-COM Nova
3. MSUCOM Michigan St
4. OU-HCOM Ohio U
5. PCOM Philadelphia
7. VCOM Virginia Tech
8. UCOMP Pomona
9. MU COM indianapolis

It's strange that you did not get any interviews with these stats... There must be something else wrong with your application for you not to receive a single interview with these stats... I have a friend who was rejected from a school, he reapply again to the same school. They told him flat out he should not submit again the letter of recommendation he got from a physics professor because that what got him rejected the first time. TRUE STORY.

Last edited:
yeah I figure something must have been off, i'm very confused myself as to way things turned out the way they did. I will be getting more conservative letters of rec this year just in case and writing more solid essays.

How have you improved you app from last cycle to this one? (Other than the rec letters/essays)

In all honestly, not a ton will be different
-will finish degree
-3.8 GPA expected this year
-new ec activity
-will be working a full time job this year with my degree
-a little more volunteering

In all honestly, not a ton will be different
-will finish degree
-3.8 GPA expected this year
-new ec activity
-will be working a full time job this year with my degree
-a little more volunteering
I think you will have have the same outcome this year with UCLA that you had last year with USC. Sorry.

thanks for the suggestions, anything else or does the list look good?

thanks for the suggestions, anything else or does the list look good?

Could you please in detail share what your ECs are? Average to one person could be completely different to another.

Also isn't Indiana have a really big IS preference?? Look at some private schools with nice OOS rates and replace those with some of the lower OOS ones

Indiana and Vandi both dont require a secondary unless they interview i believe. that is why i have them listed as it isn't a big time commitment. And yeah, ive tried to find schools with the highest oos rates via MSAR.

I dont want to go too in detail with ec's but here is more of a summary: several various volunteering positions with my university hospital for 3-6 months each, another volunteering position at another hospital that I am about to begin. Research at the same hospital where i volunteered for half a year. 20 page research paper related to my major, not medicine. fraternity involvement, shadowings, am an artist, tutoring

Which schools did you apply to last year and when? That will help with the list this year.

Boston University School of Medicine Regular M.D. No
Drexel University College of Medicine Regular M.D. No
Georgetown University School of Medicine Regular M.D. No
Indiana University School of Medicine Regular M.D. No
Keck Sch. of Med.University of Southern California Regular M.D. No
Loyola University Chicago Stritch School of Medici Regular M.D. No
Mount Sinai School of Medicine Regular M.D. No
New York University Regular M.D. No
Northwestern University Feinberg School of Medicin Regular M.D. No
Rush Medical College Regular M.D. No
SUNY at Buffalo Medical School Regular M.D. No
Saint Louis University School of Medicine Regular M.D. No
The Ohio State Univ. Coll. of Med. Regular M.D.
The University of Miami School of Medicine Regular M.D. No
Tufts University School of Medicine Regular M.D. No
University of Cincinnati College of Medicine Regular M.D. No
University of Colorado School of Medicine Regular M.D. No
University of Illinois at Chicago-College of Medic Regular M.D. No
University of Iowa, Carver College of Medicine Regular M.D. No
University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine Regular M.D. No
University of Wisconsin Regular M.D. No
Vanderbilt University School of Medicine Regular M.D. No
Weill Medical College of Cornell University Regular M.D.

and around midaugust for most of them

1. Ohio State (OH)
2. Case Western
3. Toledo
4. Northeast Ohio
5. Cincinnati
6. Wright State
7. Vanderbilt (TN)
8. Indiana (IN)
9. Albany (NY)
10. Yeshiva Einstein
11. NY medical college
12. Rochester
13. Drexel (PA)
14. Penn State
15. commonwealth - wants physicians who will work in the area
16. Temple-short
17. MC Wisconsin (WI)
18. St. Louis (MO)
19. Creighton (NE)
20. UCLA (CA) - not that OOS friendly
21. Virginia CW (VA)
22. Tufts (MA)
23. Boston
25. Iowa (IA)

Also consider Rosalind Franklin, VCU, Jefferson, OWUB, UVM, and maybe the SUNYs (upstate, downstate, stony brook). I don't know if it's worth reapplying to Boston, Drexel, Indiana, St. Louis, Tufts, Iowa, or Vanderbilt. Can't comment on the DO schools.

For DO Marian is a good choice. First batch admitted this year close to home and the first batch in the school specific thread are raving about this school.

Your list looks pretty good to me with some exceptions. I'll echo everyone else here and say UCLA probably isn't worth it, and I'm not sure how OOS friend Iowa and Indiana are either. Also Drexel, NYMC, Boston, Tufts all get a ton of applications every year relative to other schools and there's really no predicting with them if you'll get an interview or not so keep that in mind. Also what is Virginia CW? If its UVA its probably a reach, the other 3 VA schools are worth applying to IMO. I have pretty similar stats as you so feel free to look at my mdapps for other OOS school ideas. If you are applying as an Ohio resident this year I think you'll get some love from those state schools, baring any red flags.

Its weird that you had 0 interviews last year with that other list, is there anything else you can think of that hurt your application? Bad personal statement or EC writeup? Regardless I would recommend re-writing you PS and EC's and get feedback from others as it could have been an issue.

For DO schools, I would not apply to MSUCOM as there OOS tuition is absolutely absurd (close to 80k). I interviewed at CCOM and NSU and liked them both a lot FWIW. VCOM and several other schools require an LOR written by a DO, I don't know if you have one but I didn't and couldn't apply to VCOM for that reason. The LOR requirements can be found in the DO college information book if you need it.

and around midaugust for most of them

I view this as somewhat late... I've once read on here that 75% of primaries are in by the end of July. If that is true, applying after that puts you at a pretty big disadvantage. Have your primary sent in at the beginning of June this time around, if you can.