School List Advice, Low MCAT, Solid GPA, Reapplicant

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hartmann27

Reaction score
NY Resident
Reapplicant (entering 2nd gap year)
506 MCAT
3.81 cGPA 3.75 sGPA
Rural Candidate, strong interest in rural med
2350 hours intensive paid clinical experience
~2000 more projected
100 Research hours
130 hours shadowing
165 hours non-clinical volunteering
-To join ambulance corps in coming months
310 Leadership hours
x000 non clinical employment
Some Ohio ties, but worried about stats
First gen to pursue beyond Associate’s degree

MD:
-TCU

-Albany Medical College

-Jacobs SOM (University of Buffalo)

-University of Rochester

-SUNY Downstate

-SUNY Upstate

-Stony Brook

-University of Vermont

-Quinnipiac

-University of Iowa

-Wayne State

-Western Michigan

-Dartmouth

-Drexel

-Geisinger

-Temple

-Penn State

-George Washington

DO:
-AT Still

-LECOM (Erie and Bradenton)

-Oklahoma State

-Touro Montana

-PCOM

Schools are in no particular order. Would love any suggestions on adding/taking off.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi, no expert at all. How did your first cycle pan out? What schools and where did you interview? I am also starting reapplication with similar stats and would recommend adding a few more DO schools and maybe reassessing some of your MD.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
WVSOM is a state osteopathic school so IS bias, but it has a big focus on rural medicine and has a warm school culture. And they have "fireside" chats so you can get to know the admissions team. NYITCOM-Arksansas is also focused on rural medicine, as is PNWU.

Reactions: 1 users
Hi, no expert at all. How did your first cycle pan out? What schools and where did you interview? I am also starting reapplication with similar stats and would recommend adding a few more DO schools and maybe reassessing some of your MD.
Fewer schools and no DO for my first cycle, did not receive any interviews. Feel as though I returned some secondaries later than I should have.

A 506 MCAT is not competitive for several of the schools on your list. I suggest these schools with your stats:
All 4 SUNYs
Albany
Vermont
Quinnipiac
Drexel
Temple
Penn State
George Washington
Eastern Virginia
Wake Forest
NOVA MD
Belmont
Creighton
Rosalind Franklin
Medical College Wisconsin
Oakland Beaumont
Wayne State
Alice Walton (when it opens)
Roseman (when it opens)
For DO schools I suggest these:
UNECOM
NYITCOM
Touro-NY
LECOM (all schools)
PCOM (all schools)
MU-COM
DMU-COM
CCOM
ATSU-KCOM
KCU-COM
AZCOM
TUNCOM
CUSOM

A 506 MCAT is not competitive for several of the schools on your list. I suggest these schools with your stats:
All 4 SUNYs
Albany
Vermont
Quinnipiac
Drexel
Temple
Penn State
George Washington
Eastern Virginia
Wake Forest
NOVA MD
Belmont
Creighton
Rosalind Franklin
Medical College Wisconsin
Oakland Beaumont
Wayne State
Alice Walton (when it opens)
Roseman (when it opens)
For DO schools I suggest these:
UNECOM
NYITCOM
Touro-NY
LECOM (all schools)
PCOM (all schools)
MU-COM
DMU-COM
CCOM
ATSU-KCOM
KCU-COM
AZCOM
TUNCOM
CUSOM
Thank you, there are some great suggestions on here that I overlooked. Any reason that you only recommend the NY Touro campus? I had been eyeing the Great Falls campus because I love Montana. I was also wondering why Oklahoma State was removed, as I felt I fit very well with their mission.

Thank you, there are some great suggestions on here that I overlooked. Any reason that you only recommend the NY Touro campus? I had been eyeing the Great Falls campus because I love Montana. I was also wondering why Oklahoma State was removed, as I felt I fit very well with their mission.
Oklahoma admits few non residents. Touro Montana is a new school with no match record yet.

Reactions: 1 user
Try my school TUNCOM for DO. Just curious why MD when your MCAT is low unless you are minority?

Here is a more realistic list:
Albany
EVMS
GWU
Loma Linda (only if you are SDA or a very devout Christian)
MCW
Oakland-B
Rosy Franklin
Rush
Temple
Tulane
U VM
Uniformed Services University/Hebert (just be aware of the military service commitment)
Wake Forest
Wayne State
All SUNYs
Any DO program. Include UNECOM.
I can't recommend LMU, SOMA, RVU, BCOM, ICOM and LUCOM, for different reasons. Avoid those new schools that haven't graduated a class yet, if at all possible.