MD School List? cGPA = 3.81 sGPA= 3.79, MCAT = 38

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OrbitalOverload

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey All,

I'm in the process of submitting my secondaries now, but I was hoping for some insight from those who know what schools I am competitive for at this stage in the game. I am applying for the current cycle. My states, major, extra-currics and experience are the following.

sGPA: 3.8
cGPA: 3.8
MCAT: 38

Major: Biology
Minor: Chemistry
Undergraduate: Small Liberal Arts College <100 USNWR

ECS: [Redacted for privacy]

School List:
SUNY Buffalo
Albert Einstein of Yeshiva University
SUNY Downstate
SUNY Upstate
Tufts University
University of Rochester
New York Medical College
Boston University
Hofstra University
Cornell University
New York University
SUNY Stony Brook
Mount Sinai School of Medicine
Jefferson Medical College
UMDNJ - New Jersey
University of Pennsylvania
University of Pittsburgh
Temple University
Yale University
Harvard University

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Do you think I am a competitive candidate at this stage in the game for Columbia, Cornell, Mt. Sinai, NYU, Harvard, Boston, Einstein? Those are my top choices..

Thank you in advance for your insight!

You should receive consideration for an interview at Einstein, Boston and NYU with your stats. Columbia, Cornell, Mt. Sinai and Harvard are more unpredictable due to all the competitive applicants they receive. You should consider adding at least 5 mid tier schools to your application since applying only to 7 very competitive schools is a bit risky even with stats as good as yours.

Members don't see this ad :)
The sky's the limit, Orbital. Aim high.

Agree with faha and would like to see a longer list, say, or 15 schools. Include your state schools, if any.

Do you think I am a competitive candidate at this stage in the game for Columbia, Cornell, Mt. Sinai, NYU, Harvard, Boston, Einstein? Those are my top choices..

Thank you in advance for your insight!

The sky's the limit, Orbital. Aim high.

Agree with faha and would like to see a longer list, say, or 15 schools. Include your state schools, if any.

Thanks a lot, Goro.

Just one last quick question, do you think I should be concerned about the moderate discrepancy between GPA and MCAT? I have a rising trend, but wasn't able to pull off a few A's here and there and had a crappy freshman semester.

Thanks a lot, Goro.

Just one last quick question, do you think I should be concerned about the moderate discrepancy between GPA and MCAT? I have a rising trend, but wasn't able to pull off a few A's here and there and had a crappy freshman semester.

There is no discrepancy.

Reactions: 1 users
Discrepancy??? Jeeze, you gotta work on the self-esteem!

Thanks a lot, Goro.

Reactions: 2 users
Hi Fellow SDNers,

I wanted to draw some attention to this thread to ask if anybody could post there thoughts on when they think I should expect to receive some II's. I was complete at most schools by mid september, and I understand that the process may take months. Will I be looking at II offers in November and interviewing in February?

Reactions: 1 user
Frankly, you may not receive any interview invites until January. Figure on that and you might be pleasantly surprised but at least you won't be disappointed if I'm right.

Did you do any bench research? Clinical research is nice and I respect applicants who have done it but adcoms at some of those schools might be looking for "hard science" experience. That's one point that could hold you back.

I do believe you should have at least 5 interviews by March 15th. Come back & tell me how well I did in my predictions.

Reactions: 1 user
Frankly, you may not receive any interview invites until January. Figure on that and you might be pleasantly surprised but at least you won't be disappointed if I'm right.

Did you do any bench research? Clinical research is nice and I respect applicants who have done it but adcoms at some of those schools might be looking for "hard science" experience. That's one point that could hold you back.

I do believe you should have at least 5 interviews by March 15th. Come back & tell me how well I did in my predictions.

Thanks for your time, @LizzyM. I have not participated in any bench research. I do believe that I have the opportunity to start engaging in that experience though, since the PI for the clinical study that I work on has offered to have me help out on his other, hard science projects. Do you think it would be worthwhile to engage in that, and to update school's on this new position at some point down the line?

Thanks again for your help.

And I will certainly keep you updated on your predictions. (Now to recalibrate my expectations though....)

Last edited:
If you have an opportunity to try bench research, and it interests you, then grab it. You can update your file in December or when you interview.

My prediction is usually a low-ball estimate. Let's hope we are both pleasantly surprised.

Reactions: 2 users
Are bench, hard, and wet labs synonymous? Are there any nuances between the terms?

why so low tier? Schools like Temple, NYMed, UMDNJ, SUNYs (unless you are instate) are generally going to overlook you. You have similar stats but better ECs than me, and that's what I experienced. Focus on mid tiers/top tiers. If you had applied early you would already have interviews at half your school list....If it gets later on in the season and you haven't heard much, send them an update letter to show make sure they know you are still interested.