This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wizarddoc2213

I am Beyonce, always.
5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone! Thanks in advance for all the help.
I have a preliminary list of schools that I want to apply to, and I am looking for feedback (what schools to add, remove, etc. based on my stats).

1. 3.65cGPA/3.6sGPA (Biology major with chemistry minor, GPA will most likely increase by the time I apply in June)
  2. MCAT= 511 (86th percentile). Breakdown of 127/127/129/128
  3. Pennsylvania resident, but I'll be working in CA over the summer (for what its worth)
  4. White female
  5. Undergrad school= Forbes Top 50 school, Forbes Top 30 Liberal Arts Universities
  6. 1250 hrs of clinical experience (ER tech, lots of shadowing, JHUCTY Health Assistant), ~200 clinical volunteering (at hospital and dementia ward)
  7. Honors Thesis in Chemistry, and over 250hrs of clinical research experience
  8. Shadowed cardiology(outpatient, inpatient, surgery), OBGYN (outpatient and surgery), neonatology, pathology, family medicine (inpatient and outpatient), emergency medicine
  9. Non-clinical volunteering= mentored low income/high risk teens
  10. Other extracurricular activities = 2 years Varsity XC/Track, teaching assistant, on the executive board for three clubs
  11. Dean’s List; Women’s Cross Country Academic Honors for High GPA; NCAA Division I League Cross Country Rookie of the Year; NCAA Division I Women’s Cross Country All-League Honors, Henrietta S. Treen Scholarship Recipient
Now to the schools...I am looking to apply to ~20 schools... PLEASE BE HONEST.

Goal Schools:
Georgetown
USF-Morsani SELECT (LOR from physician who teaches here)
Dartmouth
Tufts
Brown
Drexel
Temple (LOR from physician who did his training here)
Jefferson
Penn State
Boston
Commonwealth

Other Schools I'm interested in:
Cal Northstate
USC Keck
UCLA
George Washington
Rosalind Frankin
Loyola
Rush
Tulane
Oakland Beaumont
Wake Forest
Creighton
Albany
Einstein
Hofstra
Mount Sinai Icahn
New York Medical
NYU
Rochester
Ohio State
Virginia Tech
Vermont

Reach Schools (just in case it's my lucky day):
Pitt
UPenn
Hopkins (health assistant for their CTY, not sure if that matters but hey why not)
Mayo
Duke

Members don't see this ad.

As long as you apply to all your PA schools you can choose another 15 OOS schools from your lists and you should receive several interviews.

Do all of the schools on that list seem attainable though?

Members don't see this ad :)
Gotcha, thanks. Are there any other schools that I have on the list that are "unlikely" ??

Of your list, I suggest:

Georgetown
Dartmouth
Tufts
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
Boston
Commonwealth
USC Keck
George Washington
Rosalind Franklin
Loyola
Rush
Tulane
Oakland Beaumont
Wake Forest
Creighton
Albany
Einstein
Hofstra
New York Medical
Rochester
Vermont

Gotcha, thanks. Are there any other schools that I have on the list that are "unlikely" ??
NYU and Mount Sinai are also reaches but all your other schools are reasonable though your PA schools (Drexel, Temple, Jefferson, Penn State and Commonwealth) are where you are most likely to receive interviews.

NYU and Mount Sinai are also reaches but all your other schools are reasonable though your PA schools (Drexel, Temple, Jefferson, Penn State and Commonwealth) are where you are most likely to receive interviews.
Gotcha. Thanks! I have a huge upward trend going for my application (I took the MCAT twice and had a 14pt score increase, and my GPA has had an upward trend as well since sophomore year). How will schools look upon this?

Of your list, I suggest:

Georgetown
Dartmouth
Tufts
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
Boston
Commonwealth
USC Keck
George Washington
Rosalind Franklin
Loyola
Rush
Tulane
Oakland Beaumont
Wake Forest
Creighton
Albany
Einstein
Hofstra
New York Medical
Rochester
Vermont

Thanks! Any others that you suggest adding?

Gotcha. Thanks! I have a huge upward trend going for my application (I took the MCAT twice and had a 14pt score increase, and my GPA has had an upward trend as well since sophomore year). How will schools look upon this?
Some schools average MCAT scores but an upward GPA trend will help you.