School List Finalize

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Windem

7+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hey so first of all what kind of undergraduate institution did you attend? With regards to GPA, the way its looked at does vary and it might also explain possibly more difficult access to EC opportunities and research. The school list looks fine but a) eliminate out of state schools unless you have a great reason to go there b) look at mission statements and geographical and other factors to eliminate some of the reaches..youre basically almost applying to all the reaches possible. c) Craft a good personal statement which imo could help convey your passion for medicine enough to overlook some slightly weaker ECs.
Your stats are pretty amazing so as long as you do these things I'm sure you will be fine! You can look at my list (similar GPA, lower MCAT though) for reference too

Hey so first of all what kind of undergraduate institution did you attend? With regards to GPA, the way its looked at does vary and it might also explain possibly more difficult access to EC opportunities and research. The school list looks fine but a) eliminate out of state schools unless you have a great reason to go there b) look at mission statements and geographical and other factors to eliminate some of the reaches..youre basically almost applying to all the reaches possible. c) Craft a good personal statement which imo could help convey your passion for medicine enough to overlook some slightly weaker ECs.
Your stats are pretty amazing so as long as you do these things I'm sure you will be fine! You can look at my list (similar GPA, lower MCAT though) for reference too
Not trying to be annoying, but I disagree with some of your points. I'm going to use them to make a few points pf my own for the OP if that's cool:

A.) This statement would be true if you qualified it by saying "public out-of-state schools." Otherwise, there are many private schools (and even some public schools) that do not show an IS preference.
B.) Stats-wise no school is a "reach" for OP. His/her run of the mill ECs will definitely hurt him/her at the tip top med schools. Still, the EC bases are covered, so to speak.
C.) I guess it's possible, but I've never heard of it happening. It is just one essay after all, and AdCom members have seen and heard everything.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I forgot to say I'm from Canada.

I know super competitive private schools are unlikely for me. But what about schools like UVA, Case, Alberta Einstein, etc? I would love to attend one of those.

I forgot to say I'm from Canada.

I know super competitive private schools are unlikely for me. But what about schools like UVA, Case, Alberta Einstein, etc? I would love to attend one of those.
Make sure you only apply to schools that accept international applicants.
Your stats are still great. But yes, it is much harder to get in as a Canadian applicant. I would consider taking a gap year to beef up your ECs. You still might get in, but why risk the stigma of being a re-applicant?

Your stats are rock star, but the clinical hrs are very concerning. Get some more, stat! Think clinics, hospice, Ronald McDonald House, Planned Parenthood, crisis hotlines, or a camps for sick kids. there are ~60 MD schools that will take international students, and you have the stats for them.

I know my ECs are weak. What can I do to get more involved? Get a job? Try to get in on a lab?

Your stats are excellent; your ECs may not be "wow" but I think you have covered all the bases and are in a good position. But I think one area you can improve is shadowing.

What state are you from? Because it is important to add your state schools.

If you're gonna apply to the top schools I think you should add some mid-tiers and lower tiers just to be safe. Remove Brown (take too many of their own UG), GWU (too many apps), and GTown (too many apps). Replace them with some of these: Miami, Rochester, Vermont, Cincinnati, Ohio State.

Your stats are rock star, but the clinical hrs are very concerning. Get some more, stat! Think clinics, hospice, Ronald McDonald House, Planned Parenthood, crisis hotlines, or a camps for sick kids. there are ~60 MD schools that will take international students, and you have the stats for them.

I know my ECs are weak. What can I do to get more involved? Get a job? Try to get in on a lab?

He has 300 hrs of hospital volunteering and 90 hrs of nursing home volunteering, both spanning over 3 years. I think his clinical is excellent!

Your stats are excellent; your ECs may not be "wow" but I think you have covered all the bases and are in a good position. But I think one area you can improve is shadowing.

What state are you from? Because it is important to add your state schools.

If you're gonna apply to the top schools I think you should add some mid-tiers and lower tiers just to be safe. Remove Brown (take too many of their own UG), GWU (too many apps), and GTown (too many apps). Replace them with some of these: Miami, Rochester, Vermont, Cincinnati, Ohio State.

He has 300 hrs of hospital volunteering and 90 hrs of nursing home volunteering, both spanning over 3 years. I think his clinical is excellent!
OP is from Canada, that is a game changer.

Did see the 300, only the 90 hrs. If think that if any Canadian can crack a US medical school, it's OP.

He has 300 hrs of hospital volunteering and 90 hrs of nursing home volunteering, both spanning over 3 years. I think his clinical is excellent![/QUOTE]

Reactions: 1 user