School list for 30 MCAT/3.93cGPA/3.90sGPA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

deeproots

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all! I'm trying to narrow my list down for schools, and I'd love some Student Doctor insight. Here's some background info:

Graduated from a top public university on the East Coast in a special research program with a cGPA of 3.93, BCPM GPA of 3.90, and non-BCMA GPA of 4.00. I think I have pretty good ECs: shadowed a family medicine doctor, president of a science club for kids, 2+ years of research, advisor for transfer students. I took two years off between college and medical school, during which I moved to Texas (husband was in the military) and got a job as a therapist for kids with developmental disabilities. I'm also considered a disadvantaged applicant (screwed up childhood) and a first-generation college grad. I'm considered a Texas resident, although I've lived on the East Coast until about a year ago.

Now, here's my school list:
1. UT Southwestern
2. UT Galveston
3. UT Houston
4. UT San Antonio
5. Texas A&M
6. Texas Tech at Lubbock
7.University of North Texas Health Science Center (DO school)
8. Texas Tech Paul Foster
9. Baylor
10. Creighton University SOM
11. Michigan State
12. Oregon Health Science U SOM
13. Wake Forest

I'd like to bring my list up to 15 schools, but I literally have no idea where else to apply. I'm also unsure of my chances, so I don't know if I'm making good choices with my current list. Any and all advice would be VERY much appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi all! I'm trying to narrow my list down for schools, and I'd love some Student Doctor insight. Here's some background info:

Graduated from a top public university on the East Coast in a special research program with a cGPA of 3.93, BCPM GPA of 3.90, and non-BCMA GPA of 4.00. I think I have pretty good ECs: shadowed a family medicine doctor, president of a science club for kids, 2+ years of research, advisor for transfer students. I took two years off between college and medical school, during which I moved to Texas (husband was in the military) and got a job as a therapist for kids with developmental disabilities. I'm also considered a disadvantaged applicant (screwed up childhood) and a first-generation college grad. I'm considered a Texas resident, although I've lived on the East Coast until about a year ago.

Now, here's my school list:
1. UT Southwestern
2. UT Galveston
3. UT Houston
4. UT San Antonio
5. Texas A&M
6. Texas Tech at Lubbock
7.University of North Texas Health Science Center (DO school)
8. Texas Tech Paul Foster
9. Baylor
10. Creighton University SOM
11. Michigan State
12. Oregon Health Science U SOM
13. Wake Forest

I'd like to bring my list up to 15 schools, but I literally have no idea where else to apply. I'm also unsure of my chances, so I don't know if I'm making good choices with my current list. Any and all advice would be VERY much appreciated!
I cannot recommend OHSU due to regional preferences.
Frankly, you are unlikely to receive an interview offer as a TX resident for any of your OOS schools. We know that your IS chances are decent and why would you choose to attend a much more expensive school?

I cannot recommend OHSU due to regional preferences.
Frankly, you are unlikely to receive an interview offer as a TX resident for any of your OOS schools. We know that your IS chances are decent and why would you choose to attend a much more expensive school?

Thanks for your insight, gyngyn. I'm just trying to broaden my chances by adding in OOS schools. Plus, I'm trying to achieve that magic number of 15 schools to apply to. If I get into any of the Texas schools (excluding the DO school--that's my last resort), I'll go there for financial reasons. As you said, the Texas schools are much more reasonable in terms of finances.

Frankly, I'm pretty ignorant when it comes to this process, which is why I'm trying to gain insight from others.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for your insight, gyngyn. I'm just trying to broaden my chances by adding in OOS schools. Plus, I'm trying to achieve that magic number of 15 schools to apply to. If I get into any of the Texas schools (excluding the DO school--that's my last resort), I'll go there for financial reasons. As you said, the Texas schools are much more reasonable in terms of finances.

Frankly, I'm pretty ignorant when it comes to this process, which is why I'm trying to gain insight from others.
Normal, good TX residents (like you) are known to get into TX schools. Since TX schools are so much cheaper and sometimes even better than anything you are eligible for OOS, you are unlikely to get an interview at the OOS schools you have listed . Your only real OOS back up is DO. It doesn't look like you will need it.

The magic number in TX is 9, btw.

Normal, good TX residents (like you) are known to get into TX schools. Since TX schools are so much cheaper and sometimes even better than anything you are eligible for OOS, you are unlikely to get an interview at the OOS schools you have listed . Your only real OOS back up is DO. It doesn't look like you will need it.
I very much hope this is true. Again, I appreciate the insight!