School list for 4.0 with a 30

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

I Love Cats

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Could you all recommend M.D. schools to me. I have the MSAR and have a list already, but I'm afraid I'm cutting myself short in some places. Could y'all recommend schools please? Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Could you all recommend M.D. schools to me. I have the MSAR and have a list already, but I'm afraid I'm cutting myself short in some places. Could y'all recommend schools please? Thank you.

I pretty much have the same stats as you (pending MCAT scores. assuming lowest score of 30). Pretty much your MCAT scores is the limiting factor to where you can go.

I'm applying to the following if I get a 30.

Chicago Franklin
Tulane
Drexel
USC Kech
Loyola Chicago
Rush
Wake Forest
Creighton
Jefferson
Albany
NY Medical
Temple
Uni of Vermont

If I get 32-34ish I'll add the following schools. (note some will definitely be reach)

Loma Linda
Georgetown
Emory
St. Louis
UCSF
Johns Hopkins
UCSD
WashU
Duke

Hope that helps.

With that 30 list you have, do you think schools like Jefferson, USC and Albany for example are mcat reaches? I'm just hesitant because my gpa is awesome anywhere, and I'm unsure of how much it compensates for me to make me an appropriate applicant for certain schools that have mcat averages of 32-33 specifically.

Members don't see this ad :)
I also have a 30. My GPA is about a 3.8. I am picking schools that have averages at around 32 or lower and my reaches are around 33.

With that 30 list you have, do you think schools like Jefferson, USC and Albany for example are mcat reaches? I'm just hesitant because my gpa is awesome anywhere, and I'm unsure of how much it compensates for me to make me an appropriate applicant for certain schools that have mcat averages of 32-33 specifically.
Jeff and Albany have median MCATs of 32, making them good reaches for a 30. USC has a median MCAT of 34 making them a real reach for a 30.

How much can a 4.0 compensate for a 30? Can we talk in terms of how gutsy I can get with applying to certain media mcat schools. Like, obviously it isn't boost enough to apply to 35's.

I'm basing my list upon my LizzyM score excel sheet. I do notice for some of them, I have the low MCAT flag but I do think the gpa makes up a little for it.

Thanks for reminding me about that excel sheet. I'll give it a looksy. Based off that idea, can anyone explicitly point out schools that might be in my LizzyM range that would be pointless to apply to for whatever reasons OTHER THAN them being public state schools with low OOS acceptance.

It would be way more helpful of you just posted your school list.

OP here is my school list. Im also a CA resident

albany
cooper
creighton
drexel
george washington
georgetown
quinnipiac
jefferson
MCW
hofstra
rosalind franklin
NYMC
oakland
rush
temple
commonwealth
toledo
U of A
all the schools in California including UCSF (dream big why not you only live once!)
university of vermont
virginia commonwealth
SUNY schools
stony brook

As you can see, to pick my schools I mostly found schools with the lowest MCAT averages that are reasonably friendly to OOS kids like myself. If you know of any with lower averages please let me know!