School List Help! 3.91cGPA/3.89sGPA/507MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dudblue12

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi! I'm a long time lurker of this forum and I was hoping to get some criticism on my school list. I decided to take a gap year because of how late I was and the lack of clinical experience, so I will be applying for next year's cycle. I am an ORM (Asian) and a NJ resident at a large public university. I am also open to any suggestions on how to improve my application in the next 2 years as well! Thank you!

My Stats:
3.91 cGPA, 3.89sGPA, 507 MCAT (128/125/127/127)
Clinical shadowing: 120 hours as of this summer (neurosurgery, radiology, general surgery)
Research: 2 summers with 2 posters at 2 different symposiums ~600 hours total
Clinical volunteering: EMT from high school to beginning of college ~1500 hours total
Non-clinical: TA for General Chemistry 1 semester, E-Board for largest christian fellowship on campus ~1000 hours total
Work: University IT ~1000 hours
Awards: Dean's list, Top 10% Award
6 LOR (1 Research Professor, 1 TA, 4 Lecturer Professors) with more to come, however, I am unsure of quality
Fluent in Mandarin Chinese, Japanese

THINGS AGAINST ME:
1. Below Average MCAT, I'm pretty against taking it again since my senior year will be pretty busy. Prefer MD due to interest in more competitive specialties but I think spending 500+/1 more year or stress to change the letters behind my name is pointless.
2. Good chance I will not be able to secure a Committee Letter for MD because of my MCAT score, but I will have access to a Letter Packet.

MD School List (Aiming for 25-30)
Albany Medical College
Albert Einstein (reach)
Rosalind Franklin
Cooper
Creighton
Drexel
EVMS
Netter/Quinnipiac
George Washington
Georgetown
Temple
Loma Linda
Loyola
Marshall
Medical Uni of South Carolina College of Medicine
NYMC
Oakland Beaumont
Penn State
Rush (Thinking about doing volunteer work during my gap year)
NJMS
Robert Wood Johnson
Thomas Jefferson
SUNY Downstate
SUNY Upstate
TCMC
Tulane
Uniformed Services/Herbert
University of Vermont
Virginia Commonwealth
WVU
Western Michigan Stryker
Wright State

DO School List: (Aiming for 6-7)
PCOM
Touro-NY
Rowan
CCOM
LECOM
NYIT
WUCOM
UNECOM
NOVA

Members don't see this ad.

More DO schools! take a few of those schools off that receive more then 8k apps but you will forsure land a lot of DO ll's!

Marshall, South Carolina and Wright State accept few non residents with your MCAT. Add Medical College Wisconsin, St. Louis and any new private MD schools that open in 2018 (Seton Hall, etc.)

Members don't see this ad :)
@kawi609 I went through the list of DO schools and I choose them based on location since I feel i can be a little more picky with DO. Would 10 DO schools in total be good? I might add on LUCOM and CUCOM as well.

@Faha I will be sure to check out these schools as well! Is my MCAT low even though its above the 75th percentile of applicants on MSAR?

@gyngyn No, but I am Presbyterian, which aligns with Seventh Day Adventist beliefs. Loma Linda mentioned on their website they give preference to members of the church and didn't specify what denomination (so I assume I'm good? haha.) My friend's sister also got accepted a year ago who is also Presbyterian.

Reactions: 1 user
@gyngyn No, but I am Presbyterian, which aligns with Seventh Day Adventist beliefs. Loma Linda mentioned on their website they give preference to members of the church and didn't specify what denomination (so I assume I'm good? haha.) My friend's sister also got accepted a year ago who is also Presbyterian.
Just making sure. A lot of folks apply here not realizing that the primary commitment is to Christ. You must also affirm that you won't consume alcohol or have sex outside of marriage.

Reactions: 1 user
I recommend the following:

Temple
Jefferson
Drexel
Quinnipiac
WVU
Rosy Franklin
MCW
SLU
Creighton
Loma Linda (but read their list of don'ts)
Albany
NYMC
VCU
U VM
Oakland-B
Uniformed Services University/Hebert (just be aware of the military service commitment)
Rush (note: very service/experience oriented with a 150hr service requirement. Avg student has 800 hours of community service, and >1800 hours of health care exposure.)
Netter
Your state school(s).
Any DO school, starting with PCOM, Rowan, NYITCOM, LECOM and UNECOM.

Hi! I'm a long time lurker of this forum and I was hoping to get some criticism on my school list. I decided to take a gap year because of how late I was and the lack of clinical experience, so I will be applying for next year's cycle. I am an ORM (Asian) and a NJ resident at a large public university. I am also open to any suggestions on how to improve my application in the next 2 years as well! Thank you!

My Stats:
3.91 cGPA, 3.89sGPA, 507 MCAT (128/125/127/127)
Clinical shadowing: 120 hours as of this summer (neurosurgery, radiology, general surgery)
Research: 2 summers with 2 posters at 2 different symposiums ~600 hours total
Clinical volunteering: EMT from high school to beginning of college ~1500 hours total
Non-clinical: TA for General Chemistry 1 semester, E-Board for largest christian fellowship on campus ~1000 hours total
Work: University IT ~1000 hours
Awards: Dean's list, Top 10% Award
6 LOR (1 Research Professor, 1 TA, 4 Lecturer Professors) with more to come, however, I am unsure of quality
Fluent in Mandarin Chinese, Japanese

THINGS AGAINST ME:
1. Below Average MCAT, I'm pretty against taking it again since my senior year will be pretty busy. Prefer MD due to interest in more competitive specialties but I think spending 500+/1 more year or stress to change the letters behind my name is pointless.
2. Good chance I will not be able to secure a Committee Letter for MD because of my MCAT score, but I will have access to a Letter Packet.

MD School List (Aiming for 25-30)
Albany Medical College
Albert Einstein (reach)
Rosalind Franklin
Cooper
Creighton
Drexel
EVMS
Netter/Quinnipiac
George Washington
Georgetown
Temple
Loma Linda
Loyola
Marshall
Medical Uni of South Carolina College of Medicine
NYMC
Oakland Beaumont
Penn State
Rush (Thinking about doing volunteer work during my gap year)
NJMS
Robert Wood Johnson
Thomas Jefferson
SUNY Downstate
SUNY Upstate
TCMC
Tulane
Uniformed Services/Herbert
University of Vermont
Virginia Commonwealth
WVU
Western Michigan Stryker