MD School list help please. URM 3.7cGPA 3.7sGPA MCAT 33

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

drchris4791

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Everybody. I was hoping that I could get some feedback on my tentative school list.

I graduated from Fordham University last year and have been using my year off so far to study for the MCAT, teach, volunteer, and research. I am an NY resident and would like to stay in New York for medical school but its also been my dream to study and practice in California. I have heard that its pointless for me to apply in Cali however, so I may remove all of the California schools. I am also a Puerto Rican URM. I would appreciate any school suggestions or advice on applying in the northeast and in California (MD).

STATS/WORK/EC/VOLUNTEER
Biology Major/ Philosophy Minor
3 years as an active EMT (volunteer)
Shadowed a Peds ER physician (~100 hours)
Summer Undergraduate Mentorship Program at Einstein (Summer 2010)
Summer Undergraduate Research Program (SURP) at Einstein (Summer 2011)
1 and a half year long independent research experience at Fordham University
Summer Research experience abroad in Madrid, Spain at the Cajal Institute under a famous neuro P.I.
Currently at a Global health and Clinical Research Project abroad in Dublin, Ireland at St. James Hospital
Several conferences attended and posters presented
1 Semester teaching College Biology as apart of the STEP program (works with underserved students) paid
College Strive Mentor(weekly 2014) (guiding Bronx students through the process of applying to 4-year colleges) (volunteer)
Fordham Orientation Group Leader. 2 years mentoring and conducting small groups for freshman students (volunteer)
Head Organic Chemistry Tutor. 2 years running orgo tutor organization on campus. tutored classroom sizes of about 100 students as well as tutoring students one on one. (Volunteer/ then paid)

SCHOOL LIST

nyu
einstein
mount sinai
columbia *reach
cornell *reach
albany
hofstra
stony brook
boston university
georgetown
ucla
ucsd
ucsf
stanford *reach

Members don't see this ad.

Cali is lousy with >3.7 with >34 MCAT students, so it's an uphill battle. Not impossible, mind you, but I would count all those Cali schools as reaches, especially since you're OOS. Not sure how the URM would factor in for your numbers though.

If you're willing to consider Philly schools (close to NY!), I would look at Temple and Jeff. I have comparable numbers and had great luck at these schools. You might want to also consider Rochester.

bump. any feedback would be appreciated. I may remove all of the Cali schools. Thank you DrCharlemagne.