School List Help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

abdosemaan

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am from NYC, middle eastern, and underprivileged economically.
Junior in college (92 credits)
29 ON MCAT (10/8/11) (PS/VR/BS)
Biochemistry Undergrad

Current- After Spring 14' semester

cGPA
Current-3.952

sGPA
Current:3.948 (One B in Calc based Physics 2)

Courses Taken (SCI)
Calc 1-3
P Chem- Thermo
Analytical Chem
Orgo 1&2
Bio 1&2
Chem 1&2
Calc Based Physics 1&2
Physiology
Genetics

EC's
Ebay Store 30000k in sales yearly
Salesman in my fathers clothing store for 3 years, 2days a week
Research Lab- 200 hrs mesoporous silca
Volunteer at Hospital- 100 hours (all this year)
Shadowed my pediatrician- 20 hours
Unofficial tutoring for Orgo 2, Physics, and Physio; aprox 100 hours

My EC's arent so strong because of my dedication to school work, no clubs

LORs
Pre- med committee and 3 individual professors (all science, 1 is from my PI)

Awards
Deans list 2011-2014
STEAM Scholarship Spring 13'

Final Notes
This cycle's success is not defined by acceptance, but experience, I am 20 and ready to take a gap year if need be.

Which schools should I look to apply to ?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
List So Far
Stony Brook
Albert Einstein
Albany Medical College
Hofstra
NY Medical College
SUNY Downstate
SUNY UPSTATE
Rochester
Buffalo

If it helps I scored a 32 on the free practice MCAT offered by AAMC before I started preparing for the test in July
I need help with some out of state schools I have a legitimate shot of getting into

List So Far
Stony Brook
Albert Einstein
Albany Medical College
Hofstra
NY Medical College
SUNY Downstate
SUNY UPSTATE
Rochester
Buffalo

If it helps I scored a 32 on the free practice MCAT offered by AAMC before I started preparing for the test in July
I need help with some out of state schools I have a legitimate shot of getting into
Sorry, real data is needed. Any of these schools might be great or terrible choices depending on your MCAT and actual EC's. Right now you have an inadequate amount of shadowing. Depending on the nature of your hospital volunteering, you don't have much clinical experience, either. If you cannot speak authoritatively ( from experience) about your understanding of and commitment to a career of caring for the acutely and chronically ill, your chances will be small without regard to your metrics... Nice gpa, though.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry, real data is needed. Any of these schools might be great or terrible choices depending on your MCAT and actual EC's. Right now you have an inadequate amount of shadowing. Depending on the nature of your hospital volunteering, you don't have much clinical experience, either. If you cannot speak authoritatively ( from experience) about your understanding of and commitment to a career of caring for the acutely and chronically ill, your chances will be small without regard to your metrics...
I agree with you about the MCAT stat, but I am lucky enough to be a part of a cardio nursing (step down) unit, where I have direct patient/doctor/staff access,my role is to speak with patients about their life and stay at the hospital, also I have access to the supply room to bring necessities (water/napkins/socks) to the patients. During my hours I try to pick the brains of as many doctors that I can about their day to day life. On the patient care front, I have taken care of diabetic grandfather's blood pressure and meal plan for about 2 years. I also don't have any close relationships with other physicians outside of my pediatrician to ask to shadow.

Get a referral from him. How about community service?
Thanks for the great advice,the only community service I have done is 20 hours at a local foodbank, I plan on doing more service this summer. Is it possible to update the hours on a med school app as you do them or is it better to project hours that will be completed by August 2015, thanks again

Thanks for the great advice,the only community service I have done is 20 hours at a local foodbank, I plan on doing more service this summer. Is it possible to update the hours on a med school app as you do them or is it better to project hours that will be completed by August 2015, thanks again
Short term stuff tends to look like box checking, but you have to start somewhere. You're still a junior, though. If your MCAT is high enough the update on activities could push you past waitlist territory.

Short term stuff tends to look like box checking, but you have to start somewhere. You're still a junior, though. If your MCAT is high enough the update on activities could push you past waitlist territory.
Thank you for the great advice, I will look build on my extracurricular activities over the coming year; I will also update the thread when my gpa is updated and then when my MCAT score comes in.

Just to update
- Finished Junior Year with a 4.0 gpa leading to a cgpa of 3.952, sgpa of 3.948
- Started volunteering for Sandy rebuilding
- Starting new research on Alzheimer and tau this summer, post mcat
- Wrote a 10 page paper on my current research about engineering the structure of mesoporous silica for an independent study class.
- Looking to shadow more doctors post-mcat

Last edited:
Another Update
- Got a 29 on mcat (10/8/11) (PS/VR/BS)
- Scored 3 points less then practice average 32 (12/9.5/10.5)
-Holding up on applying until next year
- Shadowed an internist (15 hours)
- Still volunteering at local hospital ( Almost 150 hours now)

Would you guys recommend a retake in January?