School List Help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JPSmyth

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I wanted some input on my tentative school list, and I have a few questions.

I will be applying with a GPA around 3.85/3.9+, I haven't calculated it exactly yet and even if I do poorly the next two semesters there is no way it will drop below a 3.8.

I am a senior and I'll be applying June 2016 to take a gap year.
I haven't taken my MCAT yet, but I anticipate scoring over a 510 (based on practice test scores and how much studying I am going to do.) My goal score is between a 511-513, I will kill myself studying to get that score, and I don't think it is too unreasonable to aim for (before I get attacked for assuming I will score in this percentile)

My ECs are nothing amazing: shadowing 100+ hrs different specialties, volunteering hundreds of hours in a few different hospital departments, a little bit of nonclinical volunteering, worked a few jobs, tutored, research for a few semesters with a poster presentation, sports in college, etc.

I bought the MSAR and have been making my school list based off that, and this is what I have so far...
(I'm basing the old -> new MCAT conversions on percentile scores)
Albany Medical College (3.65, 32)
NY Medical College (3.63, 32)
Hofstra (3.7, 34)
Quinnipiac (3.6, 31)
SUNY Downstate – Brooklyn (3.8, 33)
Penn State (3.8, 31)
Rochester (3.8, 34)
Commonwealth Medical College – Scranton, PA (3.7, 31)
Tufts (3.7, 33)
Dartmouth (3.74, 33)
Wake Forest (3.7, 32)
Drexel (3.7, 32)
Temple (3.7, 32)
Thomas Jefferson (3.7, 33)
VCU – Richmond (3.7, 31)
Brown (3.7, 33)
Indiana University – Indianapolis (3.8, 31)
Rutgers RWJ – New Brunswick (3.72, 33)
Rutgers Newark (3.74, 33)
Cooper Med / Rowan – Camden (3.6, 30)

Lower MCAT Schools:
WVU (3.8, 29)
Eastern Virginia – Norfolk (3.7, 31)
Touro Manhattan DO
NYIT DO
PCOM
Rowan DO

I will apply to 17-20 schools, and if I really am not able to get my target MCAT score then I'll switch up my list with the lower MCAT schools I've listed and then some more.

I want to do everything in my power to make sure that I get an acceptance, so are there any experts on here that can tell me which schools I should/shouldn't apply to whether they're already on my list or not? And if you guys haven't noticed, I'd prefer to go to school in the northeast but I'm open to suggestions

Thank you so much for any input

Members don't see this ad.

If you score decently on the MCAT there is no reason to be going DO unless that's your preference.

I think that you'll be fine at the following. I removed some because they're state schools, and it's hard for OOSers to get into the, Brown favors their own grads. TCMC is small, quirky and hard for OOSers as well.

Always go for your state schools.
Suggest adding U VM to the list, and UNECOM.

I struck off Penn State because their parent body protected a child molester for 20 years.

Hofstra (3.7, 34)
Quinnipiac (3.6, 31)
Rochester (3.8, 34)
Tufts (3.7, 33)
Dartmouth (3.74, 33)
Wake Forest (3.7, 32)
Drexel (3.7, 32)
Temple (3.7, 32)
VCU – Richmond (3.7, 31)
WVU (3.8, 29)
Touro Manhattan DO
NYIT DO
PCOM
Rowan DO

Members don't see this ad :)
I think that you'll be fine at the following. I removed some because they're state schools, and it's hard for OOSers to get into the, Brown favors their own grads. TCMC is small, quirky and hard for OOSers as well.

Always go for your state schools.
Suggest adding U VM to the list, and UNECOM.

I struck off Penn State because their parent body protected a child molester for 20 years.

Hofstra (3.7, 34)
Quinnipiac (3.6, 31)
Rochester (3.8, 34)
Tufts (3.7, 33)
Dartmouth (3.74, 33)
Wake Forest (3.7, 32)
Drexel (3.7, 32)
Temple (3.7, 32)
VCU – Richmond (3.7, 31)
WVU (3.8, 29)
Touro Manhattan DO
NYIT DO
PCOM
Rowan DO

Thank you very much Goro, I will switch commonwealth medical college out for UVM, and definitely consider UNECOM if my score is less than expected. Should I really remove Penn State? The MSAR says they aren't too unfriendly to OOS

I just don't like them for moral reasons.

Thank you very much Goro, I will switch commonwealth medical college out for UVM, and definitely consider UNECOM if my score is less than expected. Should I really remove Penn State? The MSAR says they aren't too unfriendly to OOS

Reactions: 1 user
Penn State is fine for OOS, and I think you will be competitive. If you are really concerned with the morals of an institution you should eliminate Temple as well, but I really don't think that should be a deciding factor.

@Goro was making a somewhat joke.

Obviously best idea is to apply as broad as possible.

I was not joking. I rank Penn State in the same bin as LUCOM and CNU (but for different reasons) and cannot and will not recommend anyone going there.
Ok so lets say I'm (or better yet, you) are a borderline applicant. You would seriously eliminate a school that you are competitive for simply based on something that no on in their medical school had any idea about? I mean, the docs there were about as involved w/ Sandusky as any random Joe off the street!

I would never put them on my list either (not that they'd want me!). Any school that looks the other way to protect a pedophile has other skeletons that I do not want to find. Same goes for a school that covers up rape. Tone at the top.

I would never put them on my list either (not that they'd want me!). Any school that looks the other way to protect a pedophile has other skeletons that I do not want to find. Same goes for a school that covers up rape. Tone at the top.
I think you underestimate the number of schools this would include....

Reactions: 1 users
@md-2020 - I know :( if the school finds out, fires or expels the offender, I'm okay with that. Appropriate action was taken. In Penn State's case, they covered it up ... for years and let that less than homo sapien continue to rape boys. (and they wouldn't want me anyway - win/win :D )

I know this and I don't care. If you have a beef, tell it to the kids victimized by Jerry S.

Ok so lets say I'm (or better yet, you) are a borderline applicant. You would seriously eliminate a school that you are competitive for simply based on something that no on in their medical school had any idea about? I mean, the docs there were about as involved w/ Sandusky as any random Joe off the street!

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
http://www.ed.gov/news/press-releas...-open-title-ix-sexual-violence-investigations
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/05/01/college-sexual-assault_n_5247267.html

The following schools are under investigation for alleged mishandling of sexual assault cases. I've highlighted the ones associated with medical schools
  • Arizona State University
  • Butte-Glen Community College District
  • Occidental College
  • University of California-Berkeley
  • University of Southern California
  • Regis University
  • University of Colorado at Boulder
  • University of Colorado at Denver
  • University of Denver
  • University of Connecticut
  • Catholic University of America
  • Florida State University
  • Emory University
  • University of Hawaii at Manoa
  • University of Idaho
  • Knox College
  • University of Chicago
  • Indiana University-Bloomington
  • Vincennes University
  • Boston University
  • Emerson College
  • Harvard College
  • Harvard Law
  • Amherst College
  • University of Massachusetts-Amherst
  • Frostburg State University
  • Michigan State University
  • University of Michigan-Ann Arbor
  • Guilford College
  • University of North Carolina-Chapel Hill
  • Minot State University
  • Dartmouth College
  • Princeton University
  • City University of New York - Hunter College
  • Hobart & William Smith Colleges
  • Sarah Lawrence College
  • State University of New York at Binghamton
  • Denison University
  • Ohio State University
  • Wittenberg University
  • Oklahoma State University
  • Carnegie Mellon University
  • Franklin & Marshall College
  • Pennsylvania State University
  • Swarthmore College
  • Temple University
  • Vanderbilt University
  • Southern Methodist University
  • University of Texas-Pan American
  • College of William & Mary
  • University of Virginia
  • Washington State University
  • University of Wisconsin-Whitewater
  • Bethany College
  • West Virginia School of Osteopathic Medicine

:p

http://www.ed.gov/news/press-releas...-open-title-ix-sexual-violence-investigations
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/05/01/college-sexual-assault_n_5247267.html

The following schools are under investigation for alleged mishandling of sexual assault cases. I've highlighted the ones associated with medical schools
  • Arizona State University
  • Butte-Glen Community College District
  • Occidental College
  • University of California-Berkeley
  • University of Southern California
  • Regis University
  • University of Colorado at Boulder
  • University of Colorado at Denver
  • University of Denver
  • University of Connecticut
  • Catholic University of America
  • Florida State University
  • Emory University
  • University of Hawaii at Manoa
  • University of Idaho
  • Knox College
  • University of Chicago
  • Indiana University-Bloomington
  • Vincennes University
  • Boston University
  • Emerson College
  • Harvard College
  • Harvard Law
  • Amherst College
  • University of Massachusetts-Amherst
  • Frostburg State University
  • Michigan State University
  • University of Michigan-Ann Arbor
  • Guilford College
  • University of North Carolina-Chapel Hill
  • Minot State University
  • Dartmouth College
  • Princeton University
  • City University of New York - Hunter College
  • Hobart & William Smith Colleges
  • Sarah Lawrence College
  • State University of New York at Binghamton
  • Denison University
  • Ohio State University
  • Wittenberg University
  • Oklahoma State University
  • Carnegie Mellon University
  • Franklin & Marshall College
  • Pennsylvania State University
  • Swarthmore College
  • Temple University
  • Vanderbilt University
  • Southern Methodist University
  • University of Texas-Pan American
  • College of William & Mary
  • University of Virginia
  • Washington State University
  • University of Wisconsin-Whitewater
  • Bethany College
  • West Virginia School of Osteopathic Medicine

:p

****, that makes me sick.

Investigating does not, will never = convicted.

Until any of those schools is convicted and then admits to HIDING the case(S) for an extended period of time, the Sandusky/Penn State issue does not = anyone of those listed.

Whitewater does not have a medical school :p Madison does :)

Also, how awesome is it that the U of MN is not listed (they fired the AD that was sending naughty messages to women who were definitely not interested)

That just means they did not *mishandle* the case if the AD was fired :)

Also, how awesome is it that the U of MN is not listed (they fired the AD that was sending naughty messages to women who were definitely not interested)

I counted schools in the same system.

I find department of education investigations to usually be founded on legitimate concerns though. A random chick claiming rape won't cut it.

I know this and I don't care. If you have a beef, tell it to the kids victimized by Jerry S.

Ya, to be fair, most schools have incidents like this happening; they're just not as high profile (but just as scary and reprehensible). If you look through the news, you can definitely find them. It also doesn't end at exploitation of minors - sexual assault, hazing (which can lead to death or injury), hate crimes, the list goes on and on. I understand why you feel this way, what happened was atrocious, but just because it was highly publicized doesn't make it any less atrocious (in and of itself) than any of these other transgressions.

md-2020's list has some very well-respected schools on it that are under serious investigation for alleged incidents. It's not a thing to take lightly, but I also think it's mildly hypocritical to pick one particular incident and ignore everything else, particularly when recommending medical schools that may be only very peripherally involved in the incident itself (which tend to concentrate in the undergraduate domains, at least as far as I'm aware).

Sorry, to derail, just wanted to add my own thoughts in.

I would not; Whitewater is a backwoods, rural town; Madison is far removed from that and a top 15 university (and I hate the Badgers)

@WedgeDawg - I understand the view point but also know for me, there is a huge difference between 1 or 2 alleged incidences in an on-going investigation and a blatant coverup for 20 years of sexual abuse of young boys by the same person. Penn State's transgressions were covered up at the top of the university.

I would not; Whitewater is a backwoods, rural town; Madison is far removed from that and a top 15 public university (and I hate the Badgers)
FTFU

Well it's all the same administration (According to previously established logic here).

Penn State Med @ Hershey is like worlds away from PSU-UP as well.

Whitewater has a Chancellor and reports to the President of the UW system who reports to the Board of Regents (or something similarly named) Superior has the same set up as does La Crosse and probably River Falls. The President is not responsible for the day-to-day actions of the campuses but generally for overseeing that policies are followed on the other campuses and usurping allocated funds to those smaller schools for the greater benefit of the larger home institution.

You pointing out that my logic is flawed is skewed. I'm not saying I would not attend a school with an ongoing investigation. That could happen anywhere, anytime (remember, I work with lawyers, I see a lot of b.s.; lots and lots of b.s.).

I'm saying I would not attend a school that willfully and extensively covered up sexual abuse of young boys and allowed the perpetrator not only to remain on staff but WITH the young boys.

My issue with Penn State is:

the length the abuse was covered up; it is not like they found it and then investigated it; I'd have been okay with that; boy was abused (horrific), abuser was investigated and appropriate action taken; therefore, the abuse would have been stopped from ever occurring again to any other young boy

And yes, if UW-Madison had a rapist - say a faculty member - on campus that was known and he was perpetually allowed to continue raping on campus until someone had enough juevos to call the police, I would not attend there.

DANG YOU @md-2020 - I was working so hard on my 5 lines or less!!!!!;)

And @JPSmyth - I'm so sorry your thread for school list help got derailed!!

I am in my gap year applying to schools this cycle and I have almost identical stats and ECs to you (assuming you get your target MCAT). If you are a NY resident, apply to Stony Brook and Buffalo as well. Other than that our lists look similar. Feel free to PM me later in the cycle. Also make sure you apply as early as possible, make sure you expedite your transcript or just send it early (as this will stop you from getting verified), make sure your pre-health committee or letter writers send your letters early (as this will stop you from being complete at schools) and pre-write secondaries for all schools.