MD School List Help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

riley29

5+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Little long but overall this is largely fine.
You can ditch NYMC GW Gtown and Brown without reducing your chances of getting an acceptance.
If you want to optimize you can remove a few of top heavy options and/or swap with some OOS friendly options with an MCAT median around 34-35(ie Miami, Keck etc)

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Little long but overall this is largely fine.
You can ditch NYMC GW Gtown and Brown without reducing your chances of getting an acceptance.
If you want to optimize you can remove a few of top heavy options and/or swap with some OOS friendly options with an MCAT median around 34-35(ie Miami, Keck etc)

So, maybe take out Harvard and another tough school and replace with Keck and Miami? I know UPenn is up there, but I'm really tempted to keep it only due to geographic proximity to home.

Longitudinal care shadowing?

I apologize. Could you elaborate on what you mean by longitudinal care shadowing. I'm not quite familiar with the term.

I apologize. Could you elaborate on what you mean by longitudinal care shadowing. I'm not quite familiar with the term.
Most medical care is given by folks in non surgical specialties like IM, FM, peds...
An experience of office-based medicine makes one a more informed, and thus, more desirable candidate.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 1 user
Most medical care is given by folks in non surgical specialties like IM, FM, peds...
An experience of office-based medicine make one a more informed, and thus, more desirable candidate.

Ah ok I see. To answer your question, all of my shadowing has been with surgical specialties and EM. However, I could definitely get some primary care shadowing done. Definitely seems like it would be quite a different and valuable experience relative to the surgical specialty shadowing. Thanks!

However, the volunteering I do in the PPCU involves a lot of long term patient interaction. In other words, a lot of patients are there for weeks at a time and I would interact with them multiple weeks in a row often for a period of hours. Some of them get quite bored and just love to talk!

Updated the list based on some of the aforementioned recommendations. How does this look?

o Columbia
o Northwestern
o UPenn
o Vanderbilt
o WashU
o Cornell
o Yale
o Mt. Sinai
o Albert Einstein
o Emory
o NYU
o Tufts
o U of Michigan
o Pittsburgh
o Rochester
o UVA
o UMiami
o USC
o Boston U
o Cooper (Rowan)
o Dartmouth
o Rutgers Newark
o Rutgers Robert Wood Johnson
o SUNY Downstate

Thank you all for the help!

List in post #7 looks great. If you're looking to cut schools, I would take out Dartmouth and then Boston U. If you want to keep Harvard, there's no reason not to.

Interesting. So you really think Harvard is worth a shot?

I suggest swapping out U MI and U VA with all the NJ schools, and add or consider Hofstra. Consider adding Harvard. Delete Tufts, they're god-awful expensive, and I have a high regard for BU instead. Hopkins and Duke are also worth considering

o .Columbia
o .Northwestern
o .UPenn
o .Vanderbilt
o .WashU
o .Cornell
o .Yale
o .Mt. Sinai
o .Albert Einstein
o .Emory
o .NYU
o .Tufts
o .U of Michigan
o .Pittsburgh
o .Rochester
o .UVA
o .UMiami
o .USC
o .Boston U
o .Cooper (Rowan)
o .Dartmouth
o .Rutgers Newark
o .Rutgers Robert Wood Johnson
o .SUNY Downstate
[/QUOTE]

I think I have all of the NJ schools no? Are there others aside form Cooper, Rutgers Newark, and Rutgers RWJ? Also, whats the reasoning for removing U Mich and UVA? Is this simply because they are OOS? @Goro

You have them all. Seton Hall is trying to open one, but I have no idea when. And you can do better than Rowan.
I think I have all of the NJ schools no? Are there others aside form Cooper, Rutgers Newark, and Rutgers RWJ?

State schools favor the home team, and as such, your GPAs make me more conservative. U VM would love you.
Also, whats the reasoning for removing U Mich and UVA? Is this simply because they are OOS? @Goro[/QUOTE]

Ah ok yea I heard about Seton Hall organizing something but to be honest, I really have no clue about the details of their situation in particular. In terms of Rowan, would you say that it would simply not be worth applying to? Or, would you suggest applying anyway? @Goro

Regarding UVA and UMI that makes complete sense to me. However, it might be hard taking UMI off my list considering I have double legacy for the undergrad there. Not implying that has any impact on my chances there, simply a sentimental issue. I'll also look into UVM.

Thank you for your help! It is greatly appreciated.

Rowan is a DO school. IF you're really keen on Primary Care AND you desperately want to stay in NJ, then consider it. But you'll have much more career prospects at an MD school.

IF you have evidence of service to underserved populations, especially in rural areas, then TCMC might be worth considering as well.

Ah ok yea I heard about Seton Hall organizing something but to be honest, I really have no clue about the details of their situation in particular. In terms of Rowan, would you say that it would simply not be worth applying to? Or, would you suggest applying anyway? @Goro

Regarding UVA and UMI that makes complete sense to me. However, it might be hard taking UMI off my list considering I have double legacy for the undergrad there. Not implying that has any impact on my chances there, simply a sentimental issue. I'll also look into UVM.

Thank you for your help! It is greatly appreciated.

Hmm maybe I am mistaken but according to their site I think they are and MD program? @Goro "Cooper Medical School offers an array of healthcare-related educational programs. Our core focus is the four-year curriculum leading to the MD degree." http://www.rowan.edu/coopermed/education/

Last edited: