school list please comment

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

amad01

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
GPA 3.9+ MCAT 33 (12/10/11)
9 months research 1 pub
200+ hours hospice, 100+ hours ER
4 significant leadership roles
tutoring underserved high school students of a specific ethnic background
200+ hr community service long term
30+ hours shadowing
Significant volunteer experience with Native Americans, refugees from Africa, Asia, and the Middle East
speak Spanish, not hispanic

I would like to apply to 20-25 schools. If you could please help me with my school list, I would appreciate it. Any feedback is welcome.

Creighton
AZ phoenix
AZ tuscon
MCW
NYMC
Rosalind Franklin
Wake Forest
Loyola
Miami
Albert Einstein
St Louis
Iowa
Ohio State
Rochester
Baylor
Northwestern - reach
UCLA/UCSD/USC (I know this is probably a waste but I am applying to one of these schools)
U Michigan -reach
Mnt Sinai - reach
Vanderbilt -reach
NYU - reach
PITT - reach
Emory - reach

I would like to cut out about half my reaches ( I would prob cut the last three) and add a couple of schools that look for work with the underserved or Spanish. My state school is not included, and all these schools are out of state. Thanks.

note: Is there going to be a Mayo Clinic in Arizona? If so I would also apply there....

Members don't see this ad.

GPA 3.9+ MCAT 33 (12/10/11)
9 months research 1 pub
200+ hours hospice, 100+ hours ER
4 significant leadership roles
tutoring underserved high school students of a specific ethnic background
200+ hr community service long term
30+ hours shadowing
Significant volunteer experience with Native Americans, refugees from Africa, Asia, and the Middle East
speak Spanish, not hispanic

I would like to apply to 20-25 schools. If you could please help me with my school list, I would appreciate it. Any feedback is welcome.

Creighton
AZ phoenix
AZ tuscon
MCW
NYMC
Rosalind Franklin
Wake Forest
Loyola
Miami
Albert Einstein
St Louis
Iowa
Ohio State
Rochester
Baylor
Northwestern - reach
UCLA/UCSD/USC (I know this is probably a waste but I am applying to one of these schools)
U Michigan -reach
Mnt Sinai - reach
Vanderbilt -reach
NYU - reach
PITT - reach
Emory - reach

I would like to cut out about half my reaches ( I would prob cut the last three) and add a couple of schools that look for work with the underserved or Spanish. My state school is not included, and all these schools are out of state. Thanks.

note: Is there going to be a Mayo Clinic in Arizona? If so I would also apply there....
I've seen applicants with weaker research get into Northwestern, Baylor, NYU, and Mt Sinai when they had remarkable strength in other realms of endeavor as you do.

If Rosalind Franklin, then why not Rush? If Creighton and Loyola, then perhaps SLU and Georgetown as well?

I've seen applicants with weaker research get into Northwestern, Baylor, NYU, and Mt Sinai when they had remarkable strength in other realms of endeavor as you do.

If Rosalind Franklin, then why not Rush? If Creighton and Loyola, then perhaps SLU and Georgetown as well?

Thanks for the input. I was thinking of dropping Emory and probably Pitt as well. I have St Louis on my list I assume that's what you mean by SLU? I considered both Rush and Georgetown but took them off my list due to high number of applications, I will look more into Rush though...

Members don't see this ad :)
My suggested list (do not waste time or money for the OOS public schools with an avg MCAT; the UCs will appreciate your donation in the form of the app fee.)

Creighton
AZ phoenix
AZ tuscon
MCW
NYMC
Rosalind Franklin
Wake Forest
Loyola
Miami
Albert Einstein
St Louis
Northwestern - reach
Mnt Sinai
Vanderbilt -reach
PITT - reach
Your state school
Albany
Rush
Penn State (maybe...my one exception to my note above)
all new MD programs

My suggested list (do not waste time or money for the OOS public schools with an avg MCAT; the UCs will appreciate your donation in the form of the app fee.)

Creighton
AZ phoenix
AZ tuscon
MCW
NYMC
Rosalind Franklin
Wake Forest
Loyola
Miami
Albert Einstein
St Louis
Northwestern - reach
Mnt Sinai
Vanderbilt -reach
PITT - reach
Your state school
Albany
Rush
Penn State (maybe...my one exception to my note above)
all new MD programs

Can I ask why you would drop Rochester? I was a little on the fence with applying there already.... Penn state is private how is it an exception to your note? Thank you for your help!

Because I'm a ***** and I wasn't looking at the MSAR when I drew up my list. Rochester is no reach for you; definitely go for it.

As for Penn State.... you'd think a school with the word "state" in the name would be public. So, yeah, keep that one too.

Can I ask why you would drop Rochester? I was a little on the fence with applying there already.... Penn state is private how is it an exception to your note? Thank you for your help!

Is it worth it to apply to the texas schools?