MD & DO School List Refinement (507, 3.7cGPA, 3.6sGPA)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ryeguy

Reaction score
Year in school: BS in Bio from a UC

Country/state of residence: US, California, white male

Schools to which you are applying: 32 MD, 14 DO (highly tentative)

MD:

1. Drexel
2. Penn state
3. Jefferson
4. New York Medical College
5. Michigan State
6. Temple
7. Wake Forrest
8. Tulane
9. GWU
10. Albany
11. Nova MD
12. Virginia Commonwealth
13. Wayne State
14. Netter
15. Eastern Virginia
16. U Toledo
17. Seton Hall
18. Rosy Franklin
19. Loyola
20. West Virginia
21. University of Vermont
22. Rush
23. Medical College of Wisconsin
24. Saint Luis
25. Creighton
26. Oakland-B
27. Gtown
28. TCU/UNT
29. CalU Med
30. UCD
31. UCI
32. UCR

DO:

33. Western Pomona
34. Nova (GF goes here)
35. LECOM
36. DMU-COM
37. KCU-COM
38. ATSU-KCOM
39. ATSU-SOMA
40. PCOM-PA
41. AZCOM
42. CCOM
43. MU-COM
44. CUSOM
45. Rowan
46. NYITCOM

Cumulative GPA: 3.7

AMCAS Science GPA: 3.6

AACOMAS Science GPA: 3.5 (I took a lot of math classes)

MCAT Scores: 507 (all subsections >=125)

Research: 1300+ hours over 2.5 years 1 abstract/1 presentation and another abstract in works

Volunteering (clinical):

• Pathmaker internship (CNA-esque stuff over multiple departments like ICM/ICU, MST, ED) - 320 hours
  • Spent 4 Summers (8 months) in Iran(I have family there) where I got to participate in mostly PACU/post op inpatient care, 230 hours
  • Cancer outreach for 6 months, 80 hours (ended because program dissolved)
Physician shadowing
  • 30 hours with a radiation oncologist
  • 12 hours with nephrologist
  • (200+ hours with general surgeon in Iran if that counts don't know how to weigh this)

Non-clinical volunteering:

• 400+ hours as a wellness coach for my local YMCA
  • 120+ hours as youth basketball coach sporadically over 5 years

Extracurricular activities:

• Board member of car enthusiast club while in undergrad 2+ years (still active as alum)
  • Basketball player
  • Fisherman
  • Aquarist
  • Trilingual

Employment history:

• 2 years in pharmacy (~3000 hours)
  • 5+ years in automotive sales

LOR:

• 5 Science
  • 1 non-science
  • 1 P.I
  • 2 MD
  • Do no not have DO letter and was not able to shadow DO.

Immediate family members in medicine? (y/n): No

Specialty of interest: FM -> SM, IM

Graduate degrees: None

Interest in rural health (y/n): yes

Please be ultra-realistic with me and help me thin out this list or change schools, I appreciate you all, thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

You are competitive for all the DO schools on your list but Rowan accepts few non residents. Your MD list is good and you should receive interviews.

Reactions: 1 user
The 200 hours of shadowing your Iranian surgeon/experience... I think it varies because you're not observing in the context of the US health care system. It's a good comparison point though. I would work on more primary care shadowing though since you say you're interested in family medicine. The CNA stuff will help but more obvious shadowing will be good to cover your bases.

Reactions: 1 user
The 200 hours of shadowing your Iranian surgeon/experience... I think it varies because you're not observing in the context of the US health care system. It's a good comparison point though. I would work on more primary care shadowing though since you say you're interested in family medicine. The CNA stuff will help but more obvious shadowing will be good to cover your bases.

It was a very different experience, as you can imagine things are quite different in the Iranian medical system. But that experience was definitely worth it, there were undoubtedly some very pronounced differences but there were also many similarities to what I saw in the U.S.

I was fortunate enough to have a (FM) DO allow me to shadow in March but due to the pandemic, they had to cancel. When this all blows over I will still try to shadow a few times but I do not think it will weigh into my application.